Tesoro Vaquero

kmaxwell4

Greenie
Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Vaquero I have had for about 5 years. It is a great machine but I seem to always have a hard time getting it ground balanced. I was at a new location yesterday right down the street from my house and when I tried to ground balance I would turn on the threshold about 1 o'clock and have it in all metal mode and the sensitivity on 10. As soon as I would lift the coil off the ground it would go silent until I was about 10 inches off the ground the threshold sound would come back but when I pushed it back to the ground it would go silent again. I tried adjusting the ground balance but it would still do the same thing. I live south of Atlanta, GA so there is a lot of red clay but I have never had this happen before. I also get a lot of false signals and the end of each of my left and right sweeps while I am hunting. Any help on this would be appreciated. I tired pulling the battery and checking to see if it needed to be changed but the battery was good. :icon_scratch:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
K

kmaxwell4

Greenie
Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Terry!! I think I see what I was doing wrong now. I had the discrimination knob turned on when I was trying to ground balance it, I should have had it turned off until I was ready to hunt. What about the false signals and the end of each of my sweeps with the coil? Do you think I am swinging to fast?

Last edited:

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to-err-is-human-HG-800x727.jpg ....Nice going...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the wrap on your coil wire and make sure the wire is not flopping around. Turn your sensitivity down a bit and see if that helps.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you removed the coil cover and checked for dirt build up... My DeLeon doesn't have adjustable GB and dirt under the cover was such an annoyance I glued the cover on...

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you always had a problem with false beeps at the end of your swings? Or was it just at that particular location?

Electrical interference or even wet grass on high sensitivity can produce those.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you have swung on wet grass recently....and any water made its way to your coil...bam...trouble.The truck bed liner stuff is really quite good for solving that....but it must be working correctly when applied

cheers

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
would be glad to help you via phone.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mosquito hum really terry sounds more like a sick goat
happy hunting....

liftloop

OP
OP
K

kmaxwell4

Greenie
Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you always had a problem with false beeps at the end of your swings? Or was it just at that particular location?

Electrical interference or even wet grass on high sensitivity can produce those.

It has always done it since it was new.

OP
OP
K

kmaxwell4

Greenie
Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you removed the coil cover and checked for dirt build up... My DeLeon doesn't have adjustable GB and dirt under the cover was such an annoyance I glued the cover on...

Never removed it. I will check it out. Thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread