This Hobby and looking at the familiar with new eyes.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might sound crazy, But. Since I started this hobby I am always looking at places I have traveled all my life in a different way. As I ride down the road I am looking at this house and that field and thinking, Wow would I love to detect that! Even on a trip I am looking at the little old towns and thinking about detecting. Am I the only one who does this?
I am obsessed. He He

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happens to me all the time. Always find myself sizing up old properties as potential sites. I think that is natural if you are serious about this hobby. I don't know about you, but I want to be that guy that you see in the videos pulling out the cache, finding the old relic, or big honking ring. Not so much to get rich, but to feel the thrill of bagging the big one. To know that my patience and hard work has paid off. May never happen. It is sure fun to know that it could.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Even my wife is starting to look at the possibilities of finds in a different way since I started detecting!
We seem to find more stuff just walking along or gardening! Just yesterday we were planting
a new succulent garden and my Wife comes in all excited and showed me an ancient Dog Tax Tag! It was a very cool find!
Since I started detecting I look at history and the environment around me with an awareness I didn't have before!

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, I am amazed at what is in the ground. And when I find something, I think about who must have lost it. Also how upset they must have been. People did not have a lot of money then and losing a quarter or a fifty cent piece must have been very upsetting. Also to think that something was in the ground for so many years and I am the first to see it since it was lost. I feel the same way when I hunt Indian relics. I try to picture who made it and what they were thinking. I could go on and on. It is a great hobby. I just wish people did not look on us so negatively. Asking for permission is very hard for me.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is interesting how many places never caught our attention before and why they do now.Early spring this year a guy was detecting a place by the road that took more than a second look for me to spot sign of an old foundation on a road I have hit one old place and eye another that's a spring only site and travel regular. It's a different perspective for sure. H.H..

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are most certainly NOT ALONE in this line of thinking JerseyGirl... Just normal MD thinking.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I now look back at all the many colonial home sights(stone foundations) I came across while hunting in the woods and wish I had come a cross this hobby earlier. I believe I can still find a couple of them however. Just not enough hours I a day lately.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might sound crazy, But. Since I started this hobby I am always looking at places I have traveled all my life in a different way. As I ride down the road I am looking at this house and that field and thinking, Wow would I love to detect that! Even on a trip I am looking at the little old towns and thinking about detecting. Am I the only one who does this?
I am obsessed. He He

I go to the bathroom and I wonder if the previous owner might have lost their ring in the toilet. I'm very near installing a new toilet just so I can check the trap in the old one. :laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go to the bathroom and I wonder if the previous owner might have lost their ring in the toilet. I'm very near installing a new toilet just so I can check the trap in the old one. :laughing7:

Damn guy.... you got the "bug" real bad. You need to get out more... a lot more!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I too wonder what dilemma occurred when a silver dollar or half dollar was lost, that was a tremendous amount of money in its day. I guess we (as metal detectorists) all begin to look at out surroundings differently as we travel, wondering, wishing, pondering on the what if? The whole aspect of the unknown when it comes to what's hidden in the ground, boggles the mind when you think of the countless possibilities. treasure or trash? what kind? and it is forever hidden unless it is found by someone, by chance or by detecting. really cool!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your definitely not the only one. do it all the time,some places I see actually make me kind of sick knowing I will never be able to hunt them.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of us probably need chauffeurs! I'm always "on the look out " while driving....shhhh, don't tell my car ins co.!
You even drive by vacant lots and wonder what was there and when. While everybody is looking at the scenery I'm looking to see how many chimneys the big house on the corner has!

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely I look at places differently…….there is much you can observe that provides insight into the past…………
A couple days ago driving to Pa from my place in SW rural NY, I spotted a large cemetery but with only a few houses………my friend told me there used to be a town there although he was not sure of what happened to it……..a great place to return sometime soon……
Foundations of all type also speak to us of the past….
Even flowers and plants growing in the wilderness suggest long forgotten human settlements……
Walking in the woods, we find evidence of old roads, complete with wagon tracks……..
Much out there waiting to be discovered………
Vaya con Dios

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's fair to say that every one of us is now looking at our world through the lens of a treasure hunter - I too have to be careful
when I'm driving through unfamiliar areas !

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yes. I seem to find schools I never knew were there. I can spot the sign from far away. And then there is the soccer fields so many I feel overwhelmed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread