Just heartbroken - Bad detector investment

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used my bran new Bounty Hunter Tracker IV today (I am experienced) I just wanted something simple to find a set of keys I lost at the beginning of winter. And to have an ok machine to use for fun for the summer, just for fun. But, I'm on a budget so I went for this one (maybe should have bought the Ace 150 again)

But yikes! This Tracker IV machine is SO horrible!

I took it out, went outside and I dropped a penny to test it out, it couldn't find it, then I drop a quarter, no good. It only made a week sound while right on top of it.
I went inside and grabbed a silver quarter, dropped it on the ground (surface), it gave a "very" week sign, I had it on full, it went "eh, eh". Then I dropped a set of keys (which is what I am looking for, because I lost them early winter) The whole set, with 7 keys, the machine wouldn't give me a signal "unless" I was right on top of them, within 3 inches!!??? It goes "eh, eh, eh" and that's it! What could it find if anything was buried?

Heck, my pinpointer works better!!!!

I've been metal detecting for over 20 years. I am on a budget,
that's why I bought the Tracker IV. But, MY GOD, how bad can a
machine be? Could it be defective?

I actually almost cried while trying to use it because it's been a really long hard winter, and I've been looking forward to
getting out there and having a bit of fun (Not to mention finding my keys I lost at the start of winter).

it IS that whimpy (bad) I'm at a lose. I bought it a few months ago (yeah, premature cause I was chomping at the bit), so return or charge back may be out of the question.
I HOPE they stand by their product. I couldn't re-sell it because I
won't screw someone else over, if it's defective.

Any advice as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated (I'm SO bummed out)

I am just, emmm, really, really am so disappointed!

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't seem right. Your bounty hunter should do better than that. I'd bring it back and see if you can at least do an exchange since some is clearly wrong. If they will do a return, I'd go for the Garrett.

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Garrett ace 150. Low budget but worked awesome. Though, one day it just quit (don't know why) Only used it slightly.
I know it's too late to do a return on this Tracker. I WISH I had bought another Ace, rather then this (dare I say POS)
This tracker was a gift (though, I picked it). A friend bought it for me 3 months ago. I have all the paperwork for it, so I'll start from there. I HOPE they honor some kind of warranty, but I saw none in the paperwork. All I can do is what I did and write them explaining what's happened.
I have a very limited time frame to look for the keys. Once the foliage has filled in, I'm screwed (for the keys I'm missing, lost in the thick woods)
Lost keys have since been resoled, I just really wanted to explore my creek, river and other parts too. But lol, this couldn't find a gold bar just hanging out on top of anything! Might not even be able to find a trunk of iron 2" deep!

Last edited:

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with the machine but Bounty Hunter has a good name and I'm sure they will make it right. It sounds as though something must be defective with the particular one you received. I know my machine works very well right up until the batteries die but not sure about yours. Maybe change your batteries out for fresh ones??

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I thought when I chose it (they have a good name) Today, I put a new battery in it before I went out. I play around with it (dropping coins to test it) That's when I realized YIKES, it didn't even recognize a penny I dropped. I always suspect "it's me", lol...so I even allowed for that! So, I continued to test (a dime, quarter, silver quarter, keys, etc) to no avail. So, I thought, bad new battery. Went to the hardware, bought 2 new one's, same results. Oye! Now I have more invested in them damn 9 volt batteries (which I use in nothing else) Give me AA or AAA any day, but damn 9 volts?! Yes, yes, I can use them in my pinpointer. That thing rocks so hard, I've had the same battery in it for over 10 years and it's STILL going strong. Of course it's Garrett!
All I can say is that I hope Kellyco steps up!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yours must be defective.I have a friend that bought one a month after i started detecting and he has found his fair share of coins and 2 weeks ago he found a 10k gold ring.And he feels for his budget that was the best 125 dollars he has spent on something.I would contact kellyco or bounty hunter.Good luck.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen I had a bounty hunter sharp shooter II and let me tell you, it was a great machine! Great features and it went deep. I regret selling it. Something must be wrong with it.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You got a 5 year Warranty, call First Texas Co. and they will fix it... if faulty...the Bounty Hunter Tracker VI is a better machine than yours is showing....First Texas stands behind their stuff.
Gary

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds like you got a defective one. I'd take it back.

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As most can figure out, I'm very new at this MD thing we all call cool, I will say this, There has been nothing less than very informative people on this site, Good luck finding that anywhere else ! I have been reading what most have been saying for a while now, And yes I on a personal note have leaned a lot !! WE all start some ware when it come's to equipment, I'm in your boat so I know where your coming from, BUT, learn from these folk's, and all will be well. That is EXACTLY what I'M doing, GREAT HUNTING ! that is what all this about. Damn I found my quote LOL.

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the feedback friends!
@Hangman, yes I know, I've been a member here for quite a few years. I appreciate all the great FB and will keep everyone posted about the outcome of this.
I'm serious as all get out, I was nearly in tears (we all have this addiction...errr, passion for MD'ing) and to have it "spoil" the first time out for the season was just stinky! 2 days of summer/spring weather, rain tomorrow and could still snow again. Oye!
I'll take a wait and see, since I wrote them (who we bought it from) and Kellyco. I gave them the serial number, so I hope they say send it back (on their dime) and send me a new one.
Cross your fingers gang! I don't wanna become tainted against them (negative projection) but, I just feel kinda negative right now. I hope this
passes and the results turn out good!

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Heartbroken if you still have the garrett ace 150 I bet if you return it to them they would fix it or repair it for free or way cheap. I have had nothing but excellent customer service with them! CALL THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ASK!

dee3

Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a T4 I've had for years and a ATpro as well. There is something wrong with your detector I'd think. I bought it to find a silver diamond ring and I found it my first hunt.. My 6yo son uses it now but it found a lot of clad and misc. jewelry at the parks etc. before I got my ATpro.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Shawks18

Apr 5, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used my bran new Bounty Hunter Tracker IV today (I am experienced) I just wanted something simple to find a set of keys I lost at the beginning of winter. And to have an ok machine to use for fun for the summer, just for fun. But, I'm on a budget so I went for this one (maybe should have bought the Ace 150 again)

But yikes! This Tracker IV machine is SO horrible!

I took it out, went outside and I dropped a penny to test it out, it couldn't find it, then I drop a quarter, no good. It only made a week sound while right on top of it.
I went inside and grabbed a silver quarter, dropped it on the ground (surface), it gave a "very" week sign, I had it on full, it went "eh, eh". Then I dropped a set of keys (which is what I am looking for, because I lost them early winter) The whole set, with 7 keys, the machine wouldn't give me a signal "unless" I was right on top of them, within 3 inches!!??? It goes "eh, eh, eh" and that's it! What could it find if anything was buried?

Heck, my pinpointer works better!!!!

I've been metal detecting for over 20 years. I am on a budget,
that's why I bought the Tracker IV. But, MY GOD, how bad can a
machine be? Could it be defective?

I actually almost cried while trying to use it because it's been a really long hard winter, and I've been looking forward to
getting out there and having a bit of fun (Not to mention finding my keys I lost at the start of winter).

it IS that whimpy (bad) I'm at a lose. I bought it a few months ago (yeah, premature cause I was chomping at the bit), so return or charge back may be out of the question.
I HOPE they stand by their product. I couldn't re-sell it because I
won't screw someone else over, if it's defective.

Any advice as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated (I'm SO bummed out)

I am just, emmm, really, really am so disappointed!

Sorry to hear that Alchemy, but I would return it. I've only been detecting a few months but I started out on that detector before I upgraded and that doesn't sound right. It worked great for me (as a beginner) and I found many different metals at different depths. You should be able to exchange if it is manufacture discrepancy.
Hopefully everything turns out on the positive for you, good luck and HH!

Oh... You will find your keys I know it!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't contacted their customer service or tech department, I would do that immediately..I know you said you wrote to them, but I have had nothing but excellent service, before, during and after the sale at Kellyco. I bought the package that included the Accu-find pin-pointer, and it went belly up after one day hunting. After checking what the tech dept. told me to check, and not fixing it, they sent me a complete new pin-pointer free of charge, in two days, and did not want the original unit back. Good luck..and keep us updated...ddf

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
give them a call

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you my MD friends!
I'm gonna call them in the morning because I've been so bummed since.
I really appreciate all the support all you have given me and hope I get as much from them! You all are great!
I seriously was/am like WHAT? (you know the feeling...bummed)
But you all are fantastic!
Like I said, I'll call them in the morning and let you know what happens. Cross your fingers I get some where!
There may be confusion with who bought it for me (like I said it was a gift, but I picked it out) and I have to contact
The person who bought it for me (that's gonna be hard enough, they'll be pissed...Italian after all, but they probably have the damn receipt!....lol...I hope)
I'm gonna think positive!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may just have to give them the serial # off the MD and tell them is was a gift and who bought it and date purchased if you know it. They will have that info on record anyhow.
It will turn out fine. Just make the call, you will feel better anyhow, it will get things started, and before you know it, Ta DA! There's your detector in great working order!!! Now go find that gold! Post pics when you do!

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
131226033753_w2s_no returns 640x360 16x9.jpg ..My God Man, Buy or exchange for another made in China useless junk...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread