Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sad thing the first Shuttle disaster. As an Aviation worker I'll tell ya what I see. If it was Aluminum after all this time it would be severely corroded. I don't see much corrosion on the item your showing. Be helpful if I knew what kind of conditions you recovered it from.... soil, beach or water. Aside from that if its titanium you can test it easy enough... take a benzene torch to it and heat it till it glows. If its aluminum it will melt and hence be a modern bit of junk. If it does not melt, titanium wont, then its a good candidate for a bit of that mission. You can also contact NASA however expect to loose the piece to them.
DD

OP
OP
R

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
A sad thing the first Shuttle disaster. As an Aviation worker I'll tell ya what I see. If it was Aluminum after all this time it would be severely corroded. I don't see much corrosion on the item your showing. Be helpful if I knew what kind of conditions you recovered it from.... soil, beach or water. Aside from that if its titanium you can test it easy enough... take a benzene torch to it and heat it till it glows. If its aluminum it will melt and hence be a modern bit of junk. If it does not melt, titanium wont, then its a good candidate for a bit of that mission. You can also contact NASA however expect to loose the piece to them. DD

I found the fragment on the beach just south of Sebastian Inlet. It was in about 6 inches of sand. It doesn't look to have any corrosion on it. I would expect something if it were aluminum. It's very light. The flat portion has an area that's looks like it has been exposed to a significant amount of force that has bent it. It is a fragment of something larger obviously. I don't know if it's titanium but I think it probably is just based on its appearance.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then the suggestions I made stand unless its a really recent bit of metal. Your choice what you do with it (shrugs). I still remember the event. As to more accurate identification only NASA would be able to say yay or nay. Titanium is pretty much immune to corrosion however it is affected by certain dissimilar metals. You can also try to drill it, titanium is very difficult to drill without specific materials and its difficult even then.

What ever it is it appears to be part of a flange or coupling.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like he said heat it up and you will know for sure!

Cool find for sure!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought about it for a sec and if you don't want to damage it much you can find a local metal heat treatment facility and ask them to look over and maybe give it a mohl hardness test. That would make a pretty quick assessment on what the material is.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks cast like pot metal

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I expect anything on a shuttle would be machined

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Try to drill a hole in it. If its titanium, a carbide bit won't touch it.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to drill a hole in it. If its titanium, a carbide bit won't touch it.

What? It most certainly will. It's not a magic metal. It's not that tough to drill, mill or work with in general.

Besides it's just a cast junk anyway!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I Have a piece that was from the nose portion that washed up on Merritt island. The lady that found it wanted one of the black tiles, but NASA took it all, but the piece I found. It appears to be a bent up piece of thick sheet metal. It is melted on the edges sooty black on one side and has some white powering. I will try to find it and post the image here. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can send it to NASA - I found a piece in same area as you

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
you can send it to NASA - I found a piece in same area as you

You mean donate it don't you. They place all the recovered parts of that shuttle in an old missile silo, never to be seen again. They classify them as Government property. Frank... hand print-2_edited-7.jpg

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
What? It most certainly will. It's not a magic metal. It's not that tough to drill, mill or work with in general.

Besides it's just a cast junk anyway!

Exactly what I was thinking. I have drilled a lot of titanium and inconel in my job, and carbide certainly will cut titanium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions