Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm buying a pinpointer, which one

la9 said:
I've read the good and the bad and I'm going to go ahead and purchase one.

Looks like the vibraprobe gets pretty good ratings.

I was thinking about a bullseye but haven't heard too many positives on it.

Thanks for helping

Vibraprobe is a solid model and waterproof

best deal

HH
-GC

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have the bullseye, it works pretty good. I have had no problems with it. Granted its not a probe and I wouldn't want to use it as one. I have also heard good things and bad things about the vibraprobe. Pinpointers are really just that, pinpointers, I wouldn't use one for anything else (i.e. probing). I think you would be happy with either model.

Thats just my 2 cents ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've got a Merlin SXL that I like but I think I'll be getting a Sunray that attaches right to the detector in the near future. Haven't quite decided whether I like the idea of the ease & simplicity vs. the added weight all the rest of the time.

G

garbage digger

Vibraprobe 560 is a well built,and water proof machine, however it lacks in depth and has an annoying auto shut off that can cause cross-talk until it shuts off. If you have the money I would go with a Detector pro or Treasure Mate, but as stated Vibraprobe is surely the right choice for the price range.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

If you want a hand held get a vibra-probe but IMHO you cant beat a Sun Ray

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

If you want one that is big...awkward...and clumsy...always falling out of pouch....get the same one as me>automax v4, its so big I am just waiting for it to break!

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer

Another vote for sunray.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DFX-Gregg said:
If you want one that is big...awkward...and clumsy...always falling out of pouch....get the same one as me>automax v4, its so big I am just waiting for it to break!

Got the same problem with mine it is always falling out

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll throw in a vote for the Bullseye II. I have one and find it to be much more rugged than it looks. I've beat it up pretty good and it has never failed me. After using it for two seasons, I won't go out without it. The light has actually been useful from time to time.

JG

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

I've used the following:

Bullseye
Sherlock
Vibraprobe
Sunray

The Bullseye was good. It would take abuse, and break. I would fix it and it would go another few months of abuse, break and fix again. All in all a decent probe with good range.

Sherlock pretty much the same as Bullseye except not as "waterresistant" as the Bullseye. Have had the unit "fail" due to moisture. Just dry it out and it's back in business. Also switch breaks easily. Fairly simple fix to rig a new one.

Vibraprobe seems a little more durable but does not have the range of the others. The first two I mentioned will go about an inch on a penny. Also having to raise it to turn it on is not the most desirable feature but I guess it eliminates the broken switch.

The Sunray probe is the way to go. The extra range on this makes it great. It will go about 2 inches on a penny with my Explorer II. The other nice thing is that you can stick the probe in the hole and determine if it is iorn or something else. I hunt with my son who does not have the sunray(has the vibraprobe). Almost everytime we go hunting he comes accross some iffy signal that he starts digging that he calls me over to check with my probe.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Almost all read about the same. Only knock on V4 is size. The Sunray and the Pocket Uniprobe read deeper. The Sunray is good, uses the detectors circuitry and power, it is always there. Knocks, reads up to 5 inches, not easy to pinpoint sometimes, causes detector to go out of balance, you need to switch from detector to probe, adds weight. The Pocket Uniprobe can be carried on the body but requires its own power. For me the ultimate probe would be intgrated and tested by the detector manufacturer. It would work along the lines of the Sunray. The switch would be easy to change and a light on when in probe mode. Also add a sensitivity setting for the probe only setting so you could vary the detection range form about 1/2" to 6 inches. I know it can be done, hint to all you manufacturers out there! (subliminal message MINELAB! MINELAB! ) Ha Ha!

Forgot to mention I use the original Bulls Eye. Or better said I abuse it regularly. It looks like it has been to a war zone. They must be made for Whites by Timex, because it takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread