MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Lots of confusion about diamonds and the value they have. :icon_scratch: So lets talk about them. Diamonds smaller than half a carat (.05 CT) are not worth anything. Diamonds chips are found in silver and low karat gold for a reason, because they are not worth anything !! Real diamonds of good size are generally used in 14k gold or higher. A carat is about the size of a dinner pea and average value is about $300 (This is an average, prices change based on cut clarity and color. Know as the Three C's) On rare occasion especially before the 1900's you can find real diamonds in low carat gold or set in silver. Its very rare but more common in older pieces. It was normal to put diamonds in silver settings in the 1800's. It slowly grew out of style.

If you do have a diamond bigger than .05 CT you need to get it appraised. By a professional jeweler. To many characteristics to look at to judge the value of a nice diamond. You need the right tools and you need to know what to look for in the diamond. All diamonds have flaws on the inside of the stones. The fewer flaws means the better stone. Flawless stones are so valuable because all diamonds have flaws and its rare to find flawless pieces... If your stone is flawless its likely fake or worth a million dollars, :laughing7: ask yourself what is more likely ?

Dealers like to tell you the stone is valueless or they don't pay for stones. Even, they don't know how to judge value on stones. People like this don't believe them and don't do business with them anymore. Diamonds have value if they are big enough to see and real. Dealers will tell you otherwise, so they can take the profit on the stones. :BangHead:

Don't scratch glass with your diamond to see if its real you can damage the facets. ??? If you think you have a real stone bigger than .05 CT then take it to someone who can test it. Don't bother with home tests unless you have some experience.

I hope this helps, if people like it I'll maybe add more !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
How about a piece of 18th century jewelry made out of aluminum with a diamond in it?

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a piece of 18th century jewelry made out of aluminum with a diamond in it?

18th Century Aluminium Huh ?? Since Aluminium was discovered in 1825, I'd say its a fake... :tongue3: Having a hard time telling if your being smart or if your serious... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually i was being smart but also serious,I screwed the date up,meant 19th century:laughing9:.kind of a trick question because aluminum when first discovered was worth more than gold due to its light weight.Dont throw out that jewelry with big stones if mounted in aluminum:laughing9:

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what your telling me is... :icon_scratch: I can find a Diamond ring from the 19th century set in aluminum. Possibly dated shortly after 1825.. :dontknow: Now that would be a find !! :headbang: I have to check all my junk aluminium rings for real diamonds.... :BangHead:

See this is what I was hoping would happen. Its amazing what we can teach each other... :thumbsup:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So what your telling me is... I can find a Diamond ring from the 19th century set in aluminum. Possibly dated shortly after 1825.. Now that would be a find !! I have to check all my junk aluminium rings for real diamonds....

See this is what I was hoping would happen. Its amazing what we can teach each other...

I dont see why it wouldnt be possible.What rich guy back then wouldnt buy his wife,girl,a piece of jewelry made out of a newly discovered metal worth more than gold.Theres people today that always need to have the newest of this or that,the same applies to 200 years ago.Gives you something to think about.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info !

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi mud swat,i found a quarter carat earring,with a five dollar detector took it to one of my buyers and she gave me twenty bucks for it.so they are worth a little bit.found a 12 point at the carter of diamonds state park too a while back,some guy in town was giving 10.00 dollars a point for them raw,uncut.wish i would of sold it because now i do not know were it is.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are honest and will give you some value for small diamonds. :thumbsup: A quarter CT is bigger than a chip. You should be grateful you have honest buyers. :headbang:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh ,sorry ya a chips not worth anything unless you make some artwork out of it.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello ed. forgive my ignorance but what is the tia juana made of?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Mudswat... Your statement is a little confusing! I think you mean that Diamonds less than .05 carat or 5 points or 5/1000 sized (i.e. chips) are not worth anything. Many Diamonds less than .50 carat (i.e. 1/2 carat) are worth quite a bit and especially so if they are great in color, clarity and cut.

Frank

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think what MUD was getting at is that the B.S. about diamonds is overblown,my opinion anyway.You have one company with the monopoly on diamonds,screw them.Buy her this buy her that buy her diamonds.Ooooo diamonds are forever screw that B.S...sorry i'll take a nice emerald over a diamond any day,screw you de beers:laughing9:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh,sounds like a great find ed t,what as ya going to do with it anyway?hi Red, there is a de beers for everything i seem to think.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hi Red, there is a de beers for everything i seem to think.

Maybe so,but thats only if you choose it.I go my own way regardless of what the herd does.No consumer zombies(suckers) here

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i here ya red,wish my kids were like ya,can not buy them anything without a tag on it anymore,they will say i got it at a yard sale.:nono:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Got to train them buddy,got to tell them take what i give you ,work for it to buy it yourself or,go with out,take your pick.They dont like it then they go with out.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent thread here , and I'd say long overdue - (thank you Mud for this discussion !)- I would invite any others who are knowledgeable
about diamonds and "precious stones" to contribute to our collective learning . Diamonds indeed are completely misunderstood ,and
hyped , and because of the DeBeers monopoly in South Africa - and the "trickle release" policy in place for decades - diamonds are
probably the most over priced commodities out there - at least with regard to .5 carat and smaller - and white /not colored diamonds.
With the number of diamond rings found on these forums , I think it is important for us to understand not only a basic value for
stones larger than .5 ct , but also how /where to realize that value - should one be interested in selling .

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, :icon_scratch:

You can tell by the sloppiness of my original post. That my knowledge is slightly limited. :dontknow: I kinda just blurted out everything I knew. I made this post because of knowing the disappointment people can go through finding out their stone is not worth anything. :sadsmiley: That feeling sucks, so I want people to have a little better idea what a stone is worth and how to tell... What has no real value so people are not surprised later. That's what happened to me I was shell shocked. I'm also sick of the diamond market taking advantage of people. Selling these small little chip sets and calling them diamonds. For top prices even when the companies know what they are doing is lying and wrong... :BangHead: I'm glad this post was a hit, thanks everyone for your comments !! :notworthy:

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me tell you guys - Diamonds are NOT worth crap! I have found many diamonds over the years and no one is willing to buy them. I had a 3/4 karat that was close to perfect color and cut - the guy at the ring store told me to "sell the gold of the diamond ring and put the diamond in a necklace for my wife - No one will give you decent money for the diamond" ARA will give you 10 dollars per point - so if you find a 1 Karat diamond - $100.00 bucks, but you will pay 5,000 for that in the store. Blows me away!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread