Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever taken your valuable free time to try to introduce a new hunter to md'ing?I have,and I'm one in four now.Took a guy who has been showing alot of interest for the last couple of months out today for a couple hours.

I pick him up...provide an f2,pro pointer,digger,bag...the whole deal.I leave my stuff in the truck and focus on a little pre training for him.he is now claiming he is ready so I get my gear and off we go.Not 5 mins in I dont hear the f2 anymore.dont see him in the woods and he doesnt answer his cell phone.

an hour later he walks out of the woods to the truck complaining about the heat,bugs,rocks,bottle tops,world cup and obama.I ask where is my pro pointer and he has no idea...he's not sure where he went.I get pissed and he tells me its my fault for dragging him out there to do something that sucks.

At least he did some work for me and I can deduct the pro pointer from his pay...if I find it I'll give that money back.Then he has the nerve to declare I should by the beer because I whinned about a stupid little pin pointer.

at least for now I'm done helpin out the uninitiated...at least untill I get my stuff replaced...and heck no....he aint workin for me again.

I'll get over it...I did buy the beer...then told him he could trade for one with a pro pointer!!!lol

oh well

cheers

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, how did you keep a level head on your shoulders. Guess thats why I prefer to hunt by myself. I have one friend that I hunt with every once in a while. If he doesn't find something in short order, hes ready to go. No patience. If I find something in an hour and its a good one, I'm happy.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Feel better now??? I would have been pissed also buddy. And to blame you for bringing him out was insult to injury also. If I lost your pinpointer I'd tear that woods up trying to find it and if I failed I'd get you a new one.... AND buy the beer as interest!!!!!!! Sorry to hear about this "failed" venture.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
A lesson learned …..And the same with me i would say 96% of the time i hunt by myself ..Could be 99% …. There are times i have someone with me that is when i look for Cache .. But when metal detecting it is for the most part by myself..

OP
OP
bigfoot1

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say....the best huntin partner I ever had is my wife.I know what some of y'all thinkin....but she has never read this site.she is tough,skilled and tenacious....I am a lucky yeti.

a side note...that loser called me today and left a voicemail.....apparently I'm quite a d***.he wouldnt work for me if I begged.The fact that I am holding back 130.00 in pay untill the pin pointer shows up makes me quite the jerk....lmao.

sometimes ya just gotta stand back....observe...and just crack up.A homeless fool is spankin me...ok.I'm just too buisy to care...you know eating,watchin tv,havin a beer,all the regular stuff we all work so hard for.

I'm sure obama will take it from here and take care of the loser.

all good...funny now
cheers

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only problem with the wife detecting with me and she does, is when i find something of value, she starts muttering something about "What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine,""and she grabs it up. if I am lucky, I will get to check it out more closely sometime after we get back home. today after hunting in 98 degree heat, we stopped and got soft serve ice cream... can't think of a better partner and friend to do this with. to be able to do something you love to do with your spouse is a blessing indeed.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You put to much trust in him.And like obama and all politicians he is a screw up.Al least you don't have to pay him.Like many here say i hunt alone.I don't mind answering some questions if someone is thinking about getting into the hobby.But i will take no one under my wing.From the way you desribed him he is one lowlife sob.HH

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Let me get this straight. You picked up a "homeless fool", handed him a metal detector and pinpointer, allowed him to get out of your sight, and you wonder why your pinpointer disappeared?

Who's the fool now?

I'm surprised you got your metal detector back.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I could use a extra pin pointer, when ya going out again lol. I have a few folks I hunt with. I can say the trips are magnificent. While I always do better when I am alone, its nice to have someone you trust with you.Jims T2 will get a deep signal and he will ask what it is, I'll wave the majick wand(my F75) over it and tell him what he found. Jim is a ring master, he almost always beats me to the gold. I seem to get more coins with the F75. Jim picked me up a lesche for Christmas, Im too cheap to buy one myself. I owe him big time. Unlike your arrangement it works out in some cases. When Im out treasure hunting those guys are sharp, I learn more than I ever would by myself. There is someone for you but the loss of a pinpointer is unforgivable. You gave the guy a winning combination and he failed to use it. I would love a chance to see some woods, bugs, and old trash(bottles). Your my kind of D***.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done the same thing! Try to help someone out and you just end up baby sitting
while he whines and cries about how it's everybody else's fault!
Bigfoot you tried your best and this self absorbed fool lost????? your pinpointer!
The older I get the harder it gets to trust some people!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done the same thing! Try to help someone out and you just end up baby sitting
while he whines and cries about how it's everybody else's fault!
Bigfoot you tried your best and this self absorbed fool lost????? your pinpointer!
The older I get the harder it gets to trust some people!

You ever notice how people will use the term "because" blaming YOU for what THEY did WRONG?

I take that word as them saying........ YOU be the CAUSE,no one will take responsibility for their actions.

TRUST? I know how far with people,and,it's not total, total is in HIM!

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think it would be cool to go for a hunt in the woods and find a pinpointer.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it would be cool to go for a hunt in the woods and find a pinpointer.

Give it up.... I already found it. It was lying next to an iron horseshoe. Yes I brought the horseshoe home (again)!!!!!

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave the guy a winning combination and he failed to use it. I would love a chance to see some woods, bugs, and old trash(bottles). Your my kind of D***.

Ha ha, Second this. I'd love an invitation and tutorage to MD. If I lost any of your stuff I'd grovel, weep melodramatically, not go home until I found it and if I couldn't do that I'd of course replace it, even if it was your sense of humor. In addition to the guarantee of a good lunch I also come complete with ideas for locations as well as a hint I heard from a dying (okay, he was dying from alcoholism) relative about a buried treasure. Do you think I can get anyone even remotely interested? Nooooo......

I'd probably complain about the bugs, though, so there's that.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha ha, Second this. I'd love an invitation and tutorage to MD. If I lost any of your stuff I'd grovel, weep melodramatically, not go home until I found it and if I couldn't do that I'd of course replace it, even if it was your sense of humor. In addition to the guarantee of a good lunch I also come complete with ideas for locations as well as a hint I heard from a dying (okay, he was dying from alcoholism) relative about a buried treasure. Do you think I can get anyone even remotely interested? Nooooo......

I'd probably complain about the bugs, though, so there's that.

Get your butt down here to Middle Tennessee area and I'll put you on some of the worlds rarest old iron horseshoes. I think I found one off of Davy Crockett's horse and another off of Daniel Boones old mare. I'm looking for one now off of Abe Lincoln's horse. And then there's the rarest of the rare.... "The Lost Solid Golden Horseshoe"... but this ones mine all mine!!!! After we find Lincoln's lost horseshoe let's go get that treasure of yours.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many I'm a lone hunter...for lots of reasons, your example is just one. I don't hate people just don't have a lot of time to put up with bull stuff.

What that guy did is probably what my other half would do unintentionally if I tried to teach him the hobby, been married 41 years, so we'll just leave that one alone.

Like I said Bigfoot your wife gets a gold star for being "exceptional above and beyond"!
God bless you for trying to help the guy, sometimes people want help but don't want to help themselves. Those are the ones you "can't" help.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta say I really don't see why one would try to recruit others into this hobby. Just does not make sense to enlist new competition.

On the other hand I'll talk about the hobby to those who are interested and even take them out to show them how to use their equipment. But that's the kicker~ they have their own equipment. That fact alone already demonstrates that the people I train to some degree are already competition and that they are showing a commitment to the hobby. Any training, tips or pointers occur in area's that certainly are not my hot spots nor are they area's that one's likely to lose anything at. After that its just evaluating whether I'll go out with them again as well as a good bit of quid pro quo on area's that neither of us have hunted. I consider it relationship building *lol or destroying* but no... never enlistment.

I expect you were disappointed Bigfoot. Maybe a lesson learned but hey you'll find someone fun to hunt with eventually. Luck.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this Hobby , you most times have to put in work.

It's not as easy as it is on TV .

I'm another lone Hunter. hence My nickname "Tom Cat"

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread