Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use those rubber coated cloth skin tight gloves. Other than the issue of cuts it keeps the fingernails clean.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually bought a pair but haven't been able to make myself wear them yet ! Lol!
I know I should but I can't find or feel the dang coin or target with gloves on. I would probably have to alter my digging and retrieval style, maybe that's what's holding me back, I'd have to change the way I do that.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Surprised at the glass that turns up at some sites. Wire and rusted metals. We can handle broken glass when freed but in the ground there is to much resistance and angles unknown
even when we do see it.Had a rough area on one hand turned out to be from saw edge of digger through glove when digging. Having worn through many pairs of gloves detecting confirms their worth using. Even if you have callouses you can sand wood with. L.o.l..

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always wear the really thin blue Nitrile gloves then on top a set of cloth with the black nitirile coating. Farmers out here use lots of chemicals in the fields Round-Up and who knows what else in the No-Till fields, which are all there is now. Also a good while back one of my buddies got a pretty good gash while digging in a park on one of those broken green coke bottles.

OP
OP
M

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually bought a pair but haven't been able to make myself wear them yet ! Lol!
I know I should but I can't find or feel the dang coin or target with gloves on. I would probably have to alter my digging and retrieval style, maybe that's what's holding me back, I'd have to change the way I do that.

That's how I feel. My fingers are an extension of my eyes while working a hole. :thumbsup:

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gloves I get for summer
are streachy skin tight and work pretty good. Don't even notice them much. It is all an attitude adjustment. (negative feeling is all in your head. lol)
We used to be like that at work with a macho additude but things change. Osha says use them!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always wear gloves.You never know what your hands are going to come in contact with.I would rather have the gloves sliced than my fingers.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tetanus shots anyone? actually my current gloves are basically shot, can't bring myself to spend the bucks on another pair yet. however, the big hole on my fingertip that normally picks up the coins etc has several times hung onto the coin and instead of dropping the coin into my pouch, has flipped it off to the side. in fact my little wife has claimed a couple of my finds on the basis that obviously I didn't really want them. Gloves do save the hands and it is nice to just pull them off and have relatively clean hands, especially in the muddier dirt. I would like a pair that had sensitive fingertips and yet thicker palms for the hard digging that I do.

Stealth digger

Jun 2, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO & minelab pro 25 pointer. Other items I carry with me are a Yaesu VX 7 radio, maglit XL 50 , classic swiss army knife, solid brass Zippo, Gerber saw & Knife.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm like you Mr. H.
I have never liked wearing gloves with any activities, working, bike riding, digging or whatever. Just feel blind with them on.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear them and hate them too...if I am hunting an old home with sandy soil herein FL, I find myself going without, just to help probe for the target easier, without making a mess of the "plug", provided that I have determined there is no trash, like sharp aluminum cans... other sites that I am unsure of, and don't have to be so precise, gloves on. Admittedly, I do look good wearing them, gives me a tough guy look.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do wear gloves but on Friday skipped that ritual and got a glass cut. Somebody saw my post and recommended "Ansell 100% Kevlar Dotted Medium weight Gloves" sold on Amazon among other places.
Working an old colonial site full of broken glass, I have no choice but to wear gloves, and I've unearthed rusted razor blades and knives in the past. I did get a pair of heavy duty work gloves with Dotted protection (not Kevlar) and see the very finger I cut on Friday got a small hole torn at the tip by glass on the first day of use. The older the site, the more you really need to wear gloves unless you like stitches and visits to the E.R. Now I'm ordering the Kevlar! HH!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a tough call... I don't like to wear them but I do especially after a couple rather nasty gashes. If you think using gloves is hard try MDing with stitches and bandages. Now that sucks! LOL

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a nice one once going from first knuckle across the second knuckle,think i got 5 or 6 stitches for that one:laughing9:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can never work with gloves on. Never have. Even growing up on a farm.
Yet yesterday I cut my left thumb and right middle finger while working a hole. What's a detectorest to do?

I've tried using gloves and I hate them... And yes I've been cut many times. So I'm either stupid or tough (that's not a question or poll). "Things" just don't seem the same when I'm working or handling items. I guess I just rely on my sense of touch to much.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get those dollar a pair cloth with nitrile front (palm) side. They're cheap and I wear em till I get a hole in the pointer finger
then throw away. I sometimes just wear the left on which goes in the hole.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Dirtlooter said! Make sure you're up-to date on your tetanus shots!
And watch out for flesh eating stuffs! Keep clean clean clean!

I know we have a lot of bacteria down here in the tropics. I almost lost a foot a a teenager, small simple cut turned in to blood poisoning, quick.
Be safe, GL & HH!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always wear gloves but now that we're detecting a few times a week and the ground is so hard I wear them out. I bought a pair of gloves from Home Depot last weekend in the small size and they are a thick rubberized material and so far so good. My mister dug up a rusted razor blade a few days ago,glad he had on gloves!

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time I wear gloves is in the winter time. I got a pair of wool gloves with the fingers cut off to keep the hands warm. The rest of the year I don't bother. The only time I even think I might need gloves is when I'm diging in poison ivy. Worst case of poison ivy I got was from pulling roots bare handed. Still don't wear gloves but I don't pull roots either.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't got a metal detector yet, and when I was into it back in the 90's, I usually wore gloves, and here is what I have to offer:

Wear them, and get used to wearing them. I've been a machinist and industrial mechanic my whole life, and I can truly say that my hands would be scarred nubs if I didn't wear gloves. I wear cut-resistant gloves like these http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15382L/Cut-Resistant-Gloves/Ansell-Hyflex-11-627-Dyneema-Cut-Resistant-Gloves-Large?pricode=WY569&gadtype=pla&id=71850609202&gclid=CjwKEAjw9eyeBRCqxc_b-LD8kTESJADsBMxSLVEyOp7cwXiAF4QI8UXsqi7SDb59ZR0t7L5oqhvwfBoCZBHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds and I also buy heavy duty nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight.

Its so much easier to pull off the gloved and eat lunch than it is to find a place to wash up. The hands feel better and look better. As mentioned before - and I am sure that all of us have encountered stinky rancid soil. There's no telling what creepy stuff is in there. Do you really want to have your hands in that crap? Moreso, do you really want to get a cut when your hands are in that crap?

Keep a-swingin' and safe happy hunting with clean hands, because without your hands you will be digging holes with your feets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread