Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
Like Tree462Likes

Thread: Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    22299 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    When the gov owns and controls everything
    Msbeepbeep likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    9773 times
    Well so far "they" have been busy with other things.
    They also have an aversion to being flooded with, e-mails, phone calls, and mail, from the silent majority.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1891 times
    Prospecting
    Wow. First guns now this?
    Keeping everyone safe I guess.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2 - VP 580
    38860 times
    MASS is an ASS.

Whatever or whoever decided that this was an "issue" that needed addressing needs to get their priorities in line.

And whoever voted it through should be forced into community service on weekends or days off...

CLEANING MASS BEACHES OF TRASH.

MAybe then they would appreciate MD people.

PS... One word... LAME.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9865 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Msbeep-beep, since this never ended up happening, I thought you were going to change the name of the title of the thread ? Because otherwise, at first glance, from the title (pinned no less), people keep thinking it's a true deal ?
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7931 times
    The Truth
    Im pretty sure,at the same time this was happening,they tried to pass a bill in mass to make it against the law to work on your own car.

ca
    Feb 2014
    Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
    AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
    79 times
    Here is a plan I came up with that I feel like I might create here in my own town, even though there are no metal detecting bi-laws where I live. I'm rural so the hate hasn't hit me yet even though I'm in Canada and know it's coming.

My plan is to make a few nicely constructed plexi-glass boxes that stand upright about average person tall. Inside the boxes will be all the trash and garbage I collect from a specific site. It will have a key lock so I can add or remove stuff as time goes on. The top of the box will say something like "Metal detecting hobbyists have cleaned THIS dangerous and disgusting trash off your beach(or park or whatever) for free" The headline needs to be more eloquent obviously but you get the point.

My plan is to just fill them up a bit first with items from the selected areas then drop the boxes one night in the dark at various locations so people can actually see the benefit of what we do. They would be discreet, no names, no club names nothing to tie them back to me for legal safety reasons. lol. Just a modern art type of display to send the message home. Strategically placed for maximum impact but not in the way where officials will consider them a threat.

That way when these bans are implemented, people will know how silly they are.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9865 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottlecapbill View Post
    Here is a plan I came up with .....
    Bottle-cap-bill, your post is very revealing about the psychology of all this type threads. That protest and lament some place that is, or supposedly is in danger of being off-limits.

a) I notice that you're posting the idea on this thread, about this particular location. But if you read all the way through it, you'll notice it never came to fruition.

b) YET the mere title is all that's needed. People read the headlines, and thus fear "everyone hates us", etc...

c) And they infer, from those headline: "Coming to a city near you". Thus "hurry and do something". I saw this reaction FIRST HAND when the FMDAC was formed in the 1980s: Each newsletter, designed to garner solidarity , had the unmistakable tone of "coming to a city near you". I understand their rationale: It was to garner solidarity & support of course. But the ripple effect was exactly as you're proposing to do here. EVEN though , as you say, there's no prohibitions in your area.

d) you want to be "preemptive". Eh ? But I got news for you: It's THAT VERY VISIBILITY YOU PROPOSE, which is what brought about all those rules (non-existent in this case) that you fear. In other words: LESS visibility is better. Not MORE visibility.

e) I'll bet that the average person who sees your proposed pexi-glass containers, had/would probably have never have given the matter a moment's thought. Then the only thing that emblazoning "metal detecting" on it does, is simply conjur up images of geeks with shovels. Thus don't defend something that's NOT EVEN under attack yet. In the meantime, you want LESS people to think of you. Not MORE people.

f) I agree that we clean up and pack out the trash we dig. But ... I recall bumping into a "scram" from a gardener once, who .... when I objected and showed him the "trash I was removing", he wisely and correctly retorted: It was in the ground, buried , thus bothering no one. Hence: Scram . So don't assume that everyone will melt at this "noble thing" we do. Some people consider trash that below & unseen forever, to be not-hurting-anything.

g) The "trash" argument is a bit better on beaches, where sand moves around, and removing items like nails, can be seen as a good thing. Granted. But stop for a moment and think about beaches (like GGNRA) where MD'ing is not allowed: I'll bet that someone could scream and holler till the cows-come-home about how they are doing a benefit to the beaches. And ... trust me: The archies would win the debate. It would not outweigh the damage that (gasp) removing cultural heritage objects would cause.

Thus please, do not take preemptive moves. Moves such as that should ONLY be employed if there were an actual threat. In the meantime, just don't wear a bullseye on your back. Don't swat hornet's nests. If it's nicely manicured turf: Hunt it at night in the dark (so peaceful, so serene).
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links