Lets talk about diamonds !!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup.If you want to give your sweetheart something give her a gem you dug with your own hands,sweat and most likely blood,instead of just somebody elses blood.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me tell you guys - Diamonds are NOT worth crap! I have found many diamonds over the years and no one is willing to buy them. I had a 3/4 karat that was close to perfect color and cut - the guy at the ring store told me to "sell the gold of the diamond ring and put the diamond in a necklace for my wife - No one will give you decent money for the diamond" ARA will give you 10 dollars per point - so if you find a 1 Karat diamond - $100.00 bucks, but you will pay 5,000 for that in the store. Blows me away!!!!!

:icon_scratch: Seems to me the guy was trying to take you, like I talk about. People who are not in the Diamond business will not give you any money for your stones. :dontknow: They will say crap like that so they can keep the profits. If you go to a diamond dealer they WILL pay you something for your stone... :thumbsup: Metal dealers won't... :sadsmiley:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread Mudd!
I kinda got that Impression when I found a 925 GP ring with 6 small chip diamonds in it. I was thinking why would they put them in silver that was GP? Answer- cause the whole ring is only worth the value of the silver!

Ed T- so you found da' diamond in da' beer! Lol! Sorry couldn't help my self!

Guess we would be better off finding that grey, whale up chuck stuff on the beach, it's more valuable!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big was your diamond Ed, what color was it ? :dontknow: Sounds cool, sure wish I could see it !! :headbang:

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you gave away a possible few 100 thousand dollar diamond ?? :icon_scratch: You must have been drunk...!! :tongue3: Even if everyone was telling me quartz crystal. I'd still keep it until I got it checked out. :dontknow: I missed the original posts. Could you please tell me what state or country you found it in ? ??? Maybe by that I can narrow it down if it was quartz or diamond. :icon_scratch: Cause quartz is not found everywhere and neither are diamonds. Maybe it was a white sapphire. :dontknow:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The whole diamond business is a sham, which is why there are jewelry stores everywhere. If you bought an engagement ring "on sale" at 50% off and you go to sell it, expect to get offered 10% or less of what you actually paid. The big jewelers have $300+million dollar profits per quarter because of the huge markup.

If you're in the market buy wholesale, there are those out there not in cahoots. For selling get a gemologist report and sell on eBay to take them out of the loop.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To put it in perspective I bought a 1 caret engagement ring on 14k white gold for a reputable seller on eBay that posts for $1 auction to let the market decide. I won the auction for $1200 and took the ring to my jeweler that said it'd retail for 5 or 6k. I had him make some mods to it (add a crown with more diamonds, resize, etc) for another 1k.

If I took it to a jeweler to sell it I'd be offered about $400 tops. On eBay I'm confident I could get 1200, But maybe not, I have no history of selling diamonds.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
damuzepa.jpg

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the big Scandals in the market. I was trying to sell diamond rings on FeeBay I was selling them for huge discounts. :icon_scratch: I was selling $2000 rings for like $800.00 I got not ONE bid on about 200 listings... :dontknow: Maybe it was the seller rating but I think no one bought because no one knew if they were real. I'm surprised you did that kind of deal on Feebay Mr. Jones. Nice job on upgrading that ring !! 8-)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Red,
You don't have to sugar coat it for us; how do you really feel?

I cant do that here can I mack,i'll get a vacation.:laughing9:We wouldnt want that now would we?I just gave the folks here a little appetizer,kind of like 1 sugar baby out of a 1 pound bag:laughing7:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do admit I was very nervous, but the seller did have good feedback, even for the returns so rolled the dice and couldn't wait to get it to a jeweler. When he said you did very well it was a huge relief! Deals are out there, but there is also the fact that....do you really want to tell your fiancé you got it on feebAy? Hrmmm. Good thing I have a wife now that appreciates a good deal!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
.I don't think that a sapphire would have caused the cold feeling in my mouth as did the diamond in question

How cold was the beer you had the stone sitting in?:laughing7:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Readers digest version of this thread. The vast majority of the rings and jewelry you find is only worth the value of melt value of its metal.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not be much but I'm getting $60.00 a Karot for any diamond I take to the guy. 1 point or 50 points. Cash pd. larger stuff would be sold elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
A good diamond will fetch a good price, the little guys will add up but never will you get what was paid. I just sent in 40 rings last year, some with stones, ARA offered a name of a buyer, 400dollars and they would take them off my hands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my point, 8-) if you have the right stone and the right buyer. :thumbsup: You can get what your stones are worth to some degree. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread