Railway line

Wenzel

Oct 13, 2006
Dear collegues,
I have found a railway line which has been abandoned. It served both for people and for goods for more than 100 years.
Is this an interesting area to check ? Do you have any advices how to "handle" this area ?
I am aware that existing iron (rails, sleepers) are somewhat a problem....
Thank you in advance and have a nice day.
Greetings from Europe. Wenzel.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, there may be some good signals, but i suggest digging up iron becasue there are nails that were used up into the 60's with numbers on them. The numbers are the date and they are very collectible. So make sure to dig and save these because they can be worth 3 or so dollars each

Good luck

HH
-GC

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can find a station house or inn it would be a good spot to concentrate.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Charlie P. (NY) said:
If you can find a station house or inn it would be a good spot to concentrate.

Amen! If you want to dig lots of iron, just follow the rail bed, but look for flowers, driveways to nowhere or foundations if ya want the real goodies.

Arrggghh!

Tom Walter

Greenie
Feb 19, 2005
A guy I used to work with found a US$20.00 gold coin while working on a rail line in Illinois (old C&EI) ... you just never know.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I'm sure someone here can also tell you how many miles of line was laid each day before the men camped, ate, and rested... those stops if known or discovered might yield a little more than iron rail workings...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread