Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone-Money-Micronesia-e1309606877699.jpg

6a01348747d991970c0133f5998b96970b.jpg

If you ever find yourself vacationing in the western Pacific, swing by Yap Island, home of one of the most bizarre forms of money in history.
Over a thousand years ago, natives would mine enormous chunks of limestone and carve them into gigantic circular discs.

REALLY big discs… a typical disc would be 5 to 10 feet in diameter, over a foot thick, and weigh several tons.They called them ‘Rai Stones’, and they were actually used as currency. Curiously, an indiviaul rai would be valued not based on its weight or size, but based on its story.
If many people had been killed transporting it, or if the stone had once belonged to a famous warrior, the rai would be worth more. So it was a bit of a collectible as well as a form of money.
Needless to say, the sheer size of these stones meant that they wouldn’t be moved very often. Everyone on the island just sort of knew who owned each rai, like a primative form of Bitcoin’s blockchain.

Happy Birthday Paper Money: 353 Years Of Wanton Destruction | Zero Hedge

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. Would surely stop thieves. ;) Now, if I could find just one made of gold!
Peace

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now thats actually funny...money you cant spend and it worth is based on things you cant controll...WAIT...thats just like my retirement acct....sheesh

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now thats actually funny...money you cant spend and it worth is based on things you cant controll...WAIT...thats just like my retirement acct....sheesh

Your not alone there guy.....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it sure cut down on theft. Now that's karma when stealing can actually kill you! Lol!
It beats Fort Knox which is probably nothing but a hologram now.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this part "an indiviaul rai would be valued not based on its weight or size, but based on its story."

a good B.S.'er (or George Lucas) could probably do some Wicked Counterfeiting on 10 pound rai's :laughing7:

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"a good B.S.'er (or George Lucas) could probably do some Wicked Counterfeiting on 10 pound rai's"

Well if I'm not... I'd learn to be real quick!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.....that you could make your own money....I wonder if they got the story right.

" Thanks for building a boat for me, there are a couple big rocks out back for you....the last 2 guys died trying to move them, so they are very valuable". ???:dontknow::laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats a retirement account:dontknow: :laughing7:

Get your ass down here and help me find the "Lost Golden Horseshoe" I know is behind my home RED. Then we'll both know what a retirement account is.... HURRY... I'm low on batteries. I still think
Huntsman53 found it and ran home (kinda). But there's still 3 more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread