Recovering Sunken Treasure on a Shoestring Budget

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
The "treasure" I'm referring to isn't necessarily what you think. I'm not talking about a chest full of Spanish doubloons or some bloodthirsty pirate's booty, but rather a small collection of assorted coins that were lost many years ago. The story goes, as my Dad tells it, something like this: as children, he and my uncles spent many a summers day diving off a wharf along a nearby lake. On one particular day, one of my uncles had borrowed my grandfathers small coin collection to show to some buddies. For some reason, he put it in his pocket, and forgot it was still there when he took a dive off the wharf. He came back up, but the coin collection didn't. He and his brothers spent hours trying in vain to find it, and although Dad never elaborated further, I can safely assume my uncle went to bed that night with a very sore rear end or worse.
That was 60 years ago. My Dad is nearly 70 now and finding this lost coin collection has been on his "bucket list" for decades. He's not the kind of person to take much initiative for this sort of thing, so I would very much like to help him find these lost coins while he's still able to enjoy the moment. That's where I need some advice. The coins were in a small case, presumably wooden, and were lost about 30 feet from shore in about 7 feet of water. No trace of the wharf remains today, leaving only my Dad's memory and perhaps some rocks on the shore as a reference point.
I have some ideas in mind but I don't know how feasible they are. I considered attaching an MD coil to the end of a long metal pole (and extending the lead to reach the MD above water of course), and sweeping the lake floor from a canoe above. A GPS device and map could be used to keep track of areas already searched. If a solid hit is found, a long wooden pole could be driven in to mark the spot, and then someone with scuba equipment could be sent down to try and retrieve the target. They would of course need something to pinpoint the target with, and this is something I'm still pondering.
One other area of concern is figuring out just how much sediment may have piled on top of the coins over the last 60 years. If it's beyond the reach of an 8" MD coil, then my current plan is dead in the water. Here is the general area needed to be searched:
https://maps.google.ca/?ll=45.760008,-66.004143&spn=0.017066,0.027595&t=m&z=15
Keep in mind that this is not the exact location (I'm not sure of that myself) but it is located SOMEWHERE in this body of water, known as the Washedemoak Lake.
The coins themselves were presumably mostly copper - my grandparents had very little money so it's highly unlikely they had a container full of gold coins sitting around while their children were starving. But the thrill of finding them after 60+ years would truly be priceless, far greater than any monetary value the coins may have, and it is for this reason that I want to help my Dad finally cross this item off his bucket list while we're both still alive to enjoy it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its a long shot at best. First you need to locate the old pier. There should be some evidence of the pilings still remaining on the bottom. But to find them, you will need scuba gear.

Forget about using a metal detector from a canoe. Even in calm water the bobbing of the boat will make it impossible to keep the coil the correct distance from the bottom. Again, you will need scuba gear and an underwater PI metal detector.

Once you are on the bottom, stirred up silt will reduce the visibility to zero. You will need a stake with a long knotted rope tied to it. The knots should be about a foot apart. Drive the stake into the bottom and hold onto the first knot and search in a circle by swinging around the stake on the rope. Then move out to the next knot and repeat the process. The concentric circles should overlap so you don't miss any targets. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread