MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

I just think metal detectors could be much more accurate than they are.. :icon_scratch: After all computers can do almost anything, with today's tech.
I just think detectors should be able to spot a bottle cap and know when a tin can is not a coin. :dontknow: I just can't stop thinking how it seems the technology is behind what it should be able do. :thumbsup:
Anyway I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking if it is possible to build much more accurate detectors (currently) we'd probably be seeing them on the market. I'm no expert on electronics and although I get around pretty well on a computer, it seems to me that the laws of physics play a part in your question and they may set the limit for what is possible. My two bits.
luvsdux

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To many venerable for a detector to be right a 100%
your eye are your best discrimination...
when they put a meter on a pulse detector then your question will be answered...
and white's will probably be first to put a meter on a pulse inducted detector
and the rest will steel it and copy like always...

liftloop

posted with windows xp

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy if I could just get my Deus, to reject coke....

SS

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coke as in cane or brothers....

liftloop

posted with windows xp

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copied from another forum................Frequency is the cycles of resonated signal that is sent by the oscillator circuit, down into the two coils. One coil is the Tx coil, the other coil is the Rx receiver coil. The ground, which is the receptor of this frequency, can be in many different conditions, at the very moment of the transmission of the freqency.

For example, the ground can be water saturated from a heavy rain, frozen from extreme cold, dried out dryer than a camel that has been in the desert without water for two weeks, covered with snow, covered with sand, gravel, clay, cement, and so on.

Electronic parts can be brand new, can be old, extremely cold, newer superior kinds of electronics compared to older vintage kinds of electronics, so you can see the variabilites here...

The simpliest form of metal detector requires merely looking at the amplitude changes coming to a detector into its Rx coil, and these can be shown by a simple analog needle meter, or a more complex meter.

Now when you begin to consider the more complex TID meters, which not only tell you the conductive characteristics of the target, but its depth, you add to the complexitity of the detector.

You see here with target identification, we are not concerned just with the amplitude changes, but are now looking toward something else, phase changes of the received signal in the receiver circuits as well...

Also each metal in the ground has its own resonate frequency, according to George Payne, and the closer you get the oscillators frequency to the particular target you are in search of, then that changes things in the view that you are looking toward. For example if you are seeking just gold, or seeking silver, or seeking any kind of coin, or seeking any kind of jewelry, all of these things must be taken into effect in reaching a conclusion that you are desiring... The closeness of the target to the coil also comes into perspective.

Then we must consider the time period that the targets remained within that soil, and we must compare the kind of soil it is, how much minerals it has, what kinds of minerals it has, and so on... Soil conditions are important.

Now that I have mentioned all of those, I will say "there is NO all-inclusive metal detector, that you can select, that will do everything for you, exactly like you would want it done". I just dashed all hope to the ground. But it is true! When you eat steak you select a fork and a knife as your tool. When you eat soup you select a soup spoon. When you stir the sugar in your coffee, you select the smaller teaspoon. Those are tools. A metal detector is a tool, a tool that has an ability to see an electromagnetic field... So depending on the task you have in mind, you select the proper metal detector tool for that job.

Then you have to understand that an bottle cap is a ferrous thing, as it belongs to the ferrous class, but can be separated from the aluminum class, which consists of thinner pieces of sheet aluminum, and those can be separated from the coin class, which are more thicker pieces of conductive metal. Then there is rusty iron. These have to all be taken into comparison with each other, and each is a different kind of conductive target, each affects each other and maskes each other, and each has a different resonate frequency...

In other words you shoud not compare apples with oranges, but only apples with apples, or much better compare Jonathan apples with only Jonathan apples, and then also, restrict the apples all to the same size for comparison...

So now I am going to agree with you. Frequency in KHz is just a number. But those numbers, what they are, what they do, are relevant to everything I mentioned above, to those cycles of frequency.

Now what was it you wanted to know? I seem to have been side tracked for some reason, and I have forgotten the question. So my final answer has to be, "yes and no" and "depending upon"!

I am still working on who came first, "the chicken or the egg"?
Melbeta

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope....tried that, tried just about everything, some times dig it at about 4 inches. SS
well that's sad I've only got about 12 hrs on my deus haven't tried a lot of things trying to get a little more experience ps do you have a good silver coin program (normal soil parks)

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get to know what your detector is telling you and you will be able to tell the differences. Only pull tabs with no beaver tail attached gets me every time.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get to know what your detector is telling you and you will be able to tell the differences. Only pull tabs with no beaver tail attached gets me every time.
yea I know swing swing no shortcuts but I knew my old detector so well it's hard to be back to square one .i think it's harder with a deus because there's so many options for settings makes me want to mess with them slowing down the learning process really

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one thing I love about the M6, silver gives a very high tone, you know It's silver.
Gold is another story, maybe when I really get to know how to use it I will be able to tell the difference between gold and aluminum! There has to be a difference of some sort minuscule as it maybe, but still a difference.
I will have to become the detector whisperer!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two words,

AT Pro

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

He said he wanted to dig less bottle caps not every bottle cap in a 1/4 mile radius

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder what Apple / Steve Jobs would have come up with??
Even in terms of how a detector "looked"?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well that's sad I've only got about 12 hrs on my deus haven't tried a lot of things trying to get a little more experience ps do you have a good silver coin program (normal soil parks)
You won't have trouble finding any type of coins using just the pre set factory programs, coins tend to come through quite clear and load, but I never use the screen and just listen to the headphone tones, but any field that has coke in...I have a nightmare as the signals to are very clear from the coke, infact they sound just like a hammered coin...I think I will be saying goodbye to the Deus very soon.

SS

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this coke you speak of?

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't have trouble finding any type of coins using just the pre set factory programs, coins tend to come through quite clear and load, but I never use the screen and just listen to the headphone tones, but any field that has coke in...I have a nightmare as the signals to are very clear from the coke, infact they sound just like a hammered coin...I think I will be saying goodbye to the Deus very soon. SS
the odds me finding a hammered are pretty slim I would think if the deus can't distinguish the coke not much will but that's not experience talking just research before my purchase. I've only done parks thus far but plan to switch to my cellar holes when I'm more apt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The simple truth. New detectors work the same as old detectors, That is the TR/ VLF type.
The detector constantly sends and receives a signal. The logic in the computer chip compares the signal strength of the transmitted and received signal. On this differential, the chip 'guesses' what the object is based on pre programmed results from lab tests. Here's the kicker, It is based on size/depth info which means an object that is shallow and small will read the same as an object that is deep and larger. Hay, the tones are not from the target, they are generated by the chip based on it's estimate of the target. So it is all guesswork by the chip. And the best chip wins. If there is a quarter in the ground, my 13+ year old XLT will show quarter, every time.
Just some info from an old tech. Frank...
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MD gives you a best guess……the definitive answer is with your eyes…..
As has been said many times on the forum, you need to know your machine… and that gold often shows up as something else…..
Vaya con Dios

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread