Ever feel youre doing wrong metal detecting?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever feel you're doing wrong metal detecting?

Occasionally I do.
I'm to the point of avoiding parks, schools, inland beaches, you know.
I only detect sidelines of ball fields, dig near perfect "plugs", and use a drop cloth. Yet, I'm the most scrutinized?
I'm usually polite, ;), and enjoy discussing detecting with others.
Any thoughts..?
Peace

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
TDI PRO, VX3, Surfmaster PI PRO, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a trick of the mind. I "pretend" I don't exist, other than the my purpose of the hunt. Usually most people will also "pretend" you don't exist until the curious ones approach you. I then smile and tell them I am getting exercise by looking for loose change. Happy Hunting!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could go early in the am as there will only be a few folks out doing their own thing. Only time I got uncomfortable was this very pretty gal doing yoga. Her outfit left nothing to the imagination. She was watching me watching her. She won the staring contest lol. Had to go, just couldn't stay. (Almost turned on the go pro)

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Grow a pair. If its private property, get permission. If its public property, it belongs to you as much as anyone else.

Last edited:

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just imagine myself as Cartman and I'm detecting in South Park....nuff said.....

T

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Occasionally I do.
I'm to the point of avoiding parks, schools, inland beaches, you know.
I only detect sidelines of ball fields, dig near perfect "plugs", and use a drop cloth. Yet, I'm the most scrutinized?
I'm usually polite, ;), and enjoy discussing detecting with others.
Any thoughts..?
Peace

Hey cincinnatikid, do you know why we all probably have those feelings at times (especially in turfed parks) ? Is because ..... let's face it:

a) we're an oddity. You know, the thought in some lookie-lou's minds: "ooh look at the man with the geiger-counter ! I wonder if he's found anything ??" or....

b) there's ... uh .... "connotations" that our hobby has: That you might be about to leave a mess, a hole, or whatever. Even though you and I know FULL WELL that we'll leave no trace. But to the lookie-lou watching .... they won't know that.

c) that you might be about to "take" or "remove" something that belongs to someone else (the entity on who's park you found it, or the poor soul who lost their ring, etc...)

d) that you might be about to harm the "cultural heritage" (although probably only a handful of purist archies that think this ramification).

So when it comes to turfed lawns, or any place where someone's imagination may run wild with any of the above: I do as casca says: Pick low traffic times. I mean, it's gotten to the point where I do a lot of hunting (turfed parks anyhow), at night. So peaceful. So serene :) No about his running into scantily clad women at those hours ? No, I haven't been so lucky :icon_scratch:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As for what boatlode says ("grow a pair"), yes: you have to have a tough skin sometimes in this hobby. You might have to know/learn how to give lip-service, etc.. Because if you're waiting for the day that red-carpets get rolled out, and neon signs appear telling you "metal detecting welcome here", then perhaps you're in the wrong hobby.:hello:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If anybody says anything to you, tell them you're working for the government removing unexploded ordnance. Works for me everytime - they leave me alone after that.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If loving you is wrong I don't wanna be right. In one word....no.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to worry about such things ,( sometimes still do ).
But
Now my Motto is" Just Do It"

Davers

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I used to feel that way, I don't now. Now I just don't want "them" bothering me cutting into my detecting time!

We have all lost things that other people find, do they feel bad for us, no! They pocket that quicker than we do with a smile in their faces, & feeling lucky!

I have just as much right to be in a "public" place as the next person, my tax money goes to maintain part of it! In fact I actually am doing free community service cleaning out sharp, rusty, sometimes dangerous metal trash I also pick up glass! Unlike the majority of people using the park AND THROWING THE TRASH THERE!

And what is this I "might" damage the lawn digging holes! Have they ever seen the lawn after any sports game especially if they are wearing cleats? A squirrel digs a bigger hole than I do, and I fill mine, squirrel doesn't!
I take pride in my recovery technic, when I'm done you can look back over the "lawn" and you can't tell where I've been.

Maybe I'm just older and don't give a hoot of other's opinion of me and what I'm doing, or maybe Boatlode's right and I grew a pair, amazing considering...

Your not breaking any laws, your not threading anyone, your not stealing anything, like me you are just out there enjoying the fresh air getting some exercise while pursuing your hobby. MD'ing IS my pursuit of happiness!
So if you think about it the public is actually interfering or denying me my Constitutional Right! I won't be counting on the backing of the ACLU on that one either.

Hope this helps you to get over the public's scrutiny and fear of you.
Your a good person and the only opinion of you that should count is yours!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope I,m just out detecting. It is something I do that does not harm others or interfere with them doing what they do. Over the years there was only one mouth remembered and because I had headphones on I had to be told what she said. I looked for her as an answer was at hand but could not find her.
Maybe I,m relaxed as few people seem to pay much attention to me for long except sometimes youths who are welcome to be polite and learn what is going on.If not they risk mumbly peg with the Lesch at recovery time and the resulting verbal warning will result in them leaving or being more patient/polite. Police if watching from a distance get a brief wave and I resume detecting. Folks close get a smile. Workers get a hello if they approach and I have not received a negative from any.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When some see a detector being used for legit reasons like exploration or science they see the value. When they see a guy digging up a park many see a scrounge. Someone capitalizing off someone's loss.
I never could understand why someone will spend $$ for a high dollar detector and go looking for some ones lost change. I also don't care if they do it's just a matter of understanding.
It's not about your personal reasons for detecting. In this case, it's others perception of it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I never feel like I'm doing something wrong! Sometimes though, I might get a little uncomfortable if someone's staring at me without any sign of communication. Like if I look up and wave and there's no response!
Other than an occasional but rare instance like above I find most people are genuinely interested in the hobby! This is usually at the beach where people act like they are on vacation and are generally nicer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread