Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am pretty sure that there are some really nice gradeable coins that this would be stupid to do or any kind of cleaning for that matter but for the others that really look terrible and unreadable and even some of the silver, is this a reliable method to get decent results? it looks simple enough and I understand the principal, I believe this in reverse is how they plate metals if i remember correctly. I also believe that I have seen where people have used electrolysis on even iron objects to get the extra caked on stuff off. I was even thinking about an old token, again, not a keeper. just curious as to the viability of the process. I have also seen coins that were "over cleaned" and their value reduced considerably, thanks.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I would say you have to be careful and use where you know it will make a difference or don't care if the coin's value is decreased or anything is worth trying to improve the coin's detail. I know it works well on silver or gold. This coin was not in bad shape but I wanted it to be look better for my own personal enjoyment of the coin.
B1884.jpg B1888.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It works, basically you are removing the corroded layer of the object.
I once knew a person who would remove the corrosion and then reverse the process and replate it with a good piece of
the same type metal. Yea, I know the purest are dieing hearing that. Frank...-
111-1 profileblk.jpg

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've acquired the alligator clips and have the old phone charger so plan to try it on some ugly clad. in years past this would never had been an issue but after all of the brain trauma, I am slower at figuring things out and remembering the stupidest simple things. Having said that, compared to what I was like and able to do just eight years ago, everything is A okay. still. it does get frustrating at times but there is always someone who would love to be in my shoes versus their own! thanks for the help.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got everything together and tried it on a super cruddy clad quarter, my wife was amazed and watched it for several minutes, even stopping to check on it as the water turned to a nasty mess. it was kind of cool watching the coin bubbling and the nastiness dissolving and floating off. It went from you couldn't read anything on it to being easy to read(I rubbed some baking soda on both sides while it was still wet). I know that this is not the thing to do on any collectable or desirable coins but it flat cleaned up a cruddy nickle as well. I see it as a useful tool under the right circumstances for the right reasons. and best of all, it is super easy to do this, easy materials (everybody has old phone chargers and there are videos on how to do it as well.) thanks Ocean7 and Frankn for your input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread