Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay wait a minute !
Here is a golden opportunity. With all the zincons rotting away, You should be saving good speciments.
The more that rot away will add value to your prime collection. When you get those shiny new ones in change seal them away for future profit. Also stash the new shields. Think about it! Frank...-

Market doesn't work that way. If it did, then our old coins would be worth 100xs more because the mint is constantly destroying every old coin that comes in from the banks. The vast majority of old silver coins and especially copper cents have been lost to the smelter.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
The vast majority of old silver coins and especially copper cents have been lost to the smelter.

Are they actively retiring copper cents? Back when I was CRHing pennies, I was reliably getting 20% copper out of bank boxes. There'd even be a wheatie or two in there usually.

The disparity between coppers and zincolns may be explainable by mintage figures. The yearly totals are readily available but I was unable to find the totals by material and to be completely honest, adding them up by year is not a task that I'm willing to do. It might be an interesting project for someone who's handy with a spreadsheet and has a few hours to spare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread