Got good news and bad news! *L* (1780s property)

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got good news and bad news! *L* (1780's property)

the good news, now have permission to hunt a 1780's property. The bad news, it's 70 miles away. Still it has a 18" stone wall house with a dirt floor cellar, a bank barn foundation, and some other outbuildings. So it'll probably take me awhile to find anything. Soil is very loamy where any old coins would be very deep. Will assume plenty or iron and cut nails from slate roofs etc. It could turn up some great finds and it could be a bust. It has potential for arrowheads too! I'm pretty psyched about it. May take me months before I know what awaits the coil of my machine. I plan to use a weed wacker to cut down areas to high to hunt like in bank barn foundation, and that will take time. I have a signed "Search & Salvage Agreement" just in case I unearth an old cache nobody knew about - you'll never read about it here per clause#5. And that's my good news and bad news! :)

happy hunting all!
b862.jpg

Clause #5 That both the Salvors and the Landowner agree that the find shall remain undisclosed to any persons other than immediate families of the participants. Furthermore, the recovery shall not be disclosed to any member of the media in any manner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ah hahhaha you so funny! No but I call my GPS Tonto! *L*
I'll suffer through it - trust me! *L*

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the property.Sounds like a neat place to hunt.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the property.Sounds like a neat place to hunt.
Thanks RJ. Should prove challenging and possibly even worth some hard work. *L* ya never know with these places if they haven't been hammered by MD'ers in the past.
I know it has very good potential and that's why I'm even bothering.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a potential "sweet spot". But what intrigues me most is Clause #5! Well done. May you have the best of luck...
Peace

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks Dave and CK. Clause #5 implies that I'm not just looking for dropped coins, relics, etc. People want to rush to the highest mountain and scream about any big finds. Now that's really silly because more people will pop out of the wood work claiming it was their great-great grandpa's, or great-great Uncle Charlie's, etc - people who no connection to the property or whatever is found. Sure it's tempting to grab bragging rights should you find something of large value. But as any professional cache hunter will tell you, in any book you'll ever read by them - keep your mouth shut! Or you may find that you have just lit a fuse to losing it all - either literally or in legal battles with slick gutter snipes. And no, I'm not a professional cache hunter just a well read one. :)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounds like you have thought it out pretty well, hopefully it will be all that you hope it to be with very interesting finds and no or very little problems, good luck when you finally get to go

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like you have thought it out pretty well, hopefully it will be all that you hope it to be with very interesting finds and no or very little problems, good luck when you finally get to go
thanks dirtlooter. Yeah, I formulated a plan on this one for a long time and if I find something from 1800's - that would be great. 1700's would be amazing. It's the thrill of the hunt and thrill of the find for me. HH!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and best of luck on your TH'ing quest!
Uhmm, we are your T NEt family, just post a pic of a single item, if a coin, standing on edge and say "it has friends"...we'll know! Ok?

Stay safe. GL. HH!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You consider 70 miles a - ? My last cache hunt was a 600mi round trip. My last beach hunt was a 300 mile round trip. My MH only gets 14 mpg on diesel, but I can stay as long as I want with no motel bill and low food cost. Your search location is basicly the same layout as my farm. You will find plenty of iron and sparkplugs at the bank barn. My farm is 200 years old and there is a legend of a hidden cache here, but it is well hidden. Good luck, Frank...- shack 1939 Beauford, S.C._0069.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks Dave and CK. Clause #5 implies that I'm not just looking for dropped coins, relics, etc. People want to rush to the highest mountain and scream about any big finds. Now that's really silly because more people will pop out of the wood work claiming it was their great-great grandpa's, or great-great Uncle Charlie's, etc - people who no connection to the property or whatever is found. Sure it's tempting to grab bragging rights should you find something of large value. But as any professional cache hunter will tell you, in any book you'll ever read by them - keep your mouth shut! Or you may find that you have just lit a fuse to losing it all - either literally or in legal battles with slick gutter snipes. And no, I'm not a professional cache hunter just a well read one. :)

Well said.... and totally right!!!!! They'll ALWAYS be somebody wanting a "piece" or making your life miserable. But it would suck not to share at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread