Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Don't do it because it's dark. 8)

I have no good advise.

I do however understand your vigor and resolve to make it happen... I used to fish at night all the time. ;)

I imagine rule #1 is be aware of your surroundings and be with someone else... depending on where you hunt you may more easily become a target for the "night crowd"... lol... whoever that is. If your in the middle of your own wheat field in Wyoming things may be safer.

G

garbage digger

I also work swing shift and for the longest time I had thought about night hunting, but figured it would be to much of a pain, but a while back I gave it a try and loved it. I carry one of those small key chain style LED lights that is actually quite bright and obviously easy to carry. Wear head phones as to not disturb anyone that might be around and try to hunt locations that have nearby lights so you can at least make out where you're walking or a full moon is nice to. I find it to be quite peaceful. Also you may not want to night hunt in a place known for creepy people. With the headphones you could can't hear much and could become an easy target. Other than the obvious I just hunt the night like I would the day. Listen for those great targets, pinpoint and click on the flashlight to dig. Good luck to ya ;)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
The DFX has a backlight! So that is just one of the awesome features it has! I have a rechargable flashlight I use from work so yes night detecting in for this year!

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Not to night hunt so much sd that it gets dark and I don't stop.

I do have a headlamp that I carry along in the vehicle.

Burt

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most local parks close at sunset and stay so until dawn.

Wandering around on statelands with a spotlight or headlight will get Mr. Game Warden on you faster than flies on . . .

And speaking of which. I can just picture myself setting my detector in a pile of someone's unpoliced doggie leavings in the dark.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Most local parks close at sunset and stay so until dawn.

Wandering around on statelands with a spotlight or headlight will get Mr. Game Warden on you faster than flies on . . .

And speaking of which. I can just picture myself setting my detector in a pile of someone's unpoliced doggie leavings in the dark.

Sorry to hear your parks close at sun set. >:( Our parks stay open to 11pm! :) We have to have somewhere for the gang bangers and degenerates to hang out!

T

treasurejack

I love to MD on moon lit nights! I don't even use my small headlamp until I've located a target.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i work night when i get home it still dark out
go out for 2-3 hours depending
i wear a b ball hat with a LED light clipped on it and swing as usual just keep an eye open
skunks etc
police here give me no hassle at ALL they see me all the time
they are more worried about doing a real job
not busting my chops
beside imagine the copper getting laughed out of the station"great collar"
guy metal detecting :D
besides i am a extra pair of eyes if they were so inclined to ask ;)
they aren't stupid nothing like pissing off the local's

N

nightshift

night detecting is awesome...get yourself a PETZL TAKTICA head torch,this will enable you to switch between white and red filter light,....using red light will not destroy your night vision...using a head torch gives you the benefit of having both hands to dig up all that gold.....night detecting can get a bit spooky and if your anything like me you will be imagining all sorts are waiting for you in the dark.....JUST DO IT ...ITS SO COOL

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i only night detect when i am on vacation at the beach. its cooler, the beach is less crowded, and you are less visable to the gawkers and idiots. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread