Mosquitoes

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
The short answer:
[h=5]Is Permethrin dangerous to my skin?
[/h] The warning labels on the cans or bottles are often misunderstood. Your skin metabolizes, or breaks down Permethrin within fifteen minutes of contact with skin. Therefore, it is of no value to you as a personal protection insect repellent when applied to the skin. In addition, the EPA precautionary statement, "Do Not Apply to Skin" indicates that Permethrin is ineffective when applied to skin; therefore, do not apply to skin.

So what if the bug killing effectiveness is diminished by skin contact, what does it do to your liver???

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out the other day and spent 5 hours in the woods relic hunting with my permethrin treated clothes. The brush was heavy and mosquitos were thick in the air. I stood still and looked at the mosquitos trying to make their approach. They landed on me but never bit me. I also knew that these woods were loaded with ticks and chiggers. After 5 hours I came home and couldn't find one tick on me anywhere. I also did not get bit by any of the mosquitos. I did get 2 chiggers around my ankle. I had not treated my feet, so they got in my shoe. I applied alcohol to them and they were gone. I am very happy to have ventured into those woods and come out free of those bloodsuckers. I also found 7 miniballs with my new 9 x 12 coil. Wish I had known about permethrin years ago...

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what if the bug killing effectiveness is diminished by skin contact, what does it do to your liver???

According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, permethrin "has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin, and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon."[SUP][16][/SUP]

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I USE AVON'S SKIN SO SOFT. NOTHING TOXIC. SMELLS PRETTY GOOD. WORKS GREAT FOR SKEETERS. I DUST MY LOWER PANTS FROM THE KNEE DOWN TO THE SOLES OF MY SHOES WITH "SEVIN DUST", ITS SAFER THAN MOST ALTERNATIVES JUST DON'T APPLY TO SKIN.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was kind of joking about the premitherin, but they did warn us about getting it on our hands and ingesting it etc., when I was in the service. There was another product, which I think contained premitherin that you would wash your clothes in.

I know that the premitherin spray will wipe out fire ant nests and they will not come back to the spot ever. Spray until the ground is wet on top of the nests.

I actually use either a lemon oil spray or a Thermocell unit because I dislike using chemicals. I realize that this only works for mosquitos and gnats and not ticks.

Last edited:

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was always taught that if you eat garlic filled foods the insects (and people) will bother you less.

If that's a picture of you with the blue hair....I don't think anyone would mess with you...lol

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know for a FACT it will screw up your liver,knew a nurse that had a liver transplant because of that crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sure seems that there has been a concerted national effort to promote DEET and diminish Permetrhin, right down to "shelf wars" as they're called, the battle for display space in retail stores. I often wonder just what that's all about?

Please prove your FACT. Did she eat the stuff? What were the circumstances of her supposed exposure and subsequent diagnosis? Is she using DEET products now instead?

Liver Failure Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, Tests & More

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't Bite Me Patch Natural Insect Repellent

I get these at the supermarket. They work good on mosquitoes and gnats. In your case, since you were stirring them up, not sure if that would work. They are vitamin b1 patches. The excess thiamine is passed through your breath, skin and urine. The mosquitoes are normally attracted to the CO2 in your breath. This makes it unpalatable to them. It works for me, but I was never actually stirring them up like you were.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure seems that there has been a concerted national effort to promote DEET and diminish Permetrhin, right down to "shelf wars" as they're called, the battle for display space in retail stores. I often wonder just what that's all about?

Please prove your FACT. Did she eat the stuff? What were the circumstances of her supposed exposure and subsequent diagnosis? Is she using DEET products now instead?

Liver Failure Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, Tests & More

At the time I had to have a Nurse to change a wound packing,I did not get into details,I don't know if ingested or not,all I know is what She told me.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I remember KVM mentioning taking B1 a few days before they went out in the wilds.
I may try the lemon juice and skin so soft, because Listerine spray isn't doing it!
Afraid to use chemicals because I ended up in ER after inhaling an unknown substance floating in the air. They think it was a lawn/pest chemical, never found out for sure. I definitely wouldn't want a repeat I may not be so lucky!

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY WIFE TOLD ME THAT GNATS AND FLIES HATE THE SMELL OF "PINE-SOL" CLEANING SOLUTION. SHE READ THAT IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS IN THE KITCHEN WITH THEM, THAT ALL YOU NEED DO IS WASH THE SURFACES WITH IT, AND THEY WILL FLEE.
I WONDER IF HANGING ONE OF THOSE PINE SCENTED CAR AIR FRESHENERS AROUND MY NECK WOULD DO THE TRICK. YEAH, I KNOW THAT SOUNDS A LITTLE CRAZY, EVEN FOR ME. #/;0)~

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
MY WIFE TOLD ME THAT GNATS AND FLIES HATE THE SMELL OF "PINE-SOL" CLEANING SOLUTION. SHE READ THAT IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS IN THE KITCHEN WITH THEM, THAT ALL YOU NEED DO IS WASH THE SURFACES WITH IT, AND THEY WILL FLEE.
I WONDER IF HANGING ONE OF THOSE PINE SCENTED CAR AIR FRESHENERS AROUND MY NECK WOULD DO THE TRICK. YEAH, I KNOW THAT SOUNDS A LITTLE CRAZY, EVEN FOR ME. #/;0)~
Pine forests seem to have no shortage of skeeters?

HunterStanley

Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A mosquito spray is effective for 3 hours. An anti-mosquito stick is effective for 4 hours or so. If you don’t want to use chemical substances, there are some natural means to get rid of mosquitoes such as lemongras essential oil and other. In this article you will find all methods of fighting with these insects. Hope it will come in handy.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a problem on one of my friends' properties. He had about ten automobile tires stacked in his back yard. Not junk, he just did not find a use for them yet.

Well anyone who has left a tire outside knows that it will fill with water eventually and it is most difficult to get the water out. The Skeeter's were laying their eggs and hatching larve in the standing water.

Now the mosquito large lives in water but it must breath air. To do this the skeeter larvae swims its butt to the surface and hangs there with by way of surface tension.

Rather than empty the tires, lazy as we were, we put a shot of jet dry into every tire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions