New at Metal Detecting

Buckwheat

Apr 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all, I am new at this metal detecting and trying to not get discouraged...any advice out there? Have been out in the field for on average around 40 hours now. Still trying to figure out all the sounds that my Garrett Ace 350 does. I read and reread the manual to it and watch instructional videos on YouTube and still not digging up even old coins. Spent most of the day at an awesome early 1800's homesite....complete with cellar and foundation... wow but not finding anything, just rusty old square nails. Detector says "coins" but dig up nails. I ignore the junk iron targets...just thought surely there would've been something out there today for us to find.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some sites lack coins. Rare but it happens.Some people did not carry money much and some had little to lose. But keep access to where you hunt now if you can to revisit when your more comfortable with coins. Nail heads are stimulating as are bent nails, they are round and a type of metal,should the detector say something or ignore it? I,ll take let me know as it is trying to help me find a round metal object.You have lots of nails.Most were likely part of a structure there that collapsed. Where are coins that were there before the nails and how can you reach them through a layer of iron? Take a coin and nail and experiment with what you can tell with nail on top of,along side of ect.. Your location not mine so soil conditions likely differ but I start out usually in jewelry mode and two bars knocked off the sensitivity(if in doubt go a notch lower) and iron discriminated up to foil. Most iron is a low tone but you will find foolers on some nails and other items. All ways check after a recovery as scores have come after removing iron that blocked/stepped on a coin. Plant a test garden with likely targets that,s labeled or a piece of cardboard or a rug with objects secured to backside to practice. At least toss a coin close and test on it though long buried can ring up better. Try a public park maybe and dig some newer stuff. Its learning the detector is all.High tones get my attention. Swinging tight on them to get a narrow target is great chance. stuff running up and down or back and forth,is usually not the greatest but one way to be sure. Lowest tone is ..well you know unless you want iron. A ding ding ding high tone when coil is barely swung like the target is narrow is often the winner in coins. A two inch same tones often a bottle cap but to be sure dig them till you can call one before you dig.(I still dig a few,they sound so good when hunting is slow l.o.l.)So if your on a site wondering, drop a cent where you can see it and swing over it for that ding ding ding to test. Iron can distract you and your detector. If you think a coin is in there keep cleaning out the iron. To often when I am pinpointing I get suckered into the stronger iron and it can put me digging something two or three inches away from a coin because the iron is yelling hey over here!With the settings I start with iron gets nulled a bit BUT and this is important to not miss areas, if icon stays lit up while iron is being nulled the detector is not reading anything else till it goes out. Keep at it and holler if different sites don,t produce coins,if that,s what your after. H.H.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may help you to join a metal detecting club, more hands on help, and advice.

OP
OP
B

Buckwheat

Apr 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice...I am really anxious to get back to that old homestead before the summertime weeds take off. I could spend a whole day over there exploring. Husband tells me to be patient in learning how to use the Garrett but very thankful for this website with all this info. to read. We love exploring old home sites.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Two words of advice: dig everything. Discriminating metal detectors are notorious liars.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check this out......you are gonna dig junk.Sometimes your detector will be right..sometimes not.If you like to explore than explore but know that it is a lower percentage hunt than a park or soccer field or such.I rarely hunt parks and such as they just dont get me excited anymore.I prefer being alone in the woods.
All that said you cant discount the,"fluke"finds that low percentage hunts give up.My last gold ring came from a deep woods spot that I had no particular reason to hunt...and its a 13 grm.honker

have fun...hit all types of hunts to learn what is fun...dig it all till you can id at least half correctly.
cheers

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be patient and try ad learn your machine. Also like Bigfoot said,sometimes you're gonna dig junk. My Minelab reads a penny and a minie ball the same ID number and a quarter and a nail as the same number so I dig a lot.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell your hunting the right spots. :icon_scratch: Just keep digging you'll find older things/coins soon enough... :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wise-people-good-advice.png .....Pay attention to what these people are telling you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions