Just curious

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
10" ?? That's pretty stout, I think the deepest coin I've gotten was 6-7. I use a cortez. Does the cibola have manual ground balance?? I usually go in disc mode, and I have been wondering how much(if any) depth this is costing me.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two indianhead pennies at 9.5 inches. The soil was really black and fertile...not the normal conditions I dig in.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
It's always the monkeys braggin about the whites machines - sheesh !!! ::)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Silver .50 cent = 8 inches
Silver .10 cent = 6-7 inches (many times)
Brass bits the size of pencil erasers = 6+ inches

Soil conditions varied...

Bounty Hunters...

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
At an ocean beach ; Quarters at 12"+ in the wet sand with my 1280X with the 10 1/2" coil.

Inland ; A 1750 Brittania at about 8" with a Whites 5000D with standard coil.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
So far, coins up to 6"-8" T2
3"-4" Discovery 3300

Mason jar lids - 16+" (register as zinc pennies with the T2)

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Mona Lisa said:
Two indianhead pennies at 9.5 inches. The soil was really black and fertile...not the normal conditions I dig in.

Mona

What a beautiful portrait , and such pretty eyes you have.......

OP
OP
G

garbage digger

gold fish said:
10" ?? That's pretty stout, I think the deepest coin I've gotten was 6-7. I use a cortez. Does the cibola have manual ground balance?? I usually go in disc mode, and I have been wondering how much(if any) depth this is costing me.

10in. is a guesstimate and I've been known to be off :D, but I know it was close. It was just about two trowel blade lengths deep which measures at 5in. The Cibola does not have a manual GB., but the area I hunt alloys me to run wide open super tuned with out much of any chatter.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I dug a dang nail today that must of been about that deep . Good beep both ways . Wasn't that big of a nail either . I had iron , foil , pulltabs & screw caps discriminated out too . I must admit I was running the sensitivity pretty high . I use a Time Ranger .

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Yesterday we went to the beach here, and we made a couple of passes, didn't find anything then as I go closer to the water line the detector went crazy. :o Found a couple of pieces of junk and I mean JUNK. ::) Then we found what appeared to be junk from what the meter read out, :o So we started to dig. Seemed like it was maybe 6 or 7 inches. But probably more like 4 or 5, anyway we found a Ford Automobile key, it looked like the key to my first car a 1959 ford.

The Ford Motor Company quit making single sided keys for their vehicles in 1962 or 1963 if I'm not mistaken.

OP
OP
G

garbage digger

W6PEA said:
Yesterday we went to the beach here, and we made a couple of passes, didn't find anything then as I go closer to the water line the detector went crazy. :o Found a couple of pieces of junk and I mean JUNK. ::) Then we found what appeared to be junk from what the meter read out, :o So we started to dig. Seemed like it was maybe 6 or 7 inches. But probably more like 4 or 5, anyway we found a Ford Automobile key, it looked like the key to my first car a 1959 ford.

The Ford Motor Company quit making single sided keys for their vehicles in 1962 or 1963 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm a Chevy guy myself, so I'm not sure when Ford switched over. I know GM had single sided keys long after 62' However I am pretty sure that ford was the first to go to a double sided key so you may be right.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My deepest find was about 18" with the Musky. Turned out to be a friggen windshield whiper motor! It must have been part of fill dirt that was used to level that section of the park I was detecting. That copper coil inside just made the sweetest "coos" in my ears, saying "dig deeper, deeper". Gremmer frankel frabben trafgrak.

I found a silver Roosevelt dime at an honest 9" with the same detector.

whiskers

Dec 13, 2003
Silicon Valley
I dug up a monkey wrench at 1 1/2 or 2 feet with my Compass about 30 years ago. There was supposed to be a treasure (forgive lack of more specifics but I know the gang I'm talking to :)) there, so you can bet my heart was racing.

Which brings up another question: how deep am I willing to go to dig up a quarter? In my case, not very.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
whiskers said:
I dug up a monkey wrench at 1 1/2 or 2 feet with my Compass about 30 years ago. There was supposed to be a treasure (forgive lack of more specifics but I know the gang I'm talking to :)) there, so you can bet my heart was racing.

Which brings up another question: how deep am I willing to go to dig up a quarter? In my case, not very.

It just depends on how deep I can get my bender digger to dig!!! :-X

whiskers

Dec 13, 2003
Silicon Valley
"It just depends on how deep I can get my bender digger to dig!!!"

Am I the only one in this vast reading audience who doesn't know what a "bender digger" is?

Or how to put a box around a quote?

Or doesn't know why I should push the "Ignore User" button?

Or why we are in Iraq?

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
whiskers said:
"It just depends on how deep I can get my bender digger to dig!!!"

Am I the only one in this vast reading audience who doesn't know what a "bender digger" is?

Or how to put a box around a quote?

Or doesn't know why I should push the "Ignore User" button?

Or why we are in Iraq?

That was meant to be funny, I have a partner that goes with me.....and being as i have a severe back injury....."She Who Must be Obeyed" is my bender digger. Sorry you didn't understand. ::)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a solid 8 or 9 with my troy x5 on a 1867 indian last inch was clay
top layers was standard lawn and black loomy earth
and a 12 x4 inch long peice of iron in a farm feild at a few inchs under 2 feet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread