Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't want to say it, but I see airscapes said it. How much do you like md'ing boatload? Because as is the fashion of ALL "cute" things when you're dating someone, trust me: they don't get better later in life (if you married her), they get worse. So too did my wife, back when we were just dating, roll her eyes at the notion of detecting. I blew it off and didn't care. Thought it was cute, and figured she'd get into it later, etc... But here we are, 15+ yrs. later, and it's like pulling teeth to get to go out and detect. I mean, sure, she can't "stop me", but .... there's the perpetual notion on her part that other things (housework, social plans, career, etc...) are more important. And that md'ing is a waste of time, etc.... Not that those things stop me, but .... as much as I love md'ing, it's as if I have to "sneak" or "earn", etc... time to do it. And that bites. So ask yourself how much you like md'ing. There's lots of women in this world, and when or if you get married, you gotta pick carefully.
Sounds exactly like what I have to go through to detect! This is my second rodeo and there WILL NOT be a third one! At least not with a ring and a ceremony! As a matter of fact this morning during a tif she said "all you do around the house is mow grass and hunt metal! " Lol. I need a guys only weekend marathon hunting trip!

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
But she likes to go to the beach and read. So sometimes we go together, and I just leave her with her book and I go on my merry way with my MD. The worst part is when I go back to pick her up with nothing to show but rusty nails, sinkers, and fish hooks, and maybe some change. She just looks at it and says "That's nice" (kind of snarky). So I stole an idea from someone here (who will remain anonymous) who made a post awhile back showing a Spanish eight reale he claimed to have found on the beach. I stopped by the McLarty Museum and bought a couple fake Spanish two escudo gold coins. Next time she asks to see what I found, I'm gonna drop those two dudes in her lap. That'll fix her good.
lol

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Buy a cheap fake engagement ring her size with the biggest fake diamond you can find. She will be on cloud nine when you hand it to her. Than take the ring back and toss it into the ocean. Don't say anything. Put on your headphones and go back to detecting.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ex gf hated metal detecting.Her statement was if you dropped Mding you could spend more time with me.I used to take her out to eat to movies and go to arts and crafts fairs with her.So i made the statement that maybe if i dropped you i could spend more time MDing.Thats why she is my ex.The next one will have to like my hobbies or its no use to me to start dating her.I just don't feel i need anybodies permission to go MDing if you want to come along fine if not iam still going.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife used to think MD was a waste of time also. But when I started bring home the gold and silver rings she never says anything about me going again. When we go on a trip she will ask me if I got my detecting stuff around and packed. So hope it gets better for you find those gold rings and she will not say a thing about you going again.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I am very grateful for my gf. If I stay home all day on my days off and don't go detecting, she always asks why. She knows doing things that make us happy will also make us happy when we are not doing them. She has her likes and I have mine. I don't belittle what she likes and she is the same. As they say " Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Time spent away from each other can sometimes be a big plus.
Same here! Just yesterday my wife mentioned she hadn't seen me go to the beach for awhile, so she suggested I go!
I love my wife! She is always supportive of my interests!

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always ask CoilyGirl for a date! But wait! She's no doubt married. Too bad.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I started giving my wife the diamond rings she stopped complaining.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably have to ask her husband first......
Yeah its a no go on the dating,there is that pesky vows thing ya know! I a really glad we both like to detect,we raised two sons and are now able to just go when we want to.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My, not so new, gf thought the same early on. Now she sports some of the "dug" goods and doesn't say a peep. ;)
Peace

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you know what DeBeers says:

DIAMONDS - THAT'LL SHUT HER UP!

or was that Ron White? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The worst part is when I go back to pick her up with nothing to show but rusty nails, sinkers, and fish hooks, and maybe some change. She just looks at it and says "That's nice" (kind of snarky).

So your GF thinks metal detecting is silly ..
!!!!.. Well most people out there think metal detecting is silly …. Or think we are funny in the head they way they look at us at times..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But you know sometimes when you both have different things you enjoy to do .. And you do your thing and she does her's .. You might get along much better…I never tried to make my wife and kids enjoy metal detecting .. If they wanted to try it ok if not ok …And they really never cared for it … So i hunt alone and enjoy my time by my self it never hurt our married life …She does not try to make me like what she likes and i never tried to make her or my kids like what i like … And after 54 years of marriage we still get along fine ……………..

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here! Just yesterday my wife mentioned she hadn't seen me go to the beach for awhile, so she suggested I go!
I love my wife! She is always supportive of my interests!

or has a date with her boyfriend

HoosierDiggin'

Jun 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm thinking. What happens if you actually find Spanish gold for REAL. Lol.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......