Rookie review of ace250 at the beach

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Put in a few hours at Hammonasett State Park in CT. While I'm no expert and only my 2nd day out with this machine, thought some of you might want to here about my experiance. This beach is on the shore of long island sound so I can't say what your results might be in your area. First off, didn't find much . But I believe this was from being hunted hard since last summer. Also it looked like some new sand might have been brought in. Regardless of that, after reading the ace would have trouble performing in wet sand, I wanted to see for myself. I can home happy with my results. Quite a bit of tin foil, 2 bottle caps, 2 pull tabs, 1 beer can, and 1 cheap earring (I think). Also spent about 5 minutes on my hands and knees hunting around for a target that ending up being a piece if metal smaller than a finger nail clipping. Some of the surface sand was dry, but most was wet from yesterdays rain. It was also low tide. I ran the machine in jewelry mode with 4 bars showing. What surprised me first was the lack of any noise from my machine. I thought the sand might be masking any targets. But after a few finds I assume the machine was operating properly. All of my finds were in totally wet sand between the tide lines and from 4 to 5 inches deep. As long as I got a REPEATABLE tone, when I dug something was there. One pull tab was so close to the water line that the hole filled with water as I dug. I wasn't able to pinpoint the targets, but it's the beach, not hard to fill a big hole. False readings(I Hope) were few, mostly from grounding the machine. The others I could never get a repeatable tone and past on them after digging a few with no results. The earring(?) I found at about 4 inches and small piece of metal made me think I wasn't missing much. Because I dug no coin, I buried a penny about 3 inches in wet sand was able to get a target on it easily. Pinpointing in the dry sand worked as expected. I was pleased my 1st test at the beach and would like to hear some other experiances with this machine near the water. Thanks. P.S. Will be posting my pic over in todays finds.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Nice review, and you found some goodies while still learning your machine.....you can't beat that at all. Good job!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread