What to do? Advice

Cylon_Detector

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2014
Southern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Fisher F2, Lesche Ball handle shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if this is the right place for this but...

So there's a great old 1920s school building and grounds about half a mile from me. I believe it's where the children of the original owners of our house went to school in the 1930s.

Currently owned and maintained by the Board of Cooperative Educational Services and used by them for classes and summer school. This summer the building is closed due to internal renovations.

After calling the main offices of the BOCES program, on Monday July 14th, I was transferred to a gentleman who seemed to be in charge of the school facilities in question. He was stumped by my request to metal detect there. I explained my interest in local history and the hobby and he said that this summer would be the best time to do it. He said he's make some phone calls and ask the higher authorities at the program what they thought. He said he'd get back to me in a few days. I called back on Wednesday and he was out of his office but said he'd be back Thursday (today) and would definitely ask them about it and get back to me today.

So today, Thursday, July 17th I've been waiting around for his call, my treasure finger itching and he hasn't called.

My questions are: 1. Is it too pushy/persistent to call him again, and could that jeopardize my chances to dig this site?

2. If it's a BOCES program, is it owned by the state and thus public land, and then do I even need permission? (Never dug a school before, so I don't know these things).

This would be a huge help, thanks!

HH

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never asked permission to dig at schools. At least in my area of N.Y. they are considered public property. If you don't hear from him, I would go on the weekend when nobody is around. The most that could happen is you would be asked to leave. Just make sure there are no signs stating no detecting, private property ect. and good luck hunting.

OP
OP
Cylon_Detector

Cylon_Detector

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2014
Southern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Fisher F2, Lesche Ball handle shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm ok. Wouldn't it add insult to injury to have asked for permission and then to just go ahead anyway, if they had an issue with it? Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask no one to detect the local schools I pay enough taxes for the privilege of removing trash and a few coins from there. You ask to detect and they start asking questions then say no. Don't ask just detect.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Holy crap man, grow a pair and just do it. Its public property - that means your tax dollars pay for it.

I find it disturbing how some people (northeasterners especially) have become so conditioned to asking permission from government bureaucrats to even fart.

Big Brother says "No, you can't buy a firearm without a permit."
Big Brother says "No, you can't metal detect on the beach without a permit."
Big Brother says "No, you can't buy a 64 oz big gulp soda."
Big Brother says "No, you can't take a pizz in your own backyard."

Dayum - welcome to communism. I don't know how people live like that.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go for it! If anyone questions you say, "I made sure to ask permission first".

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree.... I do the same thing.... go for it...

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have detected it immediately, especially since they are renovating it, to me that is an open invitation! I am surprised Tom in Ca. Has not responded to this thread, this is one of his pet peeves! Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Wouldn't it add insult to injury to have asked for permission and then to just go ahead anyway,.....

Which is exactly why you shouldn't have asked permission, in the first place. I mean, unless there were a specific rule saying "no detecting", what's there to ask for ? Is detecting somehow an evil or dangerous/damaging activity, that needs someone's permission, to begin with ? Like, assuming others can jog the track there, use the chinup bars, walk their dog, etc..., then why are you somehow different ?

And you may be thinking "well what harm does it do to ask?" Here's the answer: Because .... let's just *say* some pencil pusher lawyer, whose desk you "pressing question" ends up on, says: "no". Ok, then think about it: Guess what will happen, from then on out, when any of them see another md'r in any school yard, from then on out ? They'll remember the earlier inquiry, and think "aha! there's one of *THEM* ". And start booting others. I've seen this psychology happen.

Not saying to throw caution to the wind, or not ask where truly needed. But .... for run of mill parks, schools, sandboxes, etc..., no, you can look up rules for oneself. If it didn't say "no detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited. ,

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have even asked. The only places u need to get permission r private home owners.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He was stumped by my request to metal detect there.

He said he's make some phone calls and ask the higher authorities at the program what they thought.

Welcome to the runaround game! The guy was totally blowing you off. He doesn't want to give permission because he could be held accountable if you go at the property Ric Savage style and destroy the place, yet he doesn't want to be confrontational over the phone by just telling you "No". If he does get back with you, expect to get a "no" because of some "liability" concerns.

Detect it later on a weekday afternoon or early weekend mornings. No groundskeepers or anyone else around to hassle you. Treat it like you would a public park, go at low traffic times when not many people are around. If the school is still in use, NEVER go there while it is in use, waiting until kids and teachers all go home.

I work with government agencies who play games with my company like this. Unless they say "No", no answer means go for it.

As always, follow the code of ethics and treat the property with respect! Good luck and HH!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
School property is owned by the local school district (I pay my school taxes and know that I've bought a chunk of the local schools). BOCES are groups of dictricts. It it public property. BUT, you are a person, not the public. Police cars are public property; but take a tire off one and justify it by saying "I''m a taxpayer and this is public property". See how far it gets you.

That said - I would detect and wait for them to tell me. I have never had a problem during off seasons (summer) when the school is closed. I detect at the local state police crime lab (in an old school) and never had any grief. Be polite, be courteous, if they ask you to leave, do. Most public folks - police included - only get involved if a law or ordinance is obviously being disobeyed or someone complains.

Do not start with board members or office staff. Start with the grounds superintendent or maintenance manager.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too agree with the majority of responses here , If indeed this is a public school , and there is no signage regarding MDing ,
and no keep out or private property signage , and no fences with locked gates - then I would give it a try - either go early
on a weekend or after lunch when folks are moving a bit slower , a little lazy . Hey - worst case scenario some hard a$$
comes around and tells you to take a hike - you take a hike !

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, 8-)

Great topic...!! :headbang: Technically we should be allowed to detect at the Public Parks, Schools, Post office, Court House, Jail house, or any other government building that has a lawn. :dontknow: As we please with no questions asked... However people are so nosy, bossy and on power trips. :icon_scratch: They feel they have the right to call police or harass us personally. When technically, its all public property. ??? Taxes are paid by most of us and we should be allowed to dig at these places. As long as we fill in our holes stomp them hard into the ground and make sure they stay down. So we don't get in trouble for damaging public property.... :sadsmiley: So if its public land get out there and find something !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread