Need a really strong Hori Hori, any reccomendations?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a little surprised at your Wilcox digger, because I have one I'm using now, it has an orange handle and I have literally stepped on the orange handle to pry a targets up with, it is 1/8 thick hard steel It hasn't bent yet, had it for years! It is V shaped and I wanted something more knife shaped, can't carry an actual knife, I would get arrested.
So I'll probably be getting the Leonard soil knife.

Post a pick when you get your new digging tool.
The tip of my Wilcox digger bent so i never got another Wilcox and have not used the bent one now for years….. DSCN0713.JPG

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I may have just got a bad one then, i suppose not all steel treatments will come out perfect. An i certainly will post pics of this new one coming in and put it through the ringer see how it holds up.
I must have got a bad one also.. …….. So there is more than one bad one out there..

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay away from stainless steel diggers.stainless steel may be rustproof and hard but,being hard makes stainless brittle.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I maybe wrong on the name of the digging tool I have, it says " Dalyn Enterprises, Bradshaw, NE. 68319 ".
This is it, it was a present so I didn't pick it out

image.jpg

So is this a Wilcox?

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I maybe wrong on the name of the digging tool I have, it says " Dalyn Enterprises, Bradshaw, NE. 68319 ".

So is this a Wilcox?

Im not real sure about that one, looks similar to mine but mine has wilcox stamped into the digger part of it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yes it is i use one of those AM Leonard's

Yep, it's the best. Professional quality at a reasonable price.
Been using one for over 15 years. Even the leather case,
which was extra, still looks like new.
They also have the best shovels. Been using there all steel D handle
for app. 15 years also. I think they have a lifetime warrenty which
you really don't need because of the high quality. Frank...-

PS: Hay, order by 4 and they will ship it the same day!
PPS: Actually they do carry the Hori Hori digger also, It has a wood handle with no shank guard.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

View attachment 1022744

So is this a Wilcox?

It looks like my Wilcox, but there were a lot of knockoffs in those days.
The Wilcox came in several lengths also. Frank...-

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Yep, it's the best. Professional quality at a reasonable price.
Been using one for over 15 years. Even the leather case,
which was extra, still looks like new.
They also have the best shovels. Been using there all steel D handle
for app. 15 years also. I think they have a lifetime warrenty which
you really don't need because of the high quality. Frank...-

PS: Hay, order by 4 and they will ship it the same day!
PPS: Actually they do carry the Hori Hori digger also, It has a wood handle with no shank guard.
.Yes it is best to get the sheath with it for they are sharp… And the saw teeth on them will cut through any root like it was hot butter...

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok it came in the mail wow that was quick, 3 days time! here are the pics:
10359331_739499492772865_8718192837619719217_n.jpg 10408564_739499899439491_5621260705195323773_n.jpg 10557419_739499772772837_5416032380177702408_n.jpg 10489639_739499649439516_7689439880601134228_n.jpg

It appears to be at lease a quarter inch thick, does have a slight concave in center. I wish it was full tang and the handle will certainly be its weakest link so far. I would not recommend any holding the handle by the very end to pry up dirt. With the half tang however it wont be any problem to weld a solid steel handle on it if needed. The blade itself is hefty as can be, near a pound i am guessing. It is indeed semi sharp and the saw side is good and catchy, shouldn't have any trouble with roots. The scabbard/sheath is cheap but i wont be needing it as i use a utility belt.

I will update in the field results of a outing later when it cools off and i head out.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First impression field test are fantastic. Cuts into and digs out hard dirt like it is nothing compared to previous tool. There is no give whatsoever, no bending which was big for me as bending caused me to be at a dig longer. Getting to the target is much faster with this. Soft dirt is warm butter, was at a 6 inch target in like a minute easily.

However there is two small flaws i would like to point out.

First is the coating on the blade. It causes alot of resistance past a few inches. After this wears off and smooths up it likely wont be an issue. The stainless version wouldnt have this issue, but wont be nearly as rigid or strong as its carbon brother.

Second is the handle. it is about as basic as it gets. If your hands get a bit sweaty as mine do and you are handy with a dremel, i would advise you to sand in a couple shallow finger groves along the handle to get a better grip, or even some sort of rubberized tape. The blade is still sharp enough to cause some damage if you slip up badly so be careful if you get this badboy.

Overall i give it 4.5/5.0 stars. Now to see if it will stand the test of time.

Edit: 6 1/2" blade, 11 3/4" overall length is the specs

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread