Metal Detecting Information!!!!!!

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come to the conclusion...That asking for or looking at all the programs and sittings for metal detectors is really a waste of time...read the manual over and over and keep going back to it, and go with the preset programs...as you get used to the sittings and what they do, start making small changes from there....I have ask and I have read and tried a lot of programs and sittings and none of it is much good if you don't understand your machine...if you use some one else's programs or sittings its still going to confuse you.......preset modes and small changes, tell you find what's working for you....every time I go out I try something different and find myself going back to the preset and making adjustments from there...and most of the time its always something in the sensitivity and threshold sittings and sometimes the discrimination depending on how much junk I want to dig or hear....

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh, that was insightful. :coffee2:

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seems the only question I can ask is..... What?

Apparently, you're going through the same things the rest of us have gone through. Which proves, I believe, that achieving familiarity with one specific detector is a paramount exercise.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guess what....welcome aboard...treasure does not find itself...STOP READING anything about you machine.set it as you see fit and frigging go hunting....200 hrs from now talk to us again my friend

cheers

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be successful, you will need to find what works for you. My son has just started the hobby with me and he is eager to learn. I watch and then show him the error in his ways and he follows what I say. I have taken his beep and dig machine and proven to him it is the operator that makes the finds. Most machines will find most of the stuff. I also am still learning and enjoy the advice I get on here by its members. I had to start somewhere too. Will I see your detectors for sale soon too?

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH no you wont see any of my detectors for sale anytime soon...god welling...I guess we have a bunch of people on here that don't have time for so called newbies...someday I guess I can sit on top of the hill and tell people when you learn your detector come back and talk to us...I was hoping by joining this forum I could get ahead of the learning curve on some of these machines...sorry that I might have posted something that didn't sit well because I am a newbie, but maybe some other newbie might not have to ask the questions I did on here and be told to learn your machine...Hell I have my swingy thingy and Andy Sabisch book...I am good to go....:)....I guess there is no secret to these machines...dig dirt tell you had enough and then dig some more and someday you can talk about it....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remove all presets, masks, notches and discrimination and listen to what is in the soil. Detectors don't know doo from Shinola. They can only try and interpret changes in conductivity and the better interpret surface eddy currents on a metallic object. The more you rely on them to do the weaker your your skills become. It is only when you find conditions where you have a specific problem that you should try and narrow the input. And then you also necessarly remove some good targets along with the trash.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is a one on one with your detector and no two people using the same detector will detect the same way, we are all individuals, so you are right!
The machine interprets what is in the ground and you interpret what the machine is telling you.
I've had my M6 going on 4 years, I still don't know this machine fully, I am learning. Some of that has to do with my limited amount of detecting time, and the rest is settings, soil, targets in the ground, battery strength, etc. a lot of variables go in the mix. I, like you have to work it out on my own to really get to know what the M6 is telling me.

Here is what I do when I am trying to find out more info about a target. I keep changing the settings and going back over the same target and compare the differences or lack there of, then I dig it up and see what it actually is. There is a lot to compare on this machine, Target ID, sounds, VID#'s, & bars- (how confident the machine is about the target). One thing I am pretty sure about now is if the VID# is above 20 and it's saying nickel, more likely it's a pull tab. Depending on what else is in the ground with the target.
Sometimes it's intuition. Patience and persistence are the keys to treasure.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
As in the post above,#8, I think it is Between the detector and you but my learning method varries. You must understand it and become 1.
When I got my XLT I got the tuning manual that was available that explained EVERY setting in the detector and believe me ,the XLT is the most adjustable detector I have seen. I went thru a learning curve where I tried variations of almost every adjustment. It has paid off. I now just turn it on, balance, and pick a program. This allows me to do what I like best, swing and dig. It's best to pay your dues up front.
Now my 2 Box drove me crazy the first time out. Hay there are only 2 on/off switches, A sensitivy knob, and the killer, a manual adjustment to set the null point between the coils. I took the bull by the horns that first time out and figured out what was going on and it is now a piece of cake to use.
So what am I saying? Don't even think of detecting until you have that detector figured out. If you learn as you go, you will also forget as you go.
Hay, just my experience, Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perfect advice for finding a wife! Forget what everyone else says and just go with the one that works for you! WOO HOO! :occasion18:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And this is why I love my whites m6!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am still trying to find the detector that I can love. Maybe the F5 will be it.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH no you wont see any of my detectors for sale anytime soon...god welling...I guess we have a bunch of people on here that don't have time for so called newbies...someday I guess I can sit on top of the hill and tell people when you learn your detector come back and talk to us...I was hoping by joining this forum I could get ahead of the learning curve on some of these machines...sorry that I might have posted something that didn't sit well because I am a newbie, but maybe some other newbie might not have to ask the questions I did on here and be told to learn your machine...Hell I have my swingy thingy and Andy Sabisch book...I am good to go....:)....I guess there is no secret to these machines...dig dirt tell you had enough and then dig some more and someday you can talk about it....

For some of us on here there were no forums or internets to search for advice or talk to fellow hunters when we first started detecting. Hell, there was not even a book one could read. We had basic machines and we learned to use them through many hours in the feild. We were forced to "become one with our machine". When it broke down...and they did, we then had to become familier with electronics to perform our own repairs. Time goes on and progress brings us to where we are now, the information age where we can instantly push a button and get someones opinion or answer to a question/querie we have. There is a wealth of knowledge and information on this site from experienced detectorists and newbies alike, and it is great that we have these forums to be able to share it. However you cannot substitute that for practical in the feild experience with your own machines. What works for one person, might not work for another. Whenever I buy a new machine, I read through the manual once to acquire knowledge on it's basic operation. Then it is out to the feild to determine what settings etc... work for me. Only time spent with the machine will tell you what works for you.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that is what I said in my original post on here Madforclad ....I guess I really didn't need to say that with all old timers on here already knowing that....

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jhen999, not being mean but they are called settings. Not sittings.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
jhen999, not being mean but they are called settings. Not sittings.

Thanks mikeraydj, I thought it was just me. I kept reading the replies and nobody was saying anything and all I could think was, this is like the hairy mole that's on the pretty woman's face that everyone tries to ignore. Just joking with ya jhen999, we all know what you meant.:thumbsup:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is a deal I'll huck out there.yesterday I was swinging my ol trusty gtax 1250...love that ol tank.the connection plug on the ol eliptical coil is screwball but me and my bud are pretty far out in the woods and I didnt have my DD with me to swap out(I know I know)and my back up machine is all cozy at home...doh!!!

back to the ride I go..pissed and realize my daughters bounty hunter jr.is there.what the heck say I.
That little 50 buck machine was all over it.Sure it sees everything but the discrim worked well enough to get rid of iron and keep nickles.(I tested it)after a while I was actually hearing differances and actually hunting this ol mine camp.

I got a chinese coin and the handle off a silver spoon that actually says baby.

lesson learned..the old timers were dam efficient with their early machines,its what they had and they made it work.

That little bounty hunter jr.is like a moped tho...fun to ride but you dont want yer friends to see ya ride one.

cheers

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys about my spelling...I guess I should have went to school for something other than sports...my bad...

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of missed spelled words and missed used words on post on this web site...I was just wondering..I know you know what was mint as I do when I see it .but do people troll these post looking for miss spelled words or missed used, just so they can point them out, so you can make someone feel uncomfortable about ever posting anything..because you might have missed spelled a word or didn't dot your I,s or cross your t,s......I have seen this happen more than a few times on here....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When I right click the list has spell check and I checked it. It now underlines words that are misspelled. When I right click on that word, It gives me a list of spelling to select.
I don't know if this is from this site, Foxfire, or Microsoft. Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread