Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TH for the info. I have to find out who is trying to get the petition signed to stop this, he's gonna need help.
I thought our overlords were supposed to be on summer vacation July-Aug. no they are up to no good!

Relicmeister - there are towns here that prohibits smoking "in public" that would be the great outdoors!

I don't think people were asking if they could detect that caused this. I think it was more of a "camels nose under the tent" type thing, because they already had the " no detecting " in a state parks except on the beaches, law in place. I think this was the plan all along, just shove it thru quietly when no ones looking. There must have been some in put or blow back for them to even make the exclusion of "with permission" and "looking for lost objects". Guess the lawmakers don't want to walk home if they lose their car keys on the beach! Then it's ok to search for them after we play a round of "mother may I" with the state.

CoilyGirl your probably right this will spread like the poison it is!

I know there are a lot of detector users on the cape, I can't imagine that they are happy with this!

Anyone seen Baker I believe he belongs the MTHA a detecting club in Watertown, MA. There's also the Gateway on Cape Cod, and I believe the Silver City (?) club in Taunton. Wake up people we are being attacked!
It maybe one of their members that started the petition to stop this.

Wish us luck! David is about to throw a rock at Goliath!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I don'thave a dog in the hunt living in Tennessee but I think if this thing goes through it could also carry over to other areas as well in other states like our beautiful lake shorelines.let us know what you find out Msbeepbeep.
CoilyGirl, I travel to Knoxville a couple times a year ( I happen to be up here this week). I have a friend in Manchester that tells me detecting is already banned at any body of water associated with TVA? He tells me that it used to be allowed if you had a permit, but was banned altogether several years ago. He also tells me schools and about any public places are off limits.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CoilyGirl, I travel to Knoxville a couple times a year ( I happen to be up here this week). I have a friend in Manchester that tells me detecting is already banned at any body of water associated with TVA? He tells me that it used to be allowed if you had a permit, but was banned altogether several years ago. He also tells me schools and about any public places are off limits.
I would not be surprised at at Fletch. Schools I'm not sure of,we have gotten permission before just by calling and have seen no signs posted.

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to bet if MD ers in Mass. look over their shoulder they will see a new high end housing development,golf coarse,or some other projects that some politician or politicians have their fingers in. Or you can bet your butt that something is in the planning stages that hasn't been picked up on the radar yet. oh the sight of a bunch of MD ers on their beach front view on a Saturday afternoon would just be a shame! Private land owners that build right next to state lands.lake fronts,beaches,etc.sometimes seem to think that they are entitled to control of such things as control of the scenery.
There is a reason for this new statute and it's not because somebody has picked up an old penny and left the earth scared for ever! HAHAHA! Heads up Mass. somebody with lots of influence (money) has an agenda and they don't want you spoiling the view!
Get that petition going and stop this BS. The rest of us are watching you and if the rest of Americas MD ers can help just ask. If my memory serves me right the people of Mass. wrote the book on stopping oppression of rampant government control!! So..................?

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
fact or not? low tide is anyone's area. facebook_-1364001872.jpg HH Boris 20130309_195520 (1).jpg 20130309_195520 (21).jpg :4leafclover: whydah area always open!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not be surprised at at Fletch. Schools I'm not sure of,we have gotten permission before just by calling and have seen no signs posted.

I tried a soccer field for about 20 mins last night. I needed a stick of dynamite to dig more than 1 inch and it was very hot ground. My CTX was running around 7-10 on sens. I did some relic hunting Saturday and Sunday in central TN area and it wasn't quite as bad but very rocky. I almost twisted my ankle several times while digging. I'm used to sandy loamy soil and white sand beaches. I'm ready to get home to my grandbabies!!!

Attachments

• image-565040400.jpg
    image-565040400.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 656
  • image-3757504519.jpg
    image-3757504519.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 748

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything listed at WWATS or the FMDAC sites

is it possible this is an update or beginning of a Permit system ?

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is ridiculous....where is the link?? I already signed but I wanna post it on my FB

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sparkgirl- I'm e-challenged if you can't get it off the petition maybe ColyGirl can help a friend of her's posted it. Isn't odd we haven't heard of this by now, they passed it on a Friday Aug 23, 2013.

Jeff I'm not sure yet TH posted parts of the law for me post #12 . All I know is word has to spread like wild fire to try and get this stopped. The NH club is having their 3 day hunt starting tomorrow I will try to call them and see if they know and can get the word out to all the people there.

Texas Kid you maybe right I heard something about a high rise to be built on Quincy beach and I wondered where because the public beach is the only empty spot. There are so many money pockets here it's hard to breath! I didn't realize I was such a blight on the beach when detecting! Lol!

Hopefully I can post later taxes..er..work calls me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sparkgirl- I'm e-challenged if you can't get it off the petition maybe ColyGirl can help a friend of her's posted it. Isn't odd we haven't heard of this by now, they passed it on a Friday Aug 23, 2013.

Jeff I'm not sure yet TH posted parts of the law for me post #12 . All I know is word has to spread like wild fire to try and get this stopped. The NH club is having their 3 day hunt starting tomorrow I will try to call them and see if they know and can get the word out to all the people there.

Texas Kid you maybe right I heard something about a high rise to be built on Quincy beach and I wondered where because the public beach is the only empty spot. There are so many money pockets here it's hard to breath! I didn't realize I was such a blight on the beach when detecting! Lol!

Hopefully I can post later taxes..er..work calls me.

I just sent Links to Email Addresses at WWATS & FMDAC

Not sure what the Problem is , I can't access either site properly
only thing I can think is both sites are Dying due to Lack of Interest.
or My computer.

FMDAC May be Member only but when I get error messages at both, I think it's more then that.

I get this at FMDAC's Legislation alert page

Untitledfm.jpg

and this on WWATS Forum Page

Untitledwat.jpg

Besides We appear to be a Bigger force then Both those put together

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's not much I care about these days but in this case..... I give a Massivetwoshits!

Could a foreigner sign the petition?

I hope it works out for you all.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I don't think people were asking if they could detect that caused this. I think it was more of a "camels nose under the tent" type thing, because they already had the " no detecting " in a state parks except on the beaches, law in place....

Interesting that you say that in this particular entity's case, they used to have an express allowance of detecting on the beaches (versus simple silence on the subject). And at first glance, most md'rs would LOVE seeing such things, right? Hard to argue with an express "yes", versus simply relying on: "well, there's no prohibitions of it ", right? Doh! The same thing can be said of places that have instituted "permits" (same sort of express "yes", when you think of it): md'rs eyes wax romantic, and the thought of "permits". Oh they joy, right? And I have often said, when that subject of permits comes up (how wonderful they are), or in this case: a simple express allowance is that they are NOT necessarily "good things". And here's why:

Anytime you have an express allowance, or a "permit", that merely means it's on the governing body's radar as something under potential annual review. Versus mere silence on the subject, and it's not something under perpetual review. So sure enough, at SOME point, in the years that follow, when it comes time to review the rules, laws, permits, etc.... Someone is sure to ask their fellow bureaucrats and archies: "gee, do we really want all these yahoos running around in our parks?". Thus you'll see MANY places that used to have "permits", where .... one day ... they're simply yanked altogether. Why? Because the fact that it was something that was under their princely say-so, it merely became something that gets scrutinized, in years to come, and then presto, some supposed ill or evil or connotation comes up in someone's mind, and then .... guess what the easy solution is?

As far as your saying it was not people asking that caused this, you might have to go back a little further in the evolution: If, as you say, it only used to be dis-allowed on inland state parks, but not on beaches, well then ok: What caused THAT to come into being ? So you see, "asking" may indeed have been the genesis. And the kernal of ignition that brings about these further evolutions.

And if those pencil pushers cite "cultural heritage" as their reason, we md'rs say "durned those archies". But you have to figure: the reasons they give you (holes, cultural heritage, etc...) are merely the GO - TO reasons to justify the rules they just invented. Ie.: the mental images that come to their mind, when tasked with having to think about "do we allow md'ing?". It doesn't actually mean anyone ever left a hole (which would have caused this anyhow), or that they know of anyone with a 51 yr. old penny (that would have caused this anyhow). No. Those are just the "go-to" reasons, to justify the law they just invented. But why was it invented and how did those supposed evils get on their radar, to begin with ? See ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is ridiculous....where is the link?? I already signed but I wanna post it on my
FB

I believe this is the site.
Http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/com...&r=10394344
The guy that put it up is Roger Barbrick.

I talked with the people at Streeters in NH they have a 3 day MD'n hunt. She said she would let them know, also said that Mass may not count electronic petitions just paper ones. What scares me is I vaguely remember something about that when we were repealing the alcohol tax here, another trick of theirs.
Couldn't find ph # for silver seekers in Taunton, or Gateway on the Cape.
I think it maybe a good idea to call the detector sellers and let them know too.
I did see this listed on 1 other site.

Tom- when I was told No digging in state parks because I may dig up something 50 yrs old, I believe they were following the Federal guidelines so that would make it an archie deal. I said to him, "you mean I can't dig up a penny with my birth date on it?" To which I got a firm "No!" So if anyone sees me on state land do not attempt to remove me, , I fall under the antiquity laws!

When it rains in my life it doesn't pour it hails! We just got a boat load of work in and they need it yesterday!

I think your right Jeff I haven't heard much about the FMDAC in a while since it was reinvented.
Keep spreading the word we can't let them win this one!

Last edited:

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CG- Yes, it will spill-over to other states. The gov't is "testing the waters" in numerous states, and not just with Md'ing. Personal panning, any personal use of public land (hunting, herb collecting, grazing livestock, etc.) is being systematically stripped from the general public. The only way you'll ever get to enjoy life, is to ask permission from your gov't! :censored:
"We the People" need to insert our own authority, by regularly and often reminding our elected officials, To read-and-head the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. OR ELSE find a new job. It is ALSO our responsibility to remind our family and neighbors that they need to do the same!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... when I was told No digging in state parks because I may dig up something 50 yrs old, I believe they were following the Federal guidelines so that would make it an archie deal....

Yes, I don't doubt this is what they would tell you. And then at first glance then, the reason seems to be: "because of archie things", right? Ok, but think about it: This is failing to trace back to HOW such a concern got on their radar, as something to decide falls-afoul-of archie things.... TO BEGIN WITH. I mean, did you really think they were going to answer that question in this way:

"We're instituting this new law because numerous people came and asked if they could metal detect"

No. Of COURSE they won't answer in that way. Instead they will refer you to their "go-to" answer, which will always be some variation of "holes", or "harvesting/removing", or "cultural heritage/archie stuff", etc.... But all this fails to ask one's-self the question: Ok, but how did THAT get to be "on their radar" ? See ? THAT'S where the "asking" part comes in, to be the "pressing issue" in need of their princely sanction and attention.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ask permission from my government my blankety blank!

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the web site it says no matches found, so I think commissioner jack Murray may have taken it down, we were too annoying?????? People I have sent there tell me the same thing, but yet I received a thank you for signing the petition this morning. I'm the lest techie person on the planet. :dontknow:

Tom- I did not ask permission I was detecting and he came up,to me and told me I could only detect on the beach, I ask why and that's what he told me. If I have been detecting a place before I don't ask I just detect.
This probably did start by someone asking causing the wheels to start turning, and the gates to close. :BangHead:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a little more than a few people asking "Can we" to the wrong entities.

How about the television shows reaching a much larger population?

What about the NSA spying on eveyone and coming across all the treasure hunting forums, blogs and thousands of you-tube videos?

Most likely its the government hiding behind "environmental" regulations that have been running rampant across the nation lately.

Whatever it is it sucks!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Tom- I did not ask permission I was detecting and he came up,to me and told me I could only detect on the beach, I ask why and that's what he told me....

Yes ms-beep-beep, I wasn't say it was necessarily you, but that .... if the roots were traced back to before you, that often-time this is how those balls start rolling. But yes, I understood that this was someone coming out to accost you, not the other way around.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... How about the television shows reaching a much larger population? ....

muddy, this has been suggested on many many threads. But I have my doubts these silly shows are the genesis of such things. I mean, anything's possible, but, let me explain: Example: Do you watch "Real Housewives of New York?" Or how about info-mercials on kitchen blenders? Probably not. But why? Because you're not into holly gossip girlie shows and not into blenders, right? But if you WERE into either of those two hobbies, then yes, you'd be watching them. Right?

But when someone who's into those things (gossip or blender shows) watches those shows, and sees something glaringly st*pid, or something that casts a bad light on all kitchen blender enthusiasts, guess what? He'll subconsciously think "oh no, everyone's going to dis-like me now, because of this mis-information". You see how in his/her mind, they "portray" into thinking that just as they're watching it, well then SO TOO is everyone else seeing it, forming opinions, etc... But no. I highly doubt any fed or state law-makers are staying up late and night, watching this drizzle, and thinking "gee, we need to invent a law". Thus no, I don't think it's the shows that only niche geeks like us are bound to stop on , when channel surfing.

.... Most likely its the government hiding behind "environmental" regulations that have been running rampant across the nation lately....

If by that you mean the archie /cultural heritage things, then that just brings us back around full circle: Ok then, HOW did it get on those archie's radars, to begin with ? See ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread