Target ID/tone and Depth Conundrum

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've just realized/been informed that the machine I've been using for the last few years as a relic machine, may be a bit inadequate for what I've been using it for. The X-terra 70 that I only used to use as a coinshooting machine, apparently has a problem identifying small brass, such as buttons, as a non-ferrous item in bad ground at a depth of 8 inches or more. I know it can positively ID lead, but the flat button I buried at 8 inches a few years ago, in the bad ground of my backyard, comes up as iron.

What machines are on the market that can give a positive ID on brass at 8 inches? High or mid tone would be just fine as I usually don't pay any attention to VDI anyway. Also, please no heavier than about 3.6 lbs. I just recently acquired the AT-Pro, but haven't used it enough to know if it can accomplish this. But, I'm wondering if the fact that it uses a 15khz coil vs the X-terra 7.5, might make it better to work in iron, or how it really handles moderately bad to badly mineralized ground.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go higher on the khz for smaller lower conductive targets..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The explorer series of detectors gives a pretty good indication of mid versus lows versus highs, on penny/dime sized targets, at depths up to 10" or so. And iron versus non-iron on penny/dime sized targets at 11" or so. But of course this is on targets with a clear-line of sight, low to moderate minerals, etc...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used my CTX in highly mineralized ground not too far north of you and getting a response over 5-6" was difficult, much less a positive ID. I didn't dig any brass while using it this particular day, but lead was all over the place depending on its shape and getting deeper than 6" was difficult at best. A PI with GB does a much better job in those places. You would be amazed at how many targets a VLF missed that are less than 4-6" in these areas of high mineralization.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Ferrous vs non-ferrous at 8 inches

I've used my CTX in highly mineralized ground not too far north of you and getting a response over 5-6" was difficult, much less a positive ID. I didn't dig any brass while using it this particular day, but lead was all over the place depending on its shape and getting deeper than 6" was difficult at best. A PI with GB does a much better job in those places. You would be amazed at how many targets a VLF missed that are less than 4-6" in these areas of high mineralization.

You say a "A PI with GB" does a much better job. Are you talking about the White's TDI?
Yeah, I'm starting to think a PI would be a good machine to add to my collection, since the relics that are left are going to be in sites that VLFs don't fair well in.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say a "A PI with GB" does a much better job. Are you talking about the White's TDI? Yeah, I'm starting to think a PI would be a good machine to add to my collection, since the relics that are left are going to be in sites that VLFs don't fair well in.

Bill, yes the TDI is one PI with GB, the other 3 I'm familiar are the Infinium, ATX and the GPX series.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If "target ID" is part of your "conundrum", then no, I don't think the TDI is going to help you.

Yes it has a semi-ability to tell low vs mid vs high vs iron . But if set it up take advantage of that (off-tune the correct ground balance ), then you will have lost the fabled detph ability the pulse is known for . Your detph and ID ability will end up being no better than any # of regular machines by the time you're done . They're also way too squirrely sensitive for the average junky site.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the video out at the end to compare finds digging in the Bama red dirt. To dig targets over 8" you will dig a certain amount of iron when relic hunting. Ive never used the TDI so I can't really comment on its ability to distinguish iron, but have about 60 hours on my GPX 4800. I'm batting about 70% on knowing when the target is iron. A bent nail will fool the best of us no matter what machine your swinging.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You already have two great machines that shouldn't have any problems identifying brass. What kHz coil are you using on the x70? Is it the18.75, if so then yea you might have a problem on the high conductors. Put a 3 kHz coil on there and you should have not problems with buttons. Your at pro is supposedly very good in iron infested sites and the dd coil should help with the highly mineralized soil. I don't believe you need another detector. IMHO , good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions