Need some advice on first detector

Diggernaut

Apr 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this has been posted before in some fashion, but I am looking to buy my first detector and need some advice from you guys and gals. My son has a Bounty Hunter 2200 and it's OK for a 9 year old but I am looking for something a little bit .....more. I started looking and first saw the Fisher F2. Similar to my son's BH. Nah. Then I decided I could budget a little more money and looked at the F4. It's OK, but not great. Then the F5 and a higher budget yet. I like the F5 and have done some research on it and looks like it might be right for me, as I will be just starting out doing some coin an relic type hunting. I want something that is expandable to some degree, if that's possible and just don't know what to look for in that regard. I occasionally go to a beach somewhere and I do a bit of prospecting as well. I know that there is no machine that does everything well, but something that is a good all-around starter. I have decide that I might be able to spend a little more money (boy this hobby is getting expensive quick! haha), but definitely can't go over about $800-$900. I would like to have headphones, pinpointer, etc. for that kind of money. I looked into the MXT, Tesoro's a little bit ( I really like the lifetime guarantee). I like the digital readout to help me learn on the MXT, but I want some adjustability and expandability and people REALLY like their Tesoros here. Does anyone have any suggestions to help a newbie make the right purchase the first time around? I can't afford to buy 5 or 6 machines to figure out which one I like the best. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like my Tesoro Tigershark... Good beach detector, waterproof comes with earphones... Very sensitive to small gold in all metal mode...finds coins in the rain if you get addicted to this hobbie... The man ground balance is not that difficult to learn and can be adjusted in salt mode for ocean... You must decide between 8 or 10 in coil for sensitivity to small targets and usability in trash with 8 " or depth with 10"...no readout so you learn to trust your ears... This will prove to be invaluable no matter what detector you pick up because the sound of a good target can be detected deeper than a ID readout! Readout screens are easily damaged with your digging tool!
Another good all around Tesoro is a Tejon... Especially if you like to find relics... While not designed as a prospecting machine, with a lobo coil it is Sensitive enough for small gold....in addition it finds deep coins and dual discrimination is awesome... 3.5 turn ground balance pot for most soil conditions, dry sand etc. For a beginner you would want to use minimal sensitivity tho because this machine goes really deep!

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am partial to whites products, as such a whites m6 is a great starter machine. Some people even stick with the m6 and never upgrade. I find myself just about always reaching for my trusty m6. Very very we'll made, rugged, simple, battery life in the 40 hr range, minimal knobs and doohickeys, goes deep, very very fast response, various interchangeable coils, good in iron infested sites, the best customer service around( though never had to use them for anything problem related), huge fan base, balanced very well, light weight, spot on id at depth, I can keep going, lol. It really is a great machine, and have had several hunting buddies with machines that cost 3 times as much go out and buy one.
Whatever your decision, learn the machine well and it will do great! GL HH, Mike

OP
OP
D

Diggernaut

Apr 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I really do appreciate the advice so quickly. I want to make the purchase in the next week or so because I just can't wait to get out and start, although, the morels are popping right now and the crappie are just starting to turn on around here... That might buy me a bit more time to decide.......I don't know! Thanks a million!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Diggernaut; Another suggestion is that if you look in the Classifieds here you can get a Whites DFX detector for $600 - $800. It originally sells for $1,200. With the money you save buy a decent set of headphones and your good to go. I use the DFX and love it. I can promise that you will NEVER need another detector for the rest of your life ok. It's Warranty is top notch as well ok. I find dimes at 12" routinely. Larger objects deeper. It will pick up pipes at 4' - 6'. That's no kidding ok. Think about it. It has all the bells but is also a turn on and go detector. It's screen readings are also very accurate ok. You'll learn the rest with time ok. I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites and Tesoro owners are often brand loyal and for good reasons... Both been around a long time...that being said and given the criteria of all around use and cost you would not go wrong either way... tesoro is the only one offering a life time warranty!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Diggernaut

Apr 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barker, I was looking on Kellycos website and I don't see the DFX. Is it a model that they no longer make? If so how long ago did they stop making it?

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got back into detecting less than a year ago. I have decided that this time around instead of having one work horse detector , I have for my personal enjoyment to own a number of detectors just for the sheer enjoyment of playing with different machines. I have bought used so I can own more of them. My main go to detector is a Tesoro Vaquero. I have a Tejon and only use it as a BIG GUN when i feel I really need it. After months of research i have determined for what I do ... i will be looking for a good used Fisher F 70. I am getting older and I don't see well and believe this will be my next purchase. The Fisher F 70 is a sleeper and slightly less complicated than its big brothers , The F75 and the T2. The ultimate machine for me I have determined is the teknetics T2 but feel i want to try an F 70 first by taking small steps verses jumping in with both feet. The Fisher F 70 may be a good choice for you as well.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've been using a Bounty Hunter for 40 years, just recently purchased a Tesoro Sand Shark. Wish I had done it years ago, the Sand Shark is da bomb.

keystonecops

Mar 9, 2014
salem or
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT-Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep an eye on craigs list. I got my Whites XLT fer 300.00. Whites has added new line ups to xlt, still a good machine and they will take excellent care of you if you have any issues. Later Clyde

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the truth is that if you really take the time to learn the language of the machine in your hand you will be able to hunt with anyone.I have owned several very high end machines but guess what.....my wifes simple fisher f2 misses nothing.Now that she speaks f2 she can hold her own with me and any other.

make sure the balance feels good
make sure you can live with the sounds you are gonna have to hear alot
make sure you get it from a reputable dealer
see sig below

its not that big a decision....talk to club guys in your area...talk to dealer...all of the new stuff rocks,it just has to play your song

cheers

OP
OP
D

Diggernaut

Apr 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading all of your responses here and I appreciate all of you opinions. Thank You. Bigfoot1, I really like what you said and though I have not even stepped into this hobby yet, it makes perfect sense!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Draw up a list of detectors in your price bracket, and then throw a dart at it.:laughing7:

SS

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I'm sure this has been posted before in some fashion, but I am looking to buy my first detector and need some advice from you guys and gals. My son has a Bounty Hunter 2200 and it's OK for a 9 year old but I am looking for something a little bit .....more. I started looking and first saw the Fisher F2. Similar to my son's BH. Nah. Then I decided I could budget a little more money and looked at the F4. It's OK, but not great. Then the F5 and a higher budget yet. I like the F5 and have done some research on it and looks like it might be right for me, as I will be just starting out doing some coin an relic type hunting. I want something that is expandable to some degree, if that's possible and just don't know what to look for in that regard. I occasionally go to a beach somewhere and I do a bit of prospecting as well. I know that there is no machine that does everything well, but something that is a good all-around starter. I have decide that I might be able to spend a little more money (boy this hobby is getting expensive quick! haha), but definitely can't go over about $800-$900. I would like to have headphones, pinpointer, etc. for that kind of money. I looked into the MXT, Tesoro's a little bit ( I really like the lifetime guarantee). I like the digital readout to help me learn on the MXT, but I want some adjustability and expandability and people REALLY like their Tesoros here. Does anyone have any suggestions to help a newbie make the right purchase the first time around? I can't afford to buy 5 or 6 machines to figure out which one I like the best. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

I haven't read past this first post because you post has the ' new first detector advice post' fatal flaw!
We need some facts to base a reply on.
What are you looking for target wise? Will it be mainly park hunting, or beach hunting. Are you interested in mainly finding coins or jewelry or relics, etc. Some detectors are specialized while some are general purpose.
Here's my setup. I use a 13 year old Whites XLT for general purpose detecting. It has built in programs for just about everything From coins and jewelry to prospecting. The beach is different. I scoop everything and I want to go deep so I use my 13 year old Whites Surfmaster PI detector. You can't beat a PI detector on the beach. I also do some cache hunting so I bought a used Hays 2 Box detector for that. It goes down, or out over 6', but the target must be larger than a softball. For hunting the walls in old buildings, I use a hand held Vibratector. It has about a 6" range.
Hay, you can pick up good used equipment, save a bundle and it goes just as deep.
Put some thought into it before you buy. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Diggernaut

Apr 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read past this first post because you post has the ' new first detector advice post' fatal flaw!
We need some facts to base a reply on.
What are you looking for target wise? Will it be mainly park hunting, or beach hunting. Are you interested in mainly finding coins or jewelry or relics, etc. Some detectors are specialized while some are general purpose.
Here's my setup. I use a 13 year old Whites XLT for general purpose detecting. It has built in programs for just about everything From coins and jewelry to prospecting. The beach is different. I scoop everything and I want to go deep so I use my 13 year old Whites Surfmaster PI detector. You can't beat a PI detector on the beach. I also do some cache hunting so I bought a used Hays 2 Box detector for that. It goes down, or out over 6', but the target must be larger than a softball. For hunting the walls in old buildings, I use a hand held Vibratector. It has about a 6" range.
Hay, you can pick up good used equipment, save a bundle and it goes just as deep.
Put some thought into it before you buy. Frank...
View attachment 988675

I thought I did say what I would be doing with it? "... as I will be just starting out doing some coin an relic type hunting. I want something that is expandable to some degree, if that's possible and just don't know what to look for in that regard. I occasionally go to a beach somewhere and I do a bit of prospecting as well. I know that there is no machine that does everything well, but something that is a good all-around starter...."

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
whitey's new mx-5 is worth a look!
light ,simple and based on the mxt...will be a
terrific coin sniper!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

OP
OP
D

Diggernaut

Apr 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a v3i. It was more than I originally budgeted but I think it'll be good, huh?

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone owns the best machine in the world. And it's better than the one that they replaced, otherwise they look foolish. It's the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. Knowing "your" machine is the ticket. A Bounty Hunter can out perform a ( you name it), in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. Just as a Whites can do the same. Buy wisely as you may or may not keep with the hobby. Happy Hunting.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; You should checkn out getting a used Whites DFX. You can get it for $600 - $800. It is originally a $1,200 detector. If you get it you will never need another detector ever ok. It is deep, accurate, Programable and very versatile. It has more than anything you need or want and is still a Turn on and Go type detector. The Warranty is excellent as well ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread