Re-Annealing Thin Metal/Restoration

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now and then I find something that 'would' be cool if it wasn't smashed or contorted in some way. Often these 'things' are of very thing metals, like sheet brass. If they have small parts that need bent back into place, to make the item look somewhat in line with it's former glory, i find that it can be quite brittle. It seems like there is enough metal there to 'not' be brittle, but maybe if one were to take a torch and 'gently' heat and cool it(anneal), it would bend easier. Obviously I wouldn't want to fry the metal...so gently heating I am hoping would work...maybe. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I just get tired of finding something that is at FIRST cool-interesting, then later, after the initial clean up...I wish that I could find it in a little better shape...so then comes the tedious operation of making something look a little more presentable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. But I would rather have more discernible artifacts to show people when possible(for all that digging work)...rather than something that someone threw away 50-100 years ago.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what we do find things lost, hidden, or discarded, most of which are not in good shape. Like you said it's great when we can restore the item, but most times that doesn't happen.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you having put all the effort into finding and recovering the item it means more to you.
It's hard to get someone who doesn't MD to see the value and the thrill of the hunt and history in a found object that they would not pick up if they saw it lying in the street.
Try getting pictures of what the objects looked like in their former lives to display next to the item, if you are not satisfied with the restored item it's self.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, maybe it sounds like I am upset that everything found isn't perfect. I clearly understand this, but once in awhile it would be nice to find something in 'great' shape lol. But for those...or should I say almost 100% of those things that I find that are just askew of being in at least 'not bad' shape, I wish that they could be worked with more easily. Initially that is what I was getting after...has anyone used a torch to re-anneal thin metal that needed bent or shaped back into place. I'll just have to try it and hope. If it can be done, that will help with my insanely ambitious restoration attempts. I like the idea of posting comparative photos. That makes sense, though I've never done it. I am still a fledgling detectorist really. Thanks for the comment(wisdom) Msbeepbeep.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To kind of recreate jappaned tin I have tried torch and stove burner on modern tin containers. Easy to over heat a spot,also impurities create different inconsistency. Once paint burnt off and surface brushed clean a coat of wax or oil to preserve. Practice on a mint tin if you want to try. But annealing being to soften hardened metal or at least de stress it is usually done by heating in an oven or bank of coals depending on the object and let to cool for many hours in a gradually reduced heat. To try to reshape crinkled thin stock,consider how it was originally shaped,by what force.The stress induced in forming and later damage all effect what you can do with it.Brittle stock likes to fracture.Easy to fry with a torch flame because its uneven heating.
A form not unlike a miniature anvil or a rectangle with one end pointed clamped in place for a surface to place stock on might give some way of working.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:We all have it to some degree- OCD ! Kidding jarl!
For your sake I hope you find gold it usually comes out of the ground looking like new! Only OCD cure I know...I'm not there yet either! Lol!
It would be nice to restore our MD finds to a presentable state.
I have seen a post way back talking about straightening stuff with a torch. Being me, I would not attempt it, I would end up setting the house on fire! I am CLOSELY related Murphy! People worry when I get my hands on a soldiering iron trying to repair my old pin pointer! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread