Suggestions for documentary series episode - South American Discoveries

till8_

Apr 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I have really enjoyed looking around this wonderful website during my research. I thought it might be a good idea to ask if anyone has a good suggestion for a story I could base a documentary television episode on about myth hunters. Each episode of the series focuses on a particular person in history that has attempted to discover the treasures behind a particular myth or legend. I am focusing on stories from South America (Hiram Bingham - Machu Picchu excluded).

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. Particularly interested in any stories that have substantial research or a book on them.

Many thanks,
Matt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hello all,

I have really enjoyed looking around this wonderful website during my research. I thought it might be a good idea to ask if anyone has a good suggestion for a story I could base a documentary television episode on about myth hunters. Each episode of the series focuses on a particular person in history that has attempted to discover the treasures behind a particular myth or legend. I am focusing on stories from South America (Hiram Bingham - Machu Picchu excluded).

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. Particularly interested in any stories that have substantial research or a book on them.

Many thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt. I've enjoyed some of your TV show segments. thanx for chiming in here. A few observations on your question:

a) South America and Mexico cultures are very steeped in superstitions. Everyone seems to believe there's a treasure that "certainly must" be in every cave. So you'll find no shortage of stories of the conquistadors, pancho villa, etc... at every turn, haha. And when you probe deeper to find out how they're so sure a treasure is buried wherever, it's always "someone who told someone who told someone who told..." etc... Or they saw sparkles in the dirt, or smoke coming out of the ground, or had a vision or dream, etc.... I see you've maybe already beaten-that-to-the-punch, and specified that you only want stuff with "substantial research" on it :)

b) check out a book by Robert Marx called "Always Another Adventure". This fellow was amongst the first to dive in So. American locations back in the earlier 1960s, and has some great stuff in that particular book. He's still alive, so maybe you could even loop him in for an interview of that particular segment :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread