Precious metal testing

Asassyn

Jun 17, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so I go garage saling like every weekend and often come across "silver" and "gold" jewelry with no markings on them. They are usually .50 and 1.00 pieces. So when I bring them home I test them with a magnet. But beyond that I have no other means to test them out.

I was also curious for coins. How do u tell if they are silver and not nickel without looking every single piece up?

Any and all tips would be awesome.

I am aware that silver is usually marked 875, 925, 999. but what other ones are there?

also gold is typically 10k, 14k, 18k, 22k, 24k. So pretty easy locate those.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALL U.S. jewelry must be marked as to silver content or gold jewelry will be marked 14k, 14 GF (gold filled), 14 gp (gold plated) and so on. Silver coins should be looked up in a good coin prices book. Silver coins were made until 1964 (USA) then they became "CLAD". TTC

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver items may also be marked "sterling".

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than a silver and gold test kit. :dontknow:

On this forum it was mentioned that if you lay a thin piece of tissue over a coin the silver ones appear a lighter color thru the tissue than non silver.

Several people have found jewelry marked 14K when it wasn't.
Most gold is what it is marked, and is heavy for it's size.

OP
OP
A

Asassyn

Jun 17, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring more to foreign currency than our own. I am well aware whats silver here. sorry for the confusion.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best suggestion is to take pics of any world coins that you feel might be silver or gold and post them on the What is It forum. Someone is bound to help you out. Generally speaking, most world coins minted for circulation after about 1970 or so are not likely to contain gold or silver (there may be exceptions to that rule of thumb).

OP
OP
A

Asassyn

Jun 17, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
again too time consuming.. wish there was some kind of marker that changed colors or something..

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with your hobbies and interests I feel ya really do need to hit amazon and get a testing kit.best thing I ever did.I recomend the puritest kit.get the complete one with the acids,stone,files,diamond tester,scale and loupe.You will find that this accessory pays for itself quicker than most things in this hobby.
Paint store has lead test pens....pharmacy has nickle testing....then you are set.

almost forgot to mention...take your kit with you in the truck....when I hit old footings I test all the heavy slag.Fire is the reason many homes were lost a houses burn hot.silverware etc ends up a big ol pile of slag.I have litterally sold several pounds because I had a kit with me...positive result...bammmmm...I'm a slag diggin machine till its all mine.:headbang:

bout$50.00 u.s. ish

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Asassyn

Jun 17, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will definately look into these kits. but cant just go testing in the field. looking for more of a "home remedy" type of thing thats fast and easy to do while at the sales.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will definately look into these kits. but cant just go testing in the field. looking for more of a "home remedy" type of thing thats fast and easy to do while at the sales.
The acid test can be done in the field. Just discreetly mark the stone and test..... You can always mark the stone then step away for a few secs while you test it with acid if you don't want to test in front of sellers..

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if you're lucky enough to find gold jewelry of any purity mark, followed by a "P", be thankful. The "P" means plumb, (exact), not plated.
Good luck.
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread