Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1539 times
    Living for the hunt!
    There's not much I care about these days but in this case..... I give a Massivetwoshits!

Could a foreigner sign the petition?

I hope it works out for you all.
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7166 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Msbeepbeep View Post
    .... I don't think people were asking if they could detect that caused this. I think it was more of a "camels nose under the tent" type thing, because they already had the " no detecting " in a state parks except on the beaches, law in place....
    Interesting that you say that in this particular entity's case, they used to have an express allowance of detecting on the beaches (versus simple silence on the subject). And at first glance, most md'rs would LOVE seeing such things, right? Hard to argue with an express "yes", versus simply relying on: "well, there's no prohibitions of it ", right? Doh! The same thing can be said of places that have instituted "permits" (same sort of express "yes", when you think of it): md'rs eyes wax romantic, and the thought of "permits". Oh they joy, right? And I have often said, when that subject of permits comes up (how wonderful they are), or in this case: a simple express allowance is that they are NOT necessarily "good things". And here's why:

Anytime you have an express allowance, or a "permit", that merely means it's on the governing body's radar as something under potential annual review. Versus mere silence on the subject, and it's not something under perpetual review. So sure enough, at SOME point, in the years that follow, when it comes time to review the rules, laws, permits, etc.... Someone is sure to ask their fellow bureaucrats and archies: "gee, do we really want all these yahoos running around in our parks?". Thus you'll see MANY places that used to have "permits", where .... one day ... they're simply yanked altogether. Why? Because the fact that it was something that was under their princely say-so, it merely became something that gets scrutinized, in years to come, and then presto, some supposed ill or evil or connotation comes up in someone's mind, and then .... guess what the easy solution is?

As far as your saying it was not people asking that caused this, you might have to go back a little further in the evolution: If, as you say, it only used to be dis-allowed on inland state parks, but not on beaches, well then ok: What caused THAT to come into being ? So you see, "asking" may indeed have been the genesis. And the kernal of ignition that brings about these further evolutions.

And if those pencil pushers cite "cultural heritage" as their reason, we md'rs say "durned those archies". But you have to figure: the reasons they give you (holes, cultural heritage, etc...) are merely the GO - TO reasons to justify the rules they just invented. Ie.: the mental images that come to their mind, when tasked with having to think about "do we allow md'ing?". It doesn't actually mean anyone ever left a hole (which would have caused this anyhow), or that they know of anyone with a 51 yr. old penny (that would have caused this anyhow). No. Those are just the "go-to" reasons, to justify the law they just invented. But why was it invented and how did those supposed evils get on their radar, to begin with ? See ?
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Msbeepbeep and CoilyGirl like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8303 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkgirl View Post
    This is ridiculous....where is the link?? I already signed but I wanna post it on my
    FB
    I believe this is the site.
    Http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/com...&r=10394344
    The guy that put it up is Roger Barbrick.

I talked with the people at Streeters in NH they have a 3 day MD'n hunt. She said she would let them know, also said that Mass may not count electronic petitions just paper ones. What scares me is I vaguely remember something about that when we were repealing the alcohol tax here, another trick of theirs.
    Couldn't find ph # for silver seekers in Taunton, or Gateway on the Cape.
    I think it maybe a good idea to call the detector sellers and let them know too.
    I did see this listed on 1 other site.

Tom- when I was told No digging in state parks because I may dig up something 50 yrs old, I believe they were following the Federal guidelines so that would make it an archie deal. I said to him, "you mean I can't dig up a penny with my birth date on it?" To which I got a firm "No!" So if anyone sees me on state land do not attempt to remove me, , I fall under the antiquity laws!

When it rains in my life it doesn't pour it hails! We just got a boat load of work in and they need it yesterday!

I think your right Jeff I haven't heard much about the FMDAC in a while since it was reinvented.
    Keep spreading the word we can't let them win this one!
    Last edited by Msbeepbeep; Apr 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
    CoilyGirl likes this.

us
    Camp Ground Manager

Mar 2014
    Mc David, Florida
    Garrett Ace 250
    31 times
    Metal Detecting
    CG- Yes, it will spill-over to other states. The gov't is "testing the waters" in numerous states, and not just with Md'ing. Personal panning, any personal use of public land (hunting, herb collecting, grazing livestock, etc.) is being systematically stripped from the general public. The only way you'll ever get to enjoy life, is to ask permission from your gov't!
    "We the People" need to insert our own authority, by regularly and often reminding our elected officials, To read-and-head the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. OR ELSE find a new job. It is ALSO our responsibility to remind our family and neighbors that they need to do the same!!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    7166 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    ... when I was told No digging in state parks because I may dig up something 50 yrs old, I believe they were following the Federal guidelines so that would make it an archie deal....
    Yes, I don't doubt this is what they would tell you. And then at first glance then, the reason seems to be: "because of archie things", right? Ok, but think about it: This is failing to trace back to HOW such a concern got on their radar, as something to decide falls-afoul-of archie things.... TO BEGIN WITH. I mean, did you really think they were going to answer that question in this way:

"We're instituting this new law because numerous people came and asked if they could metal detect"

No. Of COURSE they won't answer in that way. Instead they will refer you to their "go-to" answer, which will always be some variation of "holes", or "harvesting/removing", or "cultural heritage/archie stuff", etc.... But all this fails to ask one's-self the question: Ok, but how did THAT get to be "on their radar" ? See ? THAT'S where the "asking" part comes in, to be the "pressing issue" in need of their princely sanction and attention.
    Msbeepbeep likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Nashville
    Minelab x-Terra 505
    4599 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Ask permission from my government my blankety blank!
    dieselram94 and Msbeepbeep like this.
    "What if it's not just another pull tab?" - Lance

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8303 times
    I tried the web site it says no matches found, so I think commissioner jack Murray may have taken it down, we were too annoying People I have sent there tell me the same thing, but yet I received a thank you for signing the petition this morning. I'm the lest techie person on the planet.

Tom- I did not ask permission I was detecting and he came up,to me and told me I could only detect on the beach, I ask why and that's what he told me. If I have been detecting a place before I don't ask I just detect.
    This probably did start by someone asking causing the wheels to start turning, and the gates to close.

ca
    Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1539 times
    Living for the hunt!
    I think its a little more than a few people asking "Can we" to the wrong entities.

How about the television shows reaching a much larger population?

What about the NSA spying on eveyone and coming across all the treasure hunting forums, blogs and thousands of you-tube videos?

Most likely its the government hiding behind "environmental" regulations that have been running rampant across the nation lately.

Whatever it is it sucks!!!!
    Msbeepbeep likes this.
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    7166 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    .... Tom- I did not ask permission I was detecting and he came up,to me and told me I could only detect on the beach, I ask why and that's what he told me....
    Yes ms-beep-beep, I wasn't say it was necessarily you, but that .... if the roots were traced back to before you, that often-time this is how those balls start rolling. But yes, I understood that this was someone coming out to accost you, not the other way around.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    7166 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    .... How about the television shows reaching a much larger population? ....
    muddy, this has been suggested on many many threads. But I have my doubts these silly shows are the genesis of such things. I mean, anything's possible, but, let me explain: Example: Do you watch "Real Housewives of New York?" Or how about info-mercials on kitchen blenders? Probably not. But why? Because you're not into holly gossip girlie shows and not into blenders, right? But if you WERE into either of those two hobbies, then yes, you'd be watching them. Right?

But when someone who's into those things (gossip or blender shows) watches those shows, and sees something glaringly st*pid, or something that casts a bad light on all kitchen blender enthusiasts, guess what? He'll subconsciously think "oh no, everyone's going to dis-like me now, because of this mis-information". You see how in his/her mind, they "portray" into thinking that just as they're watching it, well then SO TOO is everyone else seeing it, forming opinions, etc... But no. I highly doubt any fed or state law-makers are staying up late and night, watching this drizzle, and thinking "gee, we need to invent a law". Thus no, I don't think it's the shows that only niche geeks like us are bound to stop on , when channel surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    .... Most likely its the government hiding behind "environmental" regulations that have been running rampant across the nation lately....
    If by that you mean the archie /cultural heritage things, then that just brings us back around full circle: Ok then, HOW did it get on those archie's radars, to begin with ? See ?

us
    Nov 2011
    BOSTON
    Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
    1818 times
    HI Folks; This is BARKER. I am in Boston. I have signed the Petition. It is only the 3rd I have signed in 45 years of solid detecting. I "KNOW" for a fact that this Petition is the real deal and it is being signed by everyone here in MA. YES, it is a case of some nuts with nothing better to do. Those of us who detect the beaches here in MA "DO" Police our own. We have a repore with the local Police State wide. These nuts want to in fact BAN all detecting from MA Public Beaches which includes a $50 Fine for a 1st Offence, A $100 Fine for a 2nd Offence and for a 3rd Offence they can Arrest you, Confiscate your detector and hit you with a Fine and 30 Days in jail. This is NO BULL.
    This Petition has been signed by every Club in MA as well.
    So it is with this said that "I" ask you to please sign the Petition at this Link below :

MoveOn.org

Thank You. Any further questions I will be glad to answer them myself. Msbeepbeep and coilygirl are not here by themselves. I "AM" the Senior In Field Treasure Hunter in MA with 45 solid years "IN FIELD". I'll stake my Reputation on this one ok. Again. Thank you.
    CoilyGirl and Msbeepbeep like this.

us
    Nov 2011
    BOSTON
    Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
    1818 times

Hi Folks; Regarding that Petitition to Ban detecting on --

Public Beaches in Mass. Here is the correct Link to this Petition. I ask that all of you PLESE sign it ok. Thank you. PEACE:RONB
    MoveOn Petitions - Commissioner Jack Murray: Stop the banning of metal detecting on Massachusetts beaches
    CoilyGirl, Dak and Msbeepbeep like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    2008 times
    Curious..do I have to be a resident of that state to sign the petition ?

Mike
    "There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer”
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
    Mark Twain

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    23803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1969 View Post
    Curious..do I have to be a resident of that state to sign the petition ?

Mike
    No mike you dont, who is to say you wouldn't be on a vacation and want to detect a beach there....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
    BC1969, Msbeepbeep and CoilyGirl like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    2008 times
    Thanks TH.

Mike
    Msbeepbeep likes this.
    "There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer”
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
    Mark Twain

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links