Tech Question

boone

Greenie
Mar 12, 2007
I have narrowed down which brand of detector i want to buy (Whites) but, which model. I am a scuba diver and plan on searching underwater. The issue of VLF or PI has me confused. I dont plan on using the detector in salt water. Indiana does not have much to offer in ocean front beaches so, wet salty sand is not any issue. Would the Surf PI Pro search deeper in the ground compared to the Beach Hunter? Which unit has a better advantage in freshwater. Also, whats the difference between a higher/lower operating frequency? I sort of understand its how many signals are shot into the ground and recieved back to the unit.

The majority of my hunting will be done on dry ground. Would the Beach hunter preform as well as a dry unit (ie. the MXT). I understand this is a very broad question and wonder if, I should consider buying two situation specific units. If anybody owns a beach hunter, I would appreciate your experience with its use above and below the water.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Here is the deal. PI or pulse induction units are deeper than VLFs and are commonly used in salt water. PI units do not have the discrimination features as a VLF does(dig it all). In salt water iron will eventually rust away whereas in freshwater lakes- iron will be there forever. So freshwater hunters use the Beach Hunter(VLF) with discrimination for all that iron and saltwater hunters use PIs which have no to poor discrimination.

Whites by the way is coming out with a surf discriminating PI this year which may be good(depending on the level of iron discrimination) for both.

Hope this helps
George

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
if you're going to stay above the 25 foot mark then the BH ID is the way to go so you don't use up your air digging a lot of junk items. The PI Pro can go to 200 feet but does not disc and you'll have to dig everything. It's up to you whether or not the disc feature is worth it or not.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I understand it, lower VHF penetrates deeper while higher finds smaller objects. Don't know nuffin about underwater detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions