Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. We've been lurkers for a few weeks but got a new Ace 250 a week or so ago. We haven't had a lot of time to get out and play but Spring Break is next week. ;D

We have been practicing around our yard and property though. We seem to have trouble pinpointing at times. We get a strong signal, dig and find nothing, then the pinpointed spot shifts 3 inches from the original spot. Any suggestions? We did watch the DVD and read all the instruction books that came with it.

I don't feel we're ready for the local park until we can get our holes down to a size Mr. Garrett would be proud of. LOL The kids did find a Canadian dime in the side yard on their own.

TIA for any help!

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
Hello Michiganne, glad to have you on TN. I share your concern about learning to dig the smallest hole possible. I have been covering my yard for about three weeks now trying to learn to pinpoint. I have also encountered the same problem you have, the signal does seem to move after a hole is dug, but not every time. I feel sure someone will enlighten us so I'll be watching this thread as well. HH

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the ace...I have had mine since Jan and at first had the same problem..When you go to the pinpoint mode, you are now in the all metal mode. Sometimes..when you move off of the target to pinpoint, you might be hitting another target or junk next to the original target. This happens a lot in trashy spots. If it is clean..you should move your detector to the right or left of the signal...then hit the pinpoint and go back over the spot. My "sweetspot" is right near the shaft, where the little dug out spot is in the middle of the coil at the shaft. I hit it almost everytime right on the nose now. I also invested in a pinpointer...It will save a lot of time and energy when looking for that elusive coin...darn it is amazing how much they look like dirt clods. It will take you a little time but you will learn the way your machine acts. Best of luck and I know you will love the Ace 250. HH
Randy

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I am still working on the pinpointing too. However, I have found that elem schools have been the perfect spot to practice. The woods chips are very easy to dig in so I do not feel bad about a larger hole - just push all the chips back and your done.

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Pinpointing with the ace can be difficult but I am starting to master it. What I do is when I hit a solid signal I make sure there is no trash in the same area and push the pinpoint mode. If the target is in the inner ring of my detector, the pinpointer will max out and say I am right on top of it. My sweet spot on my ace is the tip of the inner ring. I run my ace forward and backward on the target, and when the ace just starts to max at the tip of the inner ring, that is where my target is. This method has gotten me to dig alot smaller holes and plugs. I have it down to where the target is usually brought up in the plug if it is shallow. The key is testing it and knowing what your detector is telling you and as brought up before, woodchips and pea gravel playgrounds are where I learned my ace. Also the main key in pinpointing with the ace is finding the sweetspot. Just my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread