How do you keep the car clean?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haul a good bit of gear, most of which is related to metal detecting.

My car is just a VW GTI, so a small hatchback.

I get sand everywhere, even though I try to rinse everything good and have a small hand broom I brush things off with. I don't have a rubberized mat in back, and because sand scoops and MD's are long, I fold down a small compartment in my rear seat that lets these items poke through.

I have thought about getting a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which seems like it would be more fitting to the things I do. I like the soft top, but I worry about the security of it.

do you all haul air compressors, water sprayers or have any other tips for how you keep your car from getting a mess?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck it takes Me a Long time to Get The Sand Off Red! :occasion14: I Don't worry about The Truck

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
WeatherTech Mats in the rear of the Suburban do the trick for me.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You live with it or buy what you suggest. I drive a 2001 Silverado with more dents than smooth spaces. It's my old ranch truck that has hit hogs, boulders, gates that didn't swing open, crossed creeks, canyons and always been outside. That way you just don't care. You are going to put some wear and tear on any vehicle you go exploring in and the older it gets, the more you just won't care about sand or other stuff. Let me tell you what you better worry about. My sister and I are in our 60's and she has had 3 skin cancers removed, me, my first one. Dr.'s both said they are from overexposure to the sun growing up. We were always outside and always burned. Now you can forget about sand in the car. I've given you something new to worry about in your new jeep...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Let me tell you what you better worry about. My sister and I are in our 60's and she has had 3 skin cancers removed, me, my first one. Dr.'s both said they are from overexposure to the sun growing up. We were always outside and always burned. Now you can forget about sand in the car. I've given you something new to worry about in your new jeep...
Long sleeve polyester SPF 30 shirts are a part of all my beach hunts. Better safe...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drive an "entry level" car (Chevy Cobalt). I can put the back seats down and the passenger seat down and carry 23 2" x 4" x 8''s. I NEVER CLEAN THIS CAR!!!! But I do maintenance it properly. But I did do this on purpose for this purpose. I do own a 3/4 ton Chevy truck with an 8' bed also. So since I do a lot of woodwork and use my car as a "truck" this probably does not apply. But it sure is a LOT CHEAPER than the truck. I'm sure I'm missing the point of keeping a vehicle's value up. But I'm driving this until the doors fall off. This includes all the MD crap that falls off also.

But.... I do vacuum the damn thing out with a shop vac about every 6 months.... but since 2010 I've NEVER washed it once.... ok my bad. The vehicle looks and runs GREAT to date.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haul a good bit of gear, most of which is related to metal detecting.

My car is just a VW GTI, so a small hatchback.

I get sand everywhere, even though I try to rinse everything good and have a small hand broom I brush things off with. I don't have a rubberized mat in back, and because sand scoops and MD's are long, I fold down a small compartment in my rear seat that lets these items poke through.

I have thought about getting a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which seems like it would be more fitting to the things I do. I like the soft top, but I worry about the security of it.

do you all haul air compressors, water sprayers or have any other tips for how you keep your car from getting a mess?
1. Empty out all your crap
2. Clean out the back.
3. Lay an old blanket, curtain, tablecloth, etc. in the back, BEFORE loading the gear back in.
4. Periodically, repeat step one, then remove the cloth and shake it clean.
5. Replace and repeat.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a small hatchback and use a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet as a liner. I carry a small square basin and a jug of water in the trunk, which I use to rinse off my coil, my feet and my finds before I throw everything back in. As long as I rinse everything off, and never, ever toss my detecting stuff in the back seat, the car stays pretty clean.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont know cause i am a dirty white boy. As the song goes .:occasion14:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Careful with the key ring dude...

Got it.... I worked for GM for 31 years with the last 4 years in management and engineering and know all too well their problems. My steering wheel and ignition "locked up" yesterday morning in my driveway. Took me about 15 minutes to "unlock" and start. I'm on it.... THANKS.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what clad quarters are for......car wash and vacuum station!

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Dodge Magnum and have plenty of room. I just use an old quilt and shake it out every once in a while. Works for me.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt does not bother me, I play in it all the time. I'll clean it when I get to it, if they don't like it they can walk! Just me!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MBB.... We have GOT to meet and MD sometime. We'd probably never get much serious MDing done because we'd be laughing our butts off to much. Grab the Mr. and plan a road trip to Tennessee. We'll look for the lost golden horseshoe together if Frank didn't find it. Now that I think of it.... Haven't heard from him much lately (I think maybe he did find it).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread