Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree434Likes

Thread: Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6939 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by relicmeister View Post
    ....Maybe too many people were asking for permission?
    I notice you're the first person on this thread musing that possibility. Others , like liftloop, wonder if someone didn't fill their holes. But others after that correctly point out that can't POSSIBLY be the reason, since it's a beach for crying out loud! (not a turfed park). Still others have pointed to the cultural heritage archie stuff (afterall, oh the horror if you disturbed a 51 yr old penny, doh!).

But all such things "holes" or "51+ yr. old relics" STILL have to "appear on the radar" of busy-body thinker legislators, to even be dreamed up, to begin with. In other words, if those are really the "all-fired concern", then, .... why just now coming up? I mean, haven't detectors been around for 30 to 40 years and no one ever cared prior to this? So you have to ask yourself, what put this on the radar as a "pressing issue" that now needs addressing ?

And to answer that, you may have a point relicmaster.

And whenever we hear about the 50+ yr. junk, we say to ourselves "durned those archies", right? Yet fail to realize that often time it's merely our own selves going and making ourselves a giant red X in need of their princely sanction, when it's their very desk's our "can I detect" questions land on! It's as if we can be our own worst enemy at times
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Apr 22, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
    boris likes this.

us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine, Central Florida
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    6154 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    This is another reason to not give mass another dime...Screw that communist state!
    Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...
    plp1.org

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6939 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Also note: another sad part about this (threads like this, which bring about the "coming to a town or state near you" fears), is that guess what it instills in the minds of md'rs to do ? If the perpetual drone of "off-limits" beach or city or whatever comes up on threads, it instinctively creates the "check to find out" mentality. Afterall, no one wants to break any laws, now do they ? So what's the best way to find out if your city, or your county, or your state allows or forbids detecting ? TO ASK, of course. Is anyone seeing the vicious self-fulfilling circle ?
    boris likes this.

us
    Wheres The Gold

Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250 Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
    2305 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    h. Use or offer for use metal detectors, except with permission from DCR personnel, for the purposes of locating lost personal property.

Try this I Am Not trying to locate Personal Property I'm Just Having Fun and Helping Clean Up All of the Bottle caps, Pull tabs, And Can slaw. Then Pull it out of your Pouch and Hand it to Them!!! Then Say Your Also Helping the Environment By Removing Toxic waste Then Hand them The Lead Weight and Sinkers Then Say I would Like the Lead Back I can Pay for the Batteries I Use to Clean Up This Mess!!! We also pick up All of the Broken Glass We See that You Child or Grand Child Will Step out Gashing Their Foot Open!! Thousands Of Dollars there With Obama Care OOPS Bad Chug
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

us
    Nov 2012
    Nashville
    Minelab x-Terra 505
    4476 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Of course I don'thave a dog in the hunt living in Tennessee but I think if this thing goes through it could also carry over to other areas as well in other states like our beautiful lake shorelines.let us know what you find out Msbeepbeep.
    Chug And Red and Msbeepbeep like this.
    "What if it's not just another pull tab?" - Lance

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8199 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks TH for the info. I have to find out who is trying to get the petition signed to stop this, he's gonna need help.
    I thought our overlords were supposed to be on summer vacation July-Aug. no they are up to no good!

Relicmeister - there are towns here that prohibits smoking "in public" that would be the great outdoors!

I don't think people were asking if they could detect that caused this. I think it was more of a "camels nose under the tent" type thing, because they already had the " no detecting " in a state parks except on the beaches, law in place. I think this was the plan all along, just shove it thru quietly when no ones looking. There must have been some in put or blow back for them to even make the exclusion of "with permission" and "looking for lost objects". Guess the lawmakers don't want to walk home if they lose their car keys on the beach! Then it's ok to search for them after we play a round of "mother may I" with the state.

CoilyGirl your probably right this will spread like the poison it is!

I know there are a lot of detector users on the cape, I can't imagine that they are happy with this!

Anyone seen Baker I believe he belongs the MTHA a detecting club in Watertown, MA. There's also the Gateway on Cape Cod, and I believe the Silver City (?) club in Taunton. Wake up people we are being attacked!
    It maybe one of their members that started the petition to stop this.

Wish us luck! David is about to throw a rock at Goliath!

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilyGirl View Post
    Of course I don'thave a dog in the hunt living in Tennessee but I think if this thing goes through it could also carry over to other areas as well in other states like our beautiful lake shorelines.let us know what you find out Msbeepbeep.
    CoilyGirl, I travel to Knoxville a couple times a year ( I happen to be up here this week). I have a friend in Manchester that tells me detecting is already banned at any body of water associated with TVA? He tells me that it used to be allowed if you had a permit, but was banned altogether several years ago. He also tells me schools and about any public places are off limits.
    Last edited by Fletch88; Apr 23, 2014 at 05:06 AM.
    Msbeepbeep and Davers like this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Nashville
    Minelab x-Terra 505
    4476 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch88 View Post
    CoilyGirl, I travel to Knoxville a couple times a year ( I happen to be up here this week). I have a friend in Manchester that tells me detecting is already banned at any body of water associated with TVA? He tells me that it used to be allowed if you had a permit, but was banned altogether several years ago. He also tells me schools and about any public places are off limits.
    I would not be surprised at at Fletch. Schools I'm not sure of,we have gotten permission before just by calling and have seen no signs posted.
    Msbeepbeep likes this.
    "What if it's not just another pull tab?" - Lance

Jun 2013
    Texas
    gazrret & bounty hunter
    156 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm going to bet if MD ers in Mass. look over their shoulder they will see a new high end housing development,golf coarse,or some other projects that some politician or politicians have their fingers in. Or you can bet your butt that something is in the planning stages that hasn't been picked up on the radar yet. oh the sight of a bunch of MD ers on their beach front view on a Saturday afternoon would just be a shame! Private land owners that build right next to state lands.lake fronts,beaches,etc.sometimes seem to think that they are entitled to control of such things as control of the scenery.
    There is a reason for this new statute and it's not because somebody has picked up an old penny and left the earth scared for ever! HAHAHA! Heads up Mass. somebody with lots of influence (money) has an agenda and they don't want you spoiling the view!
    Get that petition going and stop this BS. The rest of us are watching you and if the rest of Americas MD ers can help just ask. If my memory serves me right the people of Mass. wrote the book on stopping oppression of rampant government control!! So..................?
    Msbeepbeep and DirtsUp like this.

us
    relic hunter

Dec 2011
    Cape Cod
    tesoro stingray
    86 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    fact or not? low tide is anyone's area.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook_-1364001872.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	983342HH BorisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20130309_195520 (1).jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	983343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130309_195520 (21).jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	983349 whydah area always open!
    Last edited by boris; Apr 23, 2014 at 07:35 AM.
    Msbeepbeep likes this.
    There is nothing as constant as change.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilyGirl View Post
    I would not be surprised at at Fletch. Schools I'm not sure of,we have gotten permission before just by calling and have seen no signs posted.
    I tried a soccer field for about 20 mins last night. I needed a stick of dynamite to dig more than 1 inch and it was very hot ground. My CTX was running around 7-10 on sens. I did some relic hunting Saturday and Sunday in central TN area and it wasn't quite as bad but very rocky. I almost twisted my ankle several times while digging. I'm used to sandy loamy soil and white sand beaches. I'm ready to get home to my grandbabies!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-565040400.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	512.1 KB 
ID:	983345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3757504519.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	477.4 KB 
ID:	983346  
    Msbeepbeep, CoilyGirl and Davers like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21258 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I don't see anything listed at WWATS or the FMDAC sites

is it possible this is an update or beginning of a Permit system ?
    Msbeepbeep likes this.

us
    Jul 2013
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    56 times
    This is ridiculous....where is the link?? I already signed but I wanna post it on my FB
    Msbeepbeep likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8199 times
    Sparkgirl- I'm e-challenged if you can't get it off the petition maybe ColyGirl can help a friend of her's posted it. Isn't odd we haven't heard of this by now, they passed it on a Friday Aug 23, 2013.

Jeff I'm not sure yet TH posted parts of the law for me post #12 . All I know is word has to spread like wild fire to try and get this stopped. The NH club is having their 3 day hunt starting tomorrow I will try to call them and see if they know and can get the word out to all the people there.

Texas Kid you maybe right I heard something about a high rise to be built on Quincy beach and I wondered where because the public beach is the only empty spot. There are so many money pockets here it's hard to breath! I didn't realize I was such a blight on the beach when detecting! Lol!

Hopefully I can post later taxes..er..work calls me.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21258 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Msbeepbeep View Post
    Sparkgirl- I'm e-challenged if you can't get it off the petition maybe ColyGirl can help a friend of her's posted it. Isn't odd we haven't heard of this by now, they passed it on a Friday Aug 23, 2013.

Jeff I'm not sure yet TH posted parts of the law for me post #12 . All I know is word has to spread like wild fire to try and get this stopped. The NH club is having their 3 day hunt starting tomorrow I will try to call them and see if they know and can get the word out to all the people there.

Texas Kid you maybe right I heard something about a high rise to be built on Quincy beach and I wondered where because the public beach is the only empty spot. There are so many money pockets here it's hard to breath! I didn't realize I was such a blight on the beach when detecting! Lol!

Hopefully I can post later taxes..er..work calls me.
    I just sent Links to Email Addresses at WWATS & FMDAC

Not sure what the Problem is , I can't access either site properly
    only thing I can think is both sites are Dying due to Lack of Interest.
    or My computer.

FMDAC May be Member only but when I get error messages at both, I think it's more then that.

I get this at FMDAC's Legislation alert page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitledfm.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	983359

and this on WWATS Forum Page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitledwat.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	983360

Besides We appear to be a Bigger force then Both those put together
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Apr 23, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
    Msbeepbeep likes this.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links