Is it possible to "make a living" metal detecting?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much do you need to live? 30k yr? 60? It doesn't take many rings to get 30k worth of gold.

There are two guys here detecting at least 6 hours daily year round. They work the dry beach without ever going in the water. They are making a living![/QUOT

to this I must disagree....I'm not gonna guess how many gold rings you have found...but I have found a few more than my share and you will nearly always be stunned at how LITTLE you can get for most of em.If you like utilities and eating you have to find gold rings nearly daily...and thats just not gonna happen for long anywhere.

I know that there are the wow finds out there and I'm all over it.I believe.I also know better than to expect any regularity in good finds.I'm at a little over 20 gold rings.....about 5k.one in particular was 1200.00..how quick does anyone think they gonna get 20...took me years of hardcore hunting.to make a living at anything requires consistancy or a big ol warchest to float the boat.

I cheer for anyone who gives it a go...I'm not quitting my day job...heck I have a super slow winter and get to hunt almost daily for 4 months a year.

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't recommend anyone to take "advice under consideration" from negative people. This kind of toxic advice will masquerades as a person "just trying to help". Don't be fooled. It's designed to create doubt not explore possibilities. It's best not to even listen to those who pretend to help. Nay-Sayers are small thinkers and want company. On the other hand, big thinkers will offer constructive criticism and rational thought. Sincere advice has an uplifting and positive affect and intended to help guide someone to their goals - whatever that is. Sincere advice can help someone avoid mistakes and learn from mistakes on the road to MD success. Bottom line - it's all about attitude and projecting a 'can do' spirit! There are always reasons to avoid doing anything worthwhile. I just don't live in that universe. :thumbsup:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short answer, yes you can. It has and is being done.
There are a lot of variables that go with that however, you would have to choose the type of lifestyle you can maintain, it depends on your self confidence, skill sets, knowledge, health, and your ability to make it work, and luck wouldn't hurt.

The better the lifestyle you want the higher value finds you have to make.
If you can live off the land you have a better chance of supporting yourself because it requires less money, you could probably get by just finding coins and jewelry and a high value target now and then.

If you want a house, car, etc that's gonna cost ya! It requires some caches, gold and more high value items to get and maintain those.
If you want to live and retire in style, that is going to take some very grand caches and or very high value targets, and the more you have the more you have to think about security for it.

If you maintain a fairly simple lifestyle and find some large caches, or etc, you can retire and metal detect just for fun.

So many choices and one lifetime to live. GL and HH!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting pretty steadily for about a year. I usually average 4-8 hunts a month. In the past year, I estimate that I have found somewhere between $1200-1400 in clad, and precious metals (including brass and copper). The most I have found in clad was perhaps $5.00 a day. I have easily $5,000 in equipment. Even though I have made some money buying and selling equipment, I am a long way off from making a living from this let alone getting rich. Most of the other items I have found wouldn't sell and it is more value to me looking at it.

I think you may be better off buying some land and arrowhead hunt and selling your finds at swap meets or take all that weird metal that is found and make artwork out of it and sell it.

I'm in a unique position where I still pull an income even though I don't work a 9-5. When I consider my opportunity costs, I have to decide if it is better for me to full-time pursue this hobby or better spend my time volunteering, working odd jobs or working for people (elderly) for free.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do you need to live? 30k yr? 60? It doesn't take many rings to get 30k worth of gold.

There are two guys here detecting at least 6 hours daily year round. They work the dry beach without ever going in the water. They are making a living!

Dont mind chlsbrns, he picks a thread and trolls it to death. Most of us ignore him anymore.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not a nay sayer in this...it is after all my dream.I know that my expieriences are unique to me,all good.I only post in this thread because I fear the unitiated making potentially bad choices without hearing both sides.I have spent nearly 4 months a year traveling up to 3 hrs each way.researching for many hours before each project.working like a dog and loving it.
I have made some money,not a ton.I have gone after it with a level of commitment that could be critisised by some for its intensity.coming from a mining and other intense livelyhood backgrounds I can say this a tough deal.
I'm not trying to tell anyone what they can accomplish,I have no idea.This seems a thread to share personal expieriences in this trade/hobby.I would hope to hear others share their histories if they actually took a stab at making a living at it,I have.

If you have never gone,"all in"for the bucks in this trade/hobby than I have to admit....your opinions are pretty much guesses,hopes and dreams.It is tough,and the pressure of producing makes it even tougher.Weather becomes a secondary consideration.Adding up direct expenses adds stress.I dont recomend it for anyone who has to perform.Love of the hunt becomes a blurred,desperate race to the find....no fun.

I hunt because I dig hunting.I still over value my finds and accept when I sell them that,"it is what it is"
I look forward to retirement when I can hunt every day.I friggin love it and I will NEVER try to make a living at it again.

my2 cents

cheers

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know ONE man who detects Australia 6 - 8 mos every year, making a very nice living over the past 15 yrs. Single man, likes life in the Outback, and is physically/mentally well-suited to the task. When we share campfire stories, I am convinced it takes a rare breed of cat to do this.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta have strong legs and it's a lot of work to metal detect!:laughing7: To turn it into a job would be "working under the gun" and introducing stress into an activity that is supposed to relieve stress!
I used to make jewelry for fun then turned it into a business then manufacturing (casting other people's designs)! I don't make jewelry anymore.:unhappysmiley:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No! Then it would be work & not a fun hobby.
I STARTED IN 1975 AT AGE TWELVE - GOT INTO IT AS A HOBBY
A LOT OF THE TIMES I GO OUT NOW - IT DOES SEEM LIKE WORK
I WORK MY BUTT OFF WHEN I GO DETECTING ON VACATION - I USUALLY NEED A VACAY FROM MY VACAY

ABOUT THE SUBJECT - ITS BEEN DISCUSSED IN POSTS HERE IN THE PAST
SOME GUYS LONG AGO DROVE DOWN THE COAST DETECTING IN A VAN
TRYING TO SEE IF THEY COULD "MAKE A LIVING" AT IT
THEY SLEPT IN THE VAN UNLESS THEY MADE ENOUGH FOR A CHEAP HOTEL
THEY HIT MAINLY BEACHES AND USED CHANGE TO PAY FOR FOOD AND GAS
THIS WAS BACK WHEN GAS WAS HALF AS MUCH AS IS NOW
THEY GOT BY I GUESS - IF YOU COULD CALL IT LIVING

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you can make a living being a metal detectorist.

(assuming you live in a tent, have no dependents, are receiving SSI, Medicare and something of a retirement account from some place up north and you enjoy being seen in a broken down '67 Buick with different color doors and no hood.)

There is an alternative however.

When it's discovered that pull tab's are a premium rocket fuel source for alien space ships- I'm gunna be rich!

(it's called a hobby for a reason)

God that is funny... LOL

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only if you can get on TV....

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I view all the YouTube vids, TV shows, etc. Some of the MDing "stars" are surely comped by manufacturers, even cable companies and YT. But , can a person sustain a comfortable life by metal detecting?
Any thoughts...
Thanks
Peace

I have read a lot of views on this, but what do you think? Do you think you can? If so, what leads you to beleive you can? You must have some serious doubts or you wouldn't be asking the question. Personally, I couldn't based on what I find. Might be different for others.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
If bottlecaps all of a sudden were depreciated in numbers by a sweeping magnetic meteor, then yes I would make a killin.

sponge using smoke signals.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I initially asked to hear many different thoughts. Thankyou all. But I have no plans to try. My home n vehicles still have years of forthcoming payments. I work every hour I can and will continue to do so. Retirement not in sight.
Though I have heated my castle 2 winters from detecting. I bought one detector, F70, with "dug" change.
Guess I'll keep diggin'...
Peace

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a sage piece of wisdom from a man that knew, "Don't quit your day job, your going to need it for one of two reasons, one- if it doesn't work out for you, you can pay the bills and two for "cover" if it does" - KMV

Either way, your living the dream, as we all are!

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I initially asked to hear many different thoughts. Thankyou all. But I have no plans to try. My home n vehicles still have years of forthcoming payments. I work every hour I can and will continue to do so. Retirement not in sight.
Though I have heated my castle 2 winters from detecting. I bought one detector, F70, with "dug" change.
Guess I'll keep diggin'...
Peace

I took early retirement to hunt for caches and prospect all over the USA. It worked out great Untill my home, car and MN burned in a fire. Hay, I was in the house!
I was luckey in that I could sell off part of the farm and build a new house myself.
I also have many skills that I can fall back on from time to time.Presently, I am having some repair work done, but I have two caches lined up for this summer.
Hay, 76 and still digging! Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
You could try what this guy's doing:

hi_def_truck.jpg

saw it driving near my neighborhood the other day and looked them up online. They charge $25 an hour to search for things you lost, or to just search your yard to see what's there. Their website says they even do birthday parties. I think I may try this for my retirement :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You could try what this guy's doing:

View attachment 1024595

saw it driving near my neighborhood the other day and looked them up online. They charge $25 an hour to search for things you lost, or to just search your yard to see what's there. Their website says they even do birthday parties. I think I may try this for my retirement :laughing7:

I do it for free, but valuable finds are a 50/50 split. It is worth it when you come up with jewelry
that is worth thousands. Frank...-
Z chest.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread