My review of the Grey Ghost Amphibian Headphones

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to post a short review about my newly purchased Grey Ghost Amphibian Headphones for the ATP.

To start with, I was very hesitant about purchasing a $150 set of headphones but I needed a waterproof set for creek hunting so I bit the bullet. I got to hunt this evening at a 1940's home place that I have about warn out (hunted a dozen times: 1 rosie, 1 merc and 50+ wheaties). First thing I noticed is that the sound of these headphones are nothing like the stock Garrett headphones that are included with the ATP. It changes the sound completely. I was very displeased because I have spent the last 300+ hours learning the tones on my Garrett headphones. Also, in my search for reviews, no one had mentioned this. Crap! Here I've gone an bought a high dollar set of headphones and I'm going to hate them. After about a hour of detecting, I loved the new tonal range of these things. The sound is pure and the separation between tones is beautiful. You can hear that distinctive rasp on the end of a high tone that gives you a better idea that the 80's signal, for example, is not going to be that penny you thought it would be. That happened over a dozen times with the same conclusion, not a penny (yes I dug those raspy signals too).

Fit is wonderful. My Garrett's would move around on my head and slip off on occasion. I did not re-position the Grey Ghosts in about 3 hours of hunting. The seal around your ear is tons better with outside interference. I believe that's a huge attribute to why those deep tones sound so much more pronounced.

Conclusion: 1 1953 Rosie, 6 wheats and about 10 clad coins The 1953 dime was about 7" and rang through clear. Now is that the reason I found those coins today, maybe not but I feel that the addition of these, in my opinion, made it easier to find those coins. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for reading and God Bless.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones do make a difference! Especially those whispers of deep goodies!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had much the same impression when I first started using my Grey Ghost phones for land machines. However, after becoming a bit accustomed to the somewhat different sound, I realized that the phones were clearer, crisper, cleaner and more precise than the inexpensive phones I had been using. Now, when I use one of the early sets, the sound is muffled and hollow compared to the Grey Ghosts.
luvsdux

OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the "like" msbeepbeep.

Luvsdux glad someone else had that first impression. I hunted again today and have almost forgot what the old ones sound like. Can't wait to do my first creek hunt with these and see how it works out.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know how you feel about the sound changing. I bought an E-trac 3 years ago and hunted for 6 months with the stock Koss UR-30 headphones that come with it. Found them to be very good compared to the $5 earbuds I used on previous machines. When I finally purchased the Grey Ghost original headphones and mounted them on the E-trac I was surprised that the tones were completely different...In a good way. I was disappointed at first, but after hunting with them for a few hours I quickly got used to the new sounds, and began picking up on the subtle differences in sounds. This led to better target ID simply by sound alone, and caused me to dig less trash and better targets. I've never gone back to the original set of phones, but always kept them as a backup in case my Grey Ghosts broke. Lets hope that never happens.

Thanks for the review! Might be looking at those for my AT pro at some point in the future.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones can make all the difference. When I had OBN build me a custom pair for my Excal, like you, all of the tones changed from what I was use too. However, they were crisper, much cleaner tones, the separation of tonal ranges greatly improved, the responses were stronger. The more I used them the more I loved them and I can usually call a recovery before it's been made now. This will increase you're confidence ten-fold which can only serve to increase your success. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirtdigger if my breaks out of warranty I'm buying another pair. :) Thanks for the comment

BigScoop, your right about the confidence. I'm trying to get done with yard work so I can go a few hours. I very excited to go back to some previous sites I've dug. It makes you think you left some good stuff in the ground which is exciting. I have already pulled a another Mercury out of the ground where my brother had been previous that he missed. So yea I'm pumped about these and would highly recommend them.

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to post a short review about my newly purchased Grey Ghost Amphibian Headphones for the ATP. To start with, I was very hesitant about purchasing a $150 set of headphones but I needed a waterproof set for creek hunting so I bit the bullet. I got to hunt this evening at a 1940's home place that I have about warn out (hunted a dozen times: 1 rosie, 1 merc and 50+ wheaties). First thing I noticed is that the sound of these headphones are nothing like the stock Garrett headphones that are included with the ATP. It changes the sound completely. I was very displeased because I have spent the last 300+ hours learning the tones on my Garrett headphones. Also, in my search for reviews, no one had mentioned this. Crap! Here I've gone an bought a high dollar set of headphones and I'm going to hate them. After about a hour of detecting, I loved the new tonal range of these things. The sound is pure and the separation between tones is beautiful. You can hear that distinctive rasp on the end of a high tone that gives you a better idea that the 80's signal, for example, is not going to be that penny you thought it would be. That happened over a dozen times with the same conclusion, not a penny (yes I dug those raspy signals too). Fit is wonderful. My Garrett's would move around on my head and slip off on occasion. I did not re-position the Grey Ghosts in about 3 hours of hunting. The seal around your ear is tons better with outside interference. I believe that's a huge attribute to why those deep tones sound so much more pronounced. Conclusion: 1 1953 Rosie, 6 wheats and about 10 clad coins The 1953 dime was about 7" and rang through clear. Now is that the reason I found those coins today, maybe not but I feel that the addition of these, in my opinion, made it easier to find those coins. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for reading and God Bless.

Hey CHAPP12- I just wanted to thank you for this review. Because of it I went out and purchased the Grey Ghosts this morning and then hit the beach. If I wouldn't have read your review I would have been pissed! Like you, I learned and knew well the stock Garrett head sets so when I heard the Ghosts tones at first I remembered your words and everything you said was true. Dead on. Bottom line, the Grey Ghost Amphibians rock. Thank you for a great review.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered myself a pair today and I have to say while doing some research coming across this thread it made me feel better about spending my money

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love mine for land and scuba!

Only wish the cord came out of the bottom of the ear cup and not the side - no real biggy but would prefer that.

Overall am very happy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wish the same thing

Dig-MV

Aug 26, 2014
Martha’s Vineyard
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is 2020 and your review is still helping people. My stock headphones stopped working and I ordered the GG. Totally surprised by the tone change. Iv hunter 8 years on my ATP and was definitely upset when I plugged them in. But time will tell.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Headphones are a necessity! :icon_thumleft:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My Grey Ghosts lasted about a year before they quit. Been on Sunray Pro Golds for over 5 years now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread