Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
We will no longer be able to metal detect on MASS state beaches as of July 1, 2014 and if caught you will be fined!

A call to arms people!!!!! Get your pens ready there is a link to a petition to try and stop this .
CoilyGirl posted it in Metal Detecting: "Sign petition against stopping metal detecting"

Thank you CoilyGirl! I never heard read or saw this anywhere in the news!

Anyone in a MD'ing club get the word out. All of you people that come to Cape Cod in the summer and go to state beaches won't be detecting if they get their way!

Why? What happened that caused this law to be passed? Evidently we have been portrayed in a bad light some where! Or the powers that be have lost their minds!!!!
Just more control, I truly hate this world system.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Undergroundlookingup, I hear ya. I would leave but family is all here.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lilwiggles, we need to be the same pain to them as they are to us.
Greatest compliment they paid the treasure hunting brotherhood, was their comment that they were shocked at the push back and it was from around the world. :icon_thumleft::headbang:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had the same thing here in Louisiana but if you’re quick and you get in the water they can’t do you anything because they don’t know that but they don’t like it LOL

Bmole

Sep 19, 2019
hull, massachussetts
Detector(s) used
whites, dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We will no longer be able to metal detect on MASS state beaches as of July 1, 2014 and if caught you will be fined!

A call to arms people!!!!! Get your pens ready there is a link to a petition to try and stop this .
CoilyGirl posted it in Metal Detecting: "Sign petition against stopping metal detecting"

Anyone in a MD'ing club get the word out. All of you people that come to Cape Cod in the summer and go to state beaches won't be detecting if they get their way!

Why? What happened that caused this law to be passed? Evidently we have been portrayed in a bad light some where! Or the powers that be have lost their minds!!!!
I

I live in Hull, Ma and have been confronted by a DCR Park Ranger 3 times now. I was told by him anything i find i have to bring to the Police Dept. He then asked me to empty my pockets, i flat out told him NO and to call the Police. 2nd time he did it i said no problem, he held out his hand and i dumped all the pull tabs, bottle caps and trash in his hands, he hasn't bothered me since. He also told me i wasn't filing my holes i dig, which i always do, and showed him by retracing my steps. If thats the case why aren't they confronting beach goers for digging giant holes when making sand castles.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO Bowser what is the RULING in MA can or can't they detect the beaches ?
I believe we still can. The powers that be thought better of it, since they felt over whelmed by push back from the treasrue hunting community, they said they didn't know existed.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MsBeepBeep what are you saying. They can detect the beaches or they Can NOT detect the beaches. Just to be 100% clear !1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, this thread still is open so I will post the law:

302 Mass. Reg. 12.04
Section 12.04 - Rules of Conduct on DCR Properties - Generally
(12) With the exception of coastal and inland sandy beaches, no person may use or offer for use metal detectors, except with permission from DCR personnel, for the purposes of locating lost personal property.

(DCR being the Massachuestts Department of Conservation and Recreation.

So coastal and inland sandy beaches are ok to metal detect. What is all the argument over?

here is where I got my info:

https://casetext.com/regulation/cod...-rules-of-conduct-on-dcr-properties-generally
Here you go Gare....

Neshannock Jim

Jun 5, 2022

" Or the powers that be have lost their minds!!!! "
Ya think ?!?!

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely insane! What do they except to happen. Either the “unfounded treasure” out there will just decompose more, and no one can enjoy it, or are they trying to keep it all for themselves? Which is totally unfair.
I’m not sure but from what I’m reading I believe they say it’s OK to detect beaches, coastal and inland

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says "With the exception of coastal and inland sandy beaches" which means you CAN hunt them..
Doesn't that cover most beaches ? What's the discussion about ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep politics out of forum.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread