Sick of dogs with no leash on school grounds

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the standing tall etc is all well and good, but guess what ........... the issue is not what to do with an aggressive dog as much as it is not allowing dogs to run free. Tennessee has a leash law that makes it a bit easier for us. I love dogs and have had jobs most of my life calling on homes or out in public that can lead to run-ins with dogs. The ONLY times I have ever been bitten were by dogs that slipped up and bit me before I even saw them. The owner's ARE responsible for controlling their dogs and would be liable anywhere, but that doesn't keep you from getting bit. Pepper spray works well if you are allowed to carry it. Unfortunately I have had to dispatch a few as well. All of it could have been avoided it the owners were responsible. It amazes me that owners without fail will get furious when you spray their aggressive dogs. Ya just can't fix stupid.

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it becomes a consistent problem maybe look into a Green Gas / CO2 powered, pocket-size airsoft pistol. Leave the orange tip ON! Something about $40 should do wonders if you're needing to defend yourself with a non-lethal approach. Probably doesn't even need to be loaded, just the sound of popping off the gas should turn them the other way 'round. I'm a dog lover too but if the owner is dumber than the dog, well, sorry puppy, skeedaddle POPOPOPOPOP!

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a dog run up on me like that really thought he was going to bite me. So the first thing to come to mind was asking him wheres your stick? He looked at me like how do you know about the stick. Then he would not leave me alone.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just shove your arm down thier throat and say it bit ya

tiburciovasquez

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had a couple dogs come up to me. Once about a week ago I had one who was growling and barking behind me with no leash and I got the heck out of there, turned out to be just a little furry dog lol :)

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I eat bad dogs..we..the proud yeti people always have.you all can thank us for speeding up the darwin deal.I once had a pretty agressive sheppard come at me....bang with my shovel.problem solved thot I.then some hippy chick comes at me for defending myself...she was actually trying to hit me.For the first time in my life there was a cop when you needed one and arrested her.animal controll took the dang dog.
I know I'm not your average kinda guy...but I could not stop laughing at the crazy b****...and yes I pressed charges.dog was fine...scared as heck of me...but fine.

I love dogs...have two at home...but an arse dog is only good with lemon pepper...and charcoal people....not propane

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mailmen around here carry a dog mace just incase. You could check a uniform shop to see if they carry it.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to love dogs until I became a mail carrier. I can't stand them anymore! I have had one sneak up on me while I was digging a plug once ,luckily he just wanted to lick me! I think I will keep my doggy mace on me next time I go treasure hunting. Going bottle digging this Sunday!!!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to have one or two come at me in my walking travels when i lived in NH.Theres was only one way to get where I wanted to go,no going around no avoiding it.One was pretty aggressive,the other mostly barked.I started carrying the bayonet pictured in the other thread,I was waiting ,I would of split the mutts skull in half.It knew i wasnt afraid of it.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to have one or two come at me in my walking travels when i lived in NH.Theres was only one way to get where I wanted to go,no going around no avoiding it.One was pretty aggressive,the other mostly barked.I started carrying the bayonet pictured in the other thread,I was waiting ,I would of split the mutts skull in half.It knew i wasnt afraid of it.
yeah!!!!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always bring my I-phone with me and video tape dogs coming at me,so I have proof if I should have to call the cops,the other day I was walking my 10 year old chocolate lab up to the mailbox,and on the other side of the road there was a a dog going after a women walking her dog,the owner was sitting in his garage calling his dog off of them,but it wasn't listening,it was snapping and barking at them and them jumped up on her almost knocking her down.Of course I was filming the whole thing,and when the owner saw what I was doing he got really angry at his dog.Someone had called 9-1-1 and when the cops came I showed him the video,I recently noticed a 'for rent" sign in front of that house now.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Once I was in my front yard thinking I was alone and suddenly I felt fur. A huge St Bernard had cozied
up next to me making me swallow my heart. Dogs you aren't expecting to be there causes unusual
responses in folks. Some go beserk and scream like a girl, others get mad and want to split their skulls
with bayonets. It happens because people are insecure and always want to be in control and be macho
man. Chop chop sucker!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Once I was in my front yard thinking I was alone and suddenly I felt fur. A huge St Bernard had cozied
up next to me making me swallow my heart. Dogs you aren't expecting to be there causes unusual
responses in folks. Some go beserk and scream like a girl, others get mad and want to split their skulls
with bayonets.

You must be a dog owner that lets their dog run loose,if it never comes back,you'll know why.

It happens because people are insecure and always want to be in control and be macho
man. Chop chop sucker!

Actually it happens people get bit and the owner isnt around or is unknown.And the person that gets bit because of negligent owners gets stuck going to the hospital for stitches,possible rabies shots,vaccines,then they get stuck with the bill.
So keep letting your dog run loose,any dog gets aggressive near me when i'm minding my own business,i will kill it.CHOP CHOP SUCKER

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You must be a dog owner that lets their dog run loose,if it never comes back,you'll know why.

Actually it happens people get bit and the owner isnt around or is unknown.And the person that gets bit because of negligent owners gets stuck going to the hospital for stitches,possible rabies shots,vaccines,then they get stuck with the bill.
So keep letting your dog run loose,any dog gets aggressive near me when i'm minding my own business,i will kill it.CHOP CHOP SUCKER
One thing for sure you never know what a dog is going to do…. And they can be mean …Or nice .. so you have to be very careful around a strange dog ….

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear you are scared of dogs even if you don't want to admit it. I am cautious of any animal but give dogs the benefit of the doubt until they display behavior of being over aggressive. That requires distinguishing between curious and playful behavior to territorial behavior. I know how to handle both and have owned dogs that exhibit the behavior you described but would save your life if you were in any type of trouble. They were curious and you could have had them digging your targets in 10 seconds if you hadn't become threatening to them when they came to say hi to you.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear you are scared of dogs even if you don't want to admit it. I am cautious of any animal but give dogs the benefit of the doubt until they display behavior of being over aggressive. That requires distinguishing between curious and playful behavior to territorial behavior. I know how to handle both and have owned dogs that exhibit the behavior you described but would save your life if you were in any type of trouble. They were curious and you could have had them digging your targets in 10 seconds if you hadn't become threatening to them when they came to say hi to you.

exactly....when your digging you are content, a dog understands content, a peaceful feeling that they actually gravitate to. If one is uncomfortable in his surroundings or upset at events around him a dog knows that immediately and actually sees it as weakness. I understand people not controlling their dogs, but I can stop a dog in its tracks just being calm and confident. most misbehaving dogs are used to fear being a normal reaction. we will never be able to hide a single feeling from a dog.

I'll get off my high horse now, I train alot of dogs. On a side note: my dog goes with me on every hunt, be it park or woods, unleashed always. She'd never act like some of the dogs people have described though.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive kicked one in the face before..but wouldnt hesitate to put my lesche digger in ones neck..stand your ground..lol...most the times they are cool around me

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive kicked one in the face before..but wouldnt hesitate to put my lesche digger in ones neck..stand your ground..lol...most the times they are cool around me

Thats the way it is diggin.I dont bother anybody or anything when i'm out and about.I expect the same in return.I dont mind dogs at all but,when ones coming at me for no reason its going to be the dogs problem what happens not mine.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry your own leash if you want a dog on a leash. Its a park, its for eveybody. I would not subject my precious pups to a park for any reason. I pay for their vet bill. So if someone wants to play heart worm roulette at a city park with their dog, let em. Now if your really bothered by this, then you should just call the dog warden and explain there is a very aggressive dog at the park and there is children present. Sooner or later the couple will get a ticket and have to prove the animal is neutered, has shots, and license. They may even be barred from the park. I am very frustrated with our city parks as they just changes the rules. No diggers or digging in the park. I have not been back since. I have made a list of city council members, and the mayor and you can bet come November. Wait cant post that here. You get the idea. Dont be a victim.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry your own leash if you want a dog on a leash. Its a park, its for eveybody. I would not subject my precious pups to a park for any reason. I pay for their vet bill. So if someone wants to play heart worm roulette at a city park with their dog, let em. Now if your really bothered by this, then you should just call the dog warden and explain there is a very aggressive dog at the park and there is children present. Sooner or later the couple will get a ticket and have to prove the animal is neutered, has shots, and license. They may even be barred from the park. I am very frustrated with our city parks as they just changes the rules. No diggers or digging in the park. I have not been back since. I have made a list of city council members, and the mayor and you can bet come November. Wait cant post that here. You get the idea. Dont be a victim.

I thought the thread said dogs on school grounds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread