PULL TABS AND GOLD

N

nightshift

i am currently running a BH SHARPSHOOTER and it advises against descriminating pull tabs as this will allso descriminate against gold items...when it says "gold items" does this mean all carrats of gold...and is this typical of all metal detectors, allso what do they add to 24 crt gold to make it harder and more durable?....would really appreciate some advice on this matter as i p-lan on doing the beaches this summer

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not gold coins. The small, thin rings hit below pull tabs and the large, thick ones hit above. Depends on size, shape and purity.

http://jewelrygallery.com/gold.shtml

Silver, copper, zinc, nickel. Other metals are added to alter the color. Then there is gold plate ove some base metal. It varies quite a bit.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Not gold coins. The small, thin rings hit below pull tabs and the large, thick ones hit above. Depends on size, shape and purity.

http://jewelrygallery.com/gold.shtml

Silver, copper, zinc, nickel. Other metals are added to alter the color. Then there is gold plate ove some base metal. It varies quite a bit.

Charlie... good advise.

Remember that not only are you getting the visual, but the tone ID with your machine. I really suggest getting some pulltabs, bottle tops, some nickles, a gold ring (or more in various sizes/thickness) and just testing them, air test okay, buried even better. Your machine will eventually discriminate out the gold rings, but should never discriminate the gold coins...

If all else fails BH has a site you can check out for tech questions.

G

garbage digger

I say play it safe and dig those pull tabs. :)

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Dig everything. I dug up the crushed top of a 3 wick lamp and pulled a clay shot from the same hole. I just love finding stuff! ;D

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will pull tabs register different on each swing and Gold rings give you a sound consistant ring every swing?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
If you want rings dig tabs and nickles

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
I'm sure I missed a lot of gold by not digging 'tabs. I'd guess, from experience with 6 detectors, that 40 % + of gold rings fall around the pulltab range. Now I dig everything in that range.

T

TreasureTales

erikk said:
If you want rings dig tabs and nickles

Absolutely correct!

There is the faster way of detecting - cherrypicking (only digging the "good" signals.) And there is the more successful way of detecting - digging everything. You will have to work harder when you dig everything, but you will be rewarded frequently for your efforts. Besides, it's the best way to learn the idiosyncrasies of your own machine. Practice makes very nearly perfect when metal detecting.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I have tried for years to come up with the best desc. settings to miss the tabs and grab the gold. Finally I quit trying to be selective in my settings, and started digging solid signals on the vdi that fell into the tab /gold area on the meter, and those above, and my ring finds have really shot up. All my rings are found in the dirt, so believe me, I have dug more than my share of tabs. If you want the gold, you have to dig the tabs. In the end, I think it's worth the extra work. I now go back to the previous sites where I used to be more selective. I have asked the same questions that you ask, and the experienced detectorist gave me this same advice--they're correct. Good luck and be patient

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I find myself doing both! I cherry pick until I am satisfied with my clad numbers then I start digging everything!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread