Immediate Opportunity! Northwest Ohio

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would you approach this to be able to search there?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read the headline below the pic, they are in the process of laying sod. I am most certain that kills any opportunity to hunt it now.

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read the headline below the pic, they are in the process of laying sod. I am most certain that kills any opportunity to hunt it now.

All this kind gives me an idea.

Why not make friends with a Nursery and ask them if you can search with a metal detector before they lay fresh sod down on any jobs they do. You can tell them by doing so you'd be helping pick up any metals/junk that no one would want there.

Just a thought.

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or better yet when you see a farmer tilling the first or last of the year - ask Him if you can comb the 'turned dirt while he's out there and tell him you'll split it with him and pick up any junk you find?

Seems like a good idea to make friends with farmers.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure they are not laying sod yet on all 54 acres. That is a LOT of land. Go for it.
Go after 4 pm when you wont get hassled. don't leave any holes and pick up your trash.
Try and minimize holes by using a lesche and not a shovel.
There must be SOME out of the way places in all that acreage.
WHO is going to do it?
You are missing out on a prime opportunity.
I had this happen where I live and nobody ever hassled me. I was on a main street too!
Found a really nice bone handled folding knife and some older coins.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I would have been on that right away if it was in my hood.
All they would tell you is to get lost. After all, if it's all ripped up already,
you are not going to do any damage.
I drove by a house in my neighborhood where the yard was dug up. I was a big chicken to
go and ask permission at first. Then I figured, they are either going to say yes, or no.
The lady said, "Hell, I don't care!", so I got my tector out pronto and started in on her front yard.
She closed the door and that was the last I saw of her.

I didn't find but a few pennies, keys and a bullet, then I went down the side of the house.
Got a 4-05 on my explorer and figured it had to be at least a dime. Turned out it was
a nice gold class ring from 1959. Still working on id ing it.
But my point is, by being a wuss, I would have missed out.

Attachments

• DSCN6745.JPG
    DSCN6745.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't find it if you don't look. Any time some of the top soil is removed is a prime opportunity to find older goodies. Go for it!
You could tell them you doing a survey of the amount and type of trash found around a college campus, and so far theirs is surprising clean, they love that stuff!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like The Tom Sauyer thing toss some silver in the ground invite a 100 or so people to detect and tear up the ground and your ready to seed from free labor lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread