How vulnerable are you

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try to be very aware of where, who, and what is around me when anywhere, doing anything. As I've got older, I know a lot of awareness is slipping away; but still have enough to not be too worried about it.

As for headphones, I have several pairs. I have some that don't cover my ears completely and I can hear what's going around me. I have some, which cover my ears, that almost keep all sound out except that of the detector. I also, have some that are 'open air' type. They cover my ears, but also have slots in them so sound from the outside can come in. These are all just cheap headphones; but work well for me.

If I'm in a place that I don't feel comfortable, but want to hunt there anyway, the little Bersa .380 concealed carry makes me feel a lot better.

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called situational awareness. I am fortunate that the beaches I hunt are fairly desolate, and I can see people coming from a long way off. Even so, I make it a point to check over my shoulder every so often to see if someone is approaching. Usually they are just folks walking the beach, but Mr. Glock is always ready to rock.

paints a nice picture of you yelling"my gold is not for sale" while shooting the guy in the knee, all in response to him asking if you are having any luck

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
paints a nice picture of you yelling"my gold is not for sale" while shooting the guy in the knee, all in response to him asking if you are having any luck

I can't help it but this made me laugh.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to use one of these for digging,chopping roots etc and persuading people to leave me alone.Theres not to much that works better than a 14 inch blade hanging on your belt.

3232b.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done this detecting now for over 40 years .. And never thought about it … And probably never will think about it …. I don't know why you all are so shaky ….
Keppy I know 2 hunters that were mugged, another member posted about being robbed while hunting and not only took his money but they stole his detector too.

One of my accessories is a .45 or 9mm pistol.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here where i am more worried about wildlife then humans as i do my hunting at night to escape the gestapo and general a-holes. Most people wont be seeing nothing but darkness where i am out and about. And no i dont use headphones, i find they interfere with my hearing aids more then anything. You hear the occasional scream at night of a cougar and the tales about the livestock attacks every so often to confirm they are out there, and just last night i ran into a pack of foxes. I stopped not even 12-15 yards from them and watched. They were sitting under a light waiting for june bugs. Soon as one hit the ground it was a goner. Got a few pics of em too

So i am fairly aware of my surrounding and have only ever got caught or should i say ambushed by surprise from behind by a automated sprinkler system. Ya that just about made me die of cold shock and fright on the spot. it was a hot night and i was sweaty already. Ever had anyone throw ice cold water on you in a shower as a prank? That is what it was like, knocked the breath clean out of me. May as well got hit by a mack truck. I aint never skittered and jittered on out the way of a sprinkler so fast in my life.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I do look up some to check the location of the chickies, they like to surround me..

Thats only because of the 10 pound bag of chicken feed you happen to be carrying:laughing7:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threads like this just make me that much happier that I live in the great state of Montana. I've had more people come up and ask if I wanted to detect their place than I've had give me a hard time or make me nervous.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt in public places, I generally wear a safety vest that says "public works" on it , and have never been harassed by anybody.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, Montana, a wonderful place. But, yes here is very different. There are a lot of places I am afraid to hunt. If I had someone to hunt with I would feel much better. Carrying a gun is out for me. N.J. has some serious gun laws. I have thought about mace, but I could not run away. Too dang old! And if there are more than one then would not help much. There are so many druggies here that they would rob you in a minute for a dollar. Things are not what they used to be, when we left out doors unlocked and the keys in the car.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to use one of these for digging,chopping roots etc and persuading people to leave me alone.Theres not to much that works better than a 14 inch blade hanging on your belt.

View attachment 1025094

I like it. My is not a digging tool but is nice to have around in the woods.

Hhaha ha that's not a knife, this is a knife. Crocodile Dundee. 002.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like it. My is not a digging tool but is nice to have around in the woods.

Hhaha ha that's not a knife, this is a knife. Crocodile Dundee.

Yup a WW1 German bayonet.Think I paid a couple of bucks for it,other than that it wasnt worth a whole lot.It cut a good plug though and it was very throw-able,as the point could completely pierce a 2x6 from 15 or so feet:laughing7:rugged and heavy.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup a WW1 German bayonet.Think I paid a couple of bucks for it,other than that it wasnt worth a whole lot.It cut a good plug though and it was very throw-able,as the point could completely pierce a 2x6 from 15 or so feet:laughing7:rugged and heavy.

The knife I carry is a Rambo III. Traded a guy a face cord of fire wood for it. It was designed by Sly Stallone and was made for show. I took it to have it sharpened on now it can split hairs.. It gets the job done.

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you drop a hammer on somebody anywhere beside a burglar inside your own home get ready for big trouble. Look at the Trevon Martin incident. So here are my thoughts. Don't go to a dangerous place unless there are two of you. An WW II Entrenching tool turned on a 90 angle carried in a holster on a pistol belt makes one hell of a weapon. MACE too. And a firearm as a last resort because the lawyers are just waiting for you to take your entire estate.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you drop a hammer on somebody anywhere beside a burglar inside your own home get ready for big trouble. Look at the Trevon Martin incident. So here are my thoughts. Don't go to a dangerous place unless there are two of you. An WW II Entrenching tool turned on a 90 angle carried in a holster on a pistol belt makes one hell of a weapon. MACE too. And a firearm as a last resort because the lawyers are just waiting for you to take your entire estate.

Firearms insurance is fairly cheap and covers lawyer fees, bail if needed, civil suit damages sold at different levels and several other factors...

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the threat level depends on where one goes to detect. My detecting for a while now has been on private property with permission. Generally old home sites or big open spaces and privately owned wooded areas. The only predators I have encountered have been of the non human type . I trust my 1911 to take care of those situations as they arrive however.8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread