AMATEUR TEENAGE CLUELESS GIRL PLEASE HELP

mermaidreilly

Jul 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am a teenage girl who is broke and has no money for stupid teenage girl stuff. I am currently looking for a job but UNTIL THEN I thought maybe I should try looking through my old coin collection from when I was little. there's probably about 200 coins from us and European countries dating from 1920-1999. I only collected old or funny looking ones. I looked a little through those and haven't seemed to find any rare ones. but my grandpa I know has this old dusty jar of coins he's had for as Long as I can Remember, to be honest he probably forgot all about it haha. it has to have thousands of old old coins. I assume there is BOUND to be at least one coin that has double lettering or a double ear and all that stuff. ANYWAYS MY QUESTION IS is it worth my time to go through ALLLLLL of those coins to look for a rare one that I'm hoping could be a lot of money obviously. or is selling and identifying coins very extremely difficuilt? I really want to try and pursue this but I also don't want to waste my time on something that might just be silly, SO YOU ALL ARE THE PROFFESIONALS AND I NEED YOUR ADVICE!! Is this a good idea or probably gonna end up being a waste of my time? also if you think I should stick with my idea, TIPS AND WEBSITE LINKS AND ALL THAT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL AND APPRECIATED. thank you all so much!:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mermaidreilly

mermaidreilly

Jul 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know any way to prove to you but to promise you all I am for real. but I am dead serious and I actually need a lot of help so any tips and help would be very appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like your grandpa has quite a stash! The question is………how can you get your hands on it? You may have to “off” the old boy. Shouldn’t be that hard depending on his age…….. Something as simple as a roller skate casually left on the basement stairs…….. You know….. Make it look like an accident……..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post by TN rules and treat new members with respect.....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In the long term coins of value should be worth more than selling them now. Should anyway. Gramps stash is gramps,s. Keep growing your own and what is not valuable to you that is yours could maybe buy a roll from the bank or a store to search for odd or rare coins in. A job is a better source of income but there is other work around in the meanwhile.
What do people around your area want help with or are willing to pay to have done? Yardwork,computer lesson,house cleaning,pet care, pool cleaning. Kind of depends on your area. Without spending money, much anyway, a coin shop visit may give you some ideas.If you know a business owner that handles coins in change or a worker at a register you could ask what they do with odd coins and be willing to give them a little more than face value if they would be willing to help you collect. The internet will help research individual coins. A buyer and a seller and a price harder to describe accurately regarding a coins value but there are some ways to estimate. Research spot prices and scrap prices maybe.Rare coin mintage's. Browse around here on T-Net for coins.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I best not post on this one. My thoughts run both ways especially with that avatar. Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would think you maybe should take the coins to a coin shop where they can help you and actually see the coins.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To do it right and go through the jar and identify the valuable coins will work out about the same as taking a job at a grocery store for hours spent vs. dollar returned. If you do find a coin you think is valuable the hard part is connecting with a buyer. They want to get rich every bit as much as you do and are doubtlessly less scrupulous and certainly more practiced ( they already do this for a living). So they'll offer you $4.25 for a coin you found listed at $1,000: because yours is circulated, has no providence (where it came from), will have fault x, y and z, they already have two in better shape they can't sell, etc.

A week later if you go back it will be in his display for $850.

Hard truths:

If it is gold or silver it has value. May or may not be worth more than the metal it contains.

Foreign coins other than gold or silver have very little following in the U.S.

Condition is everything for value.

Dealers will never pay list. 40% to 60% depending what you have.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well you have to actually look at each one, the good ones don't jump out for you

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its worth the effort. :thumbsup: You really could find that Gem. :headbang:Get a price guide, sit down with Gramps if you can and go through both collections. 8-) It will be a great way to bond with whoever goes through it with you.
Maybe gramps had that 1943 copper version of the steel penny. One known left and worth over 1 million dollars !! :notworthy:

Keep @ It and HH !! :hello2:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would talk to gramps first about the coins, and not dare try to rip him off. Karma can be a bad thing. Not saying that was your intentions.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to get great coins at face value, I would highly recommend coin roll hunting. Its real easy.. just go to the bank and purchase whatever you want to find. Half dollars, quarters, and dimes, some have silver. War nickels do too. Hunting pennies have the most opportunities for varieties. Once you have determined there are no collectables in a roll, you can dump them at a different bank. You can learn more about this by reading the CRH section of this site. There are some really cool members on those posts, they will welcome you and give you great tips. Good luck, and happy hunting!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread