To Screen or Not to Screen

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I consider a new detector in the coming months Im curious if having a display screen is value added or more trouble then they are worth. I read post after post about the display indicating X but when they dig it was Y. I understand that's the nature of the beast but if I had the choice of one or the other which way would you lean? Also I am fairly new to the hobby but expect to have 3-6 months experience at the time of my next purchase.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It will depend on which detector you're referring to, for what "screen" you're talking about. Some detector's screens don't add much info (chevy vs ford debate), while others add fun options to help in the guess-work.

For example: On the explorer, the 2-axis cross-hairs does help in the fun. Not that I still don't dig most signals anyhow, but there are other times that I do indeed elect to pass targets based on the cross-hairs (combined with audio clues). Like for example: a wino-screw cap might have a sound indistinguishable from an IH, but in combination with the cross-hairs coordinates (caps show further to the left), you would have a better idea. Again, not that you'd skip it (especially if you were in a dig-all area), yet it adds to the fun to have more clues to draw from .

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a non meter detector years ago, I wanted a metered one now so I would have an idea how deep the target was and a little more info on the target, so I got a M6.
I'm still getting acquainted with all it does, but I'm happy with, it does read some pop tops as rings, then laughs when I dig it up!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, but i do think the additional information provided by a TID screen is of benefit to some hunters. If you are a dig it all relic hunter maybe not, but for coin shooting and trashy areas, I want all the info I can get because I don't dig everything. Actually what I use the most is variable tone audio ID - my Xterra has 99 tones, and after using it for years, those different sounds tell me nearly everything I need to know about the target.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use both with fairly equal results. I've become quite proficient with the non-metered detectors at determining whether a target is most likely junk or a a coin through manipulating the discrimination along with the tone of the signal. I do like the displays when in parks or yards where I feel I need to be extra careful in order to avoid disturbing any more turf than possible. In my view, either type will do the job.
luvsdux

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I too own the Explorer and agree with what Tom said!
Having more info on your target gives you more options..
Best of Luck in your choices!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I use a 13 year old Whites XLT for general purpose detecting. It has a great screen. It shows depth, It shows exact location of target [dead center of open coil], it gives an approximation of the target on a graph plus a picture image plus an ID number also. What you have to understand is no detector can give a definite ID. They are all guesses based on stored values in the computer. Most are calibrated to give coin results.
Just my thoughts on the subject. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread