Need a really strong Hori Hori, any reccomendations?

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through my 3rd and final hand digging tool today and stuck toting around a mini pick axe for now:BangHead:

The bounty hunter one lasted the longest in this hard packed sun baked texas cement dirt. Now its bends like a noodle at any resistance and will break at anytime. So much for stainless steel eh lol.

I am thinking i might try out the sun joe hori hori with the carbon steel blade, but before i go out and waste another 15 or 20 bucks on a tool that is a limp noodle, im am looking to you more experienced with hard as cement dirt guys with a bit more experience for advice:notworthy:

Does anyone know of a absolute beast of a hori hori?

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One hand digging tool I've used most is the "Lesche" cost more 50$ or so but worth the investment, if your digging rocky gravels then I would use some sort of Gold Prospecting pick then maybe, if creek or riverbed ? Heres picture of mine, Newpick_01.JPG was around $85 or so.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup this is the mini pick axe thingy i got coinandrelic, not the same one but one i got from home depot. Works great for getting past roots too.

That raptor looks sweet as heck, dont look like no slacker that is for sure. A lil over the hear the wife moan and groan at me all day budget:( I might can sneak by with something up to 30 bucks

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't afford one either right now. But if you ever see a guy who goes by Dirtfishing on youtube, you can see this tool in action. It is nice.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is nice to see that I am not the only one who has use of a jack hammer to dig with... not at all of my spots now but the ones around the house. I have been tempted to use the chisel and hammer in this rock hard clay and gravel mixed with shale deposits. I am pretty hard on the gloves and tools... hands included! LOL good luck

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've put my Lesche hand digger to the test for four years. It's unbreakable! I'm now looking at their shovels. They can be a bit pricey, but you'll never have the need to buy another.
Good luck
Peace

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn was telling me he got a nice digging tool from <am.leo.com>. For $18.99. It's a classic soil digger. The place is a garden supply company.
He said he's had it for years with no problems.

I have to order a catalog my iPad won't let me go to the site...or maybe I won't let me go to the site!

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn was telling me he got a nice digging tool from <am.leo.com>. For $18.99. It's a classic soil digger. The place is a garden supply company.
He said he's had it for years with no problems.

I have to order a catalog my iPad won't let me go to the site...or maybe I won't let me go to the site!

That one link wouldnt work for me either, but i found what i think might be it: A.M. Leonard Tools for the Horticultural Industry since 1885.

Here is their hori hori and it is for 18.99 too, looks to have a good thick blade with a beveled/sharp edge: Leonard Classic Stainless Steel Soil Knife | AM Leonard Horticultural Supply

This look about right?

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is nice to see that I am not the only one who has use of a jack hammer to dig with... not at all of my spots now but the ones around the house. I have been tempted to use the chisel and hammer in this rock hard clay and gravel mixed with shale deposits. I am pretty hard on the gloves and tools... hands included! LOL good luck

I incorrectly put BH on this tool, thinking they made it since it came with my kit. It is actually a wilcox. But ya man check it out:
10520102_736865189702962_7772633332384065322_n.jpg 10527352_736865239702957_8477248163428664995_n.jpg
It lasted about a week or two out here, once V shape popped out that was all she sung. Did great in the moist and soft turf type dirt though.

The other two were your typical 5-8 dollar ones for flowers, a plastic one and the other i think was regular steel, Both snapped in half at the handle.

Need something with a good quarter inch thickness or so im thinking. I found a nice lesche on ebay for a decent price in thinking about: Lesche Digging Tool Knife Metal Detecting 3 in One Tool | eBay

That one looks susceptible at the handle area and maybe not enough meat in the thickness. Anyone use this one with much luck in really really hard soil?

This ghost town im at now is very unforgiving, its about as hard a dirt as you would see in a dirt road. Pickaxe is good for busting it up at the top but past that the thing is just a hassle and i sure dont want to stab anything nice in the hole. Got to have a digger

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of the state are you in? Sounds like you are in the drought plagued area. The Lesche or the Predator are probably your best bets for hand diggers. The Lesche is good quality steel and its design adds stiffness which is probably as good as you could expect from a hand digger. I imagine my Lesche will last me a lot of years, but our soil conditions in SE Texas are not as bad as what you describe. Never used the Predator but it looks well made and substantial as well. They are hand diggers though, and were not meant to break rock hard soil or be used as pry bars. You might want to consider one of the compact shovels which should give you more leverage and the ability to put some body weight into digging with the foot pads.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of the state are you in? Sounds like you are in the drought plagued area. The Lesche or the Predator are probably your best bets for hand diggers. The Lesche is good quality steel and its design adds stiffness which is probably as good as you could expect from a hand digger. I imagine my Lesche will last me a lot of years, but our soil conditions in SE Texas are not as bad as what you describe. Never used the Predator but it looks well made and substantial as well. They are hand diggers though, and were not meant to break rock hard soil or be used as pry bars. You might want to consider one of the compact shovels which should give you more leverage and the ability to put some body weight into digging with the foot pads.

Its generally not bad like around town here, just in a this particular area im at now. At the park it was a breeze compared to this stuff. Dried cracked, hard as a rock it seems. Drought type material for sure. This hand tool breakdown is just from trying to pop out a plug and get a hole going. Might have to get a pry bar to do it lol. Im more in central/SE central texas i suppose currently, in a ghost town called gay hill, old santa anna and sam houston stomping ground. Ever been out that way?

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i ended up settling on a Hori Hori that seems to have a very high feedback amongst MD enthusiast, bonsia masters, gardeners etc and is a well known master bonsia tool maker in japan. These guys pride the quality of their metal work, especially their swords and cutlery so im give them a shot.

It is the Joshua Roth hori hori: Amazon.com : Joshua Roth 1515 Hori Hori Digging Tool : Japanese Digging Knife : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I won mine on ebay for 18.50+shipping and after a gift card it came out to 17 or so. it is the #1515D carbon steel version btw.

When it comes in i will give it a full test and post the results here.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A.M. Leonard soil knife - $18. Indestructible.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little surprised at your Wilcox digger, because I have one I'm using now, it has an orange handle and I have literally stepped on the orange handle to pry a targets up with, it is 1/8 thick hard steel It hasn't bent yet, had it for years! It is V shaped and I wanted something more knife shaped, can't carry an actual knife, I would get arrested.
So I'll probably be getting the Leonard soil knife.

Post a pick when you get your new digging tool.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That leonard will be the next one i try if this joshua roth cant hack it, the price it was going for was too good to pass on it.

Looks good and solid.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little surprised at your Wilcox digger, because I have one I'm using now, it has an orange handle and I have literally stepped on the orange handle to pry a targets up with, it is 1/8 thick hard steel It hasn't bent yet, had it for years! It is V shaped and I wanted something more knife shaped, can't carry an actual knife, I would get arrested.
So I'll probably be getting the Leonard soil knife.

Post a pick when you get your new digging tool.

I may have just got a bad one then, i suppose not all steel treatments will come out perfect. An i certainly will post pics of this new one coming in and put it through the ringer see how it holds up.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its generally not bad like around town here, just in a this particular area im at now. At the park it was a breeze compared to this stuff. Dried cracked, hard as a rock it seems. Drought type material for sure. This hand tool breakdown is just from trying to pop out a plug and get a hole going. Might have to get a pry bar to do it lol. Im more in central/SE central texas i suppose currently, in a ghost town called gay hill, old santa anna and sam houston stomping ground. Ever been out that way?

I live by Galveston Bay but used to deer hunt on a family farm just NE of Sommerville so I know the area and have heard of Gay Hill but have never detected in the area. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread