Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Like Tree412Likes

Thread: Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6484 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Msbeepbeep View Post
    .... The reason that was stated to me when all this started was the DCR in Mass. wanted to ......
    msbeepbeep, so are you going to change the title to the thread, so that this rumor will die ?

As for your explanation of why you started the original post, I can understand how ..... following enough dots .... someone could think "oh no, this will mean no more beaches". And so, you "sounded the alarm". But this is where it gets tricky, because unless someone (rank & file rangers, etc...) ever cared to "connect those dots", it might never have amounted to anything. And by forming solidarities to "seek clarifications", etc.... It might have simply brought the very scrutiny we DIDN'T want.

Let me give you an example: SO TOO in the state of CA, does our park dept. have "cultural heritage" verbiage. And SO TOO, if you follow-enough-dots, you would arrive at word definitions (of "artifact", etc...) to be "50 yrs", blah blah. As to whether or not this was a result of trying to be in-line with NPS wording, I don't know. But that's a moot point. The POINT that remains, is that someone taking a technical reading of CA state parks verbiage (existing no less, not just "proposed"), might conclude that md'ing is not allowed. Because (gasp) you "might find a 50 yr. old coin" .

But strangely, you can detect CA state beaches till your blue in the face. And it's the EXACT SAME PARK'S DEPT. that administers the inland parks. So *technically*, there would be no reason why the same rules wouldn't apply to the ocean beaches they administer, as well. Hmmm.

So what do you think would happen, if someone(s) "raised the alarm" and went to "fight" this ? And "seek clarification" ? We might only bring the very scrutiny we DON'T want. Ie.: swat hornet's nests, when the reality is, no one's ever cared.

Perhaps I'm wrong about the MASS thing. Perhaps someone , even in the practical-application-enforcement end there WAS thinking "here's how we stop those dastardly md'rs". If so, then by all means: glad you fought it.

But if that was never particularly on their radar as "the intention" of this proposed adopted wording, then odds are: Those md'rs that were forever ignored (ie.: grandfathered in, etc...) might simply have continued to be ignored. I might be wrong about your particulars there, but .... just 'sayin'
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Apr 17, 2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Nov 2013
    TN
    Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
    943 times
    Metal Detecting
    I vote with Tom/CA that the thread title needs changing. Especially if its gonna stay a Sticky.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    "Those who cannot compete intellectually tend to develop a cultural aversion to the whole idea." -- Fred Reed
    ========================================
    Minelab Safari
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab CTX 3030

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6484 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    deleted
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Aug 04, 2017 at 09:52 PM.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3127 times
    Metal Detecting
    Same here in Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    7898 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    No their intention was to put a stop to metal detecting on all DCR run areas. The beaches were the last areas open to detecting. They were enforcing the rule before it was ever signed into law.
    I think they were going for the blanket rule, one law covers everything, so they could just say no to it all.

Because Roger Burbrick & Ron had a discussions with the head of the DCR they back off a tiny bit on detecting in the parks (you can only do it if trying to locate a lost item for someone and/or with permission of the park ranger).
    No they had the "no detecting" thing all but unsigned, sealed, and delievered, when we spoke up.
    They were telling people with detectors on the beach, that they couldn't do that here.
    Even later after Roger & Ron got them to let us detect the beaches, there were still some rangers that had not gotten the word that we could.

We almost didn't catch this before it became law. So no one was stiring the pot yet.
    Once they take a bite out of you its very hard to get that piece back.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6484 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Msbeepbeep View Post
    .... you can only do it if trying to locate a lost item for someone ....
    I dunno about the rest of you, but my wife looses a LOT of rings. And I can certainly commission a friend to go out there and loose a ring from time to time. He merely tosses a silver ring while blindfolded over his shoulder. Runs a CL "lost" ad, to which I reply to.

Then I self-sacrificingly volunteer my time to go look for said-ring. And .... being the diligent thorough searcher that I am (knowing that sometimes people aren't 100% certain where they lost it), it will require me to make wide circles in the allotted search zone.
    xr7ator and RVRoamer66 like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    7898 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I tried replying to this the other day. Guess it didn't post, it was thru the old app.

They had made up their minds to put forth the law prior to us protesting the attempted closing of the DCR beaches to detecting. We had not poked the hornets nest prior to that, that i know of. It was a blanket approach by DCR to just say "no" to everything.
    A lot of us were not even aware they had put the law in to be approved untill almost the last minute. They quitely put it in during winter, and it would have taken effect July of that year, if we had not protested.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links