what to buy???????????

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
id like some of the same information i look forward to all of your posts... i use a garrett master hunter from 10 years ago - i have been debating between the DFX - and the MXT - but darn i hear so much good stuff about the ace250 if it is equal in depth and its ability to coin shoot im in for 300.00 thats 700.oo more to travel and swing.. help us???

RE: above post - what are you looking for? relics? nuggets? coins? etc

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
For the type of hunting I do if I was going to drop a wad on a new detector,which I'm thinking about doing , I believe it would be between 3 detectors . Fishers new F75 , the T2 or the Nautilus DMC 2 Ba . Just my personal attention getters . I would also like to try Whites M6 & Fishers CZ3D .

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Go to a dealer that carries multi brands & try out different ones. Read the info on them & Talk to users & pick the one that best serve your purposes. I have a MXT & I love it but there are some other good MDs out there. Good luck & HH Sonny

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Please don't compare the DFX to the ace..... No insult to the ace but.....the DFX is loaded (think of a cadillac), the ace is the economy unit, a good value I heard but the DFX has so much to offer....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First detector? Relics or coins? Beach or woods, parks or homesites? Gold nuggets ever?

If it's your first I'd buy an Ace 250 for $250, an $80 handheld pinpointer and a good digging tool (Lesche - $35 to $40) and a good set of headphones ($80 to $120), bankroll the balance for a year and see what parts of detecting appeal to you. In a year you've saved back to that $1000, have a good spare or loaner (the 250), have a good idea of what's going on in the ground and can make a better choice. You also won't be overwhelmed with set-up and decisions in using a complex machine. The best machine for gold is not the best machine for coins, is not the best machine for relics, etc., etc.

If you are sure you just want coins from parks and picnic grounds something like a X-Terra 50 or a White's MXT would be a great choice. Jewelry maybe the White's M-6 would be better. If there is any chance of gold nuggets the X-Terra 70 would be worth the extra $. If you hunt old sites with lots of iron trash and deep coins something like a Minelab Sovereign GT would be a better choice.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
If you look a bit farther back in this General Discussion part or under the Metal Detecting part you will find that this has been covered a lot of times before. Of coarse your application my be unique and thus a more specialize recommendation.

For what I do(mostly old coin hunting with some occasional relic hunting) I perfer the Explorer II(Minelab). You can get a used one with a Sunray probe for about $900.

Bob

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
XLT...easy to use, Turn on and go.
Diverse enough to manipulate once you learn what you're doing.

Burt

OP
OP
R

raidersfans4

Apr 18, 2005
iowa
thanks to all,i'll hunt anything,any time, anywhere.frist detector was the ace 250.great unit,time to move on. went with the explorer se.got it the other day.i've got my hands full with this machine.any HELP!!!!! ON SETTINGS ETC.WOULD BE APPERCIATED. RAIDER

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Raider,

Great to hear you made a decision. I'm certain you will have a blast with the new machine

Now go out there and get us some pictures. . . ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread