Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be in about the late 1800's. For denim jeans anyway. Take a look at the history of Jeans on Wikipedia. Prior to that lighter materials only had pockets from about the 1500's. Pockets were a weak point in pants and most goods were carried in wallets or valise's prior to that. That's what little I know on the subject... because I to once wondered how come there are no pockets in early dress. Weird huh? hehh ???

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were tailor made then they may well not have back pockets - entirely the choice of the person who bespoke them. The same remains true to this day - one, two or none, button/hole, button/ tab, button/flap or not fastened at all is all at the discretion of the person ordering them.

RTW a different picture much the same variation applies here but the cost consciousness of the maker rules. Fashion has a role here - one only was common (left US, right UK) but two is normal in the US now and is rapidly becoming the norm in the UK thank goodness.

OP
OP
MUDSLINGER

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DDancer and empty_pockets so i guess early traders and pirates carried their money in leather pouches or pokes. I wonder if
that made it less or more likely to lose coins?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought is that it made it less likely to lose coin using a wallet or other carry pouch. One would be pretty quick to notice if their coin were getting away from them. It would be more likely that coins were dropped in ye olden time when they were transferred from hand to wallet or due to accidents like tripping or dropping said wallets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread